Review by Excitedreads -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Review by Excitedreads -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Excitedreads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The murder mystery named The 11:05 Murders written by Brian O’Hare is a scintillating page turner and I rate it a solid 4 out of 4 because it’s a worthy read with picturesque detail and mystery at every turn. It is the second book in the Inspector Sheehan Mysteries; a work of fictional crime thriller that feels real by the writer’s charismatic, pictorial writing, appealing to those of us who enjoy a suspenseful thrill driven by mystery and ghastly crimes.

The author’s sets the story in Northern Ireland, where there are murders that occur at 11:05pm on Tuesday nights that may or may not have connections to a heinous crime that occurred some twelve years prior. The murders are grotesque and confusing, leaving mobsters, lovers and many other in the wake as dubious suspects. This, complicated by the imagination of Sargeant Denise Stewart, an infotmant and an unruly stalker makes the book a plot twisting, memorably mind blowing thrill, worthwhile to both mystery and non mystery lovers alike.

The police work by no means exceeds what happens in reality, and the lack of attention in society to some flagitous crimes have become tolerated by society but are in actuality real issues that many times get shoved under the rug. The author inadvertently sites the way said societal issues can nudge people’s lives upwardly or quite the opposite and in turn can have further later consequences. The author depicts these issues with so much emotion and attention to detail, I couldn’t help but to feel the pain of the characters and be engrossed as the story unfolded.

As I became engrossed, Sargeant Denise Stewart’s compassionate character under her hard external shell stood out to me. Her thoughtfulness, her inclination to help those in need and her courage to do so in whichever way she could, regardless of her own precarious circumstances really moved me. I even saw the same characteristics reflected in Inspector Sheehan in his interaction with his team of law enforcers. That, together with their wit, introspect and ability to think outside of the box made the book all the more endearing and made me want to take a few pages from their characters or should I say the author’s portrayal of their characters. I felt like they highlighted how difficult it is to come out of your comfort zone and really pay attention to the things around you, not only for yourself but for those that may need your assistance. Their compassion, cleverness and confidence resurfaced some within myself, that i may even be inclined to figure out some crimes of my own! Even if it is just who stole the milk, or helping a neighbour in need.

All in all The 11:05 Murders proves to be a brilliant page turner with mystery at every corner; a worthy crime thriller that even addresses socital issues that go unnoticed portrayed wonderfully by the wit and charm of the writer and his pool of characters.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Excitedreads's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

I like your confidence in figuring out the mysteries around you. That was an interesting reaction to a crime fighting story.
* *I miss snow!* *
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

You have written a nice review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I like the fact that you pointed out the ills in the society and the fact that what obtains in real life is well below what happened in the book. I hate ghastly crime scenes though but Well done and keep it up.

-- 08 Aug 2017, 11:48 --

Meanwhile, please check out my review of "searching for paradise" I will expect you on my timeline. Thanks
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review. I really wanted to avoid this book due to it's story. Since, that story mirrored our generation for today. The days are evil but when a person is in the hand of God; there is nothing to worry about. Thanks for your review.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>

Post by Excitedreads »

Thank you! Try the book. It really was a great read. Exciting from beginning to end. You can check out my next review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am a huge fan of novels full mystery, thriller and killings ??
I loved your review and book seems worth reading
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kerron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kerron »

Not a bad review! Not my type if book though. I more like supernatural style fiction novels. But thank u anyway!
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Great review! I liked this book a lot. It definitely was a page-turner once it got going. I noticed those similarities between Sheehan and Stewart as well. Honestly, their relationship was one of my favorite parts of the book. It was so genuine and they played off each other so well!
Excitedreads

Post by Excitedreads »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:Great review! I liked this book a lot. It definitely was a page-turner once it got going. I noticed those similarities between Sheehan and Stewart as well. Honestly, their relationship was one of my favorite parts of the book. It was so genuine and they played off each other so well!
Thank you. It was one of my favourites as well.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I've read many reviews on this book that have led me to be unsure if I want to read this but your review has really started my wheels turning - should I read this? Who knows? Thanks.
Excitedreads

Post by Excitedreads »

Thank you @Jamie Lync. It msynjudt be worthwhile... you never know ;)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”