Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.2 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on April 12, 2016, at 12:36 pm by ashley_claire.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

Raven's Peak

by Lincoln Cole

The First Ten

Because Raven's Peak was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I sampled the book a while ago since it is April's BOTM and ended up buying it. The cover is eye-catching and the blurb concise and to the point. The official reviews whet my appetite further. The opening pages hooked me from the start and interested me enough to want to read the balance of the book. I found just a couple of typos, such as "it's" instead of "its", but nothing major. I am reading the book right now and enjoy it.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 10:04 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

James Craft

This one is definitely right up my alley. I love good Urban Fantasy stories, and I love the cover for this. It is clean, well-designed, and simple and the book sounds incredible. Just from the first pages, I am hooked and I can't wait to find out what happens later. Plus, it looks like the entire series is finished, which is always a good thing because it means I won't be stuck waiting around to read more down the line. This is definitely going on my TBR list, and bumping up near the top right now! Especially since it is the BOTM in a couple of days.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 10:04 am by James Craft.

Scerakor

The blurb, cover, review on OBC and reviews for this book were excellently presented and all made me want to look further into this book. Had I not been given the opportunity to sample the first ten pages, I would likely have considered reading/sampling it anyways as the description was right up my alley. A good combination of fantasy, horror, and moral struggle is hard to find. Reading the first ten pages only confirmed to me that this book will make it onto my to-read list. Although I likely won’t buy the book today, I will most definitely put it onto my TBR list to tackle at a later date. I absolutely loved the moral struggle presented by Arthur and the build-up of suspense within the first few pages. Evidently Arthur has some special abilities and is highly sought after. Similarly, he evokes fear not only from the guards and Frieda, but also from himself. I really want to see where this is going. From what I have sampled, I see no issues with how this book was written or edited. I read the official review on OBC and it only encouraged me to read more of the book.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 10:29 am by Scerakor.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Sarah_Khan

I really like the creepy cover of this book. I think the blurb is adequately written.
For me, the first ten pages can be summed up in one word... wow! The book starts off intriguing and I did not want to stop reading. It is also professionally edited and well-written. The only reason I will not purchase this book today is because, unfortunately, I have too much on my plate right now. But I could definitely see how fans of horror might enjoy this novel.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 11:30 am by Sarah_Khan.

Momlovesbooks

The cover of this book is eye-catching. It hints at darkness and mystery. I read the OBC review and thought it would be a book I would enjoy. I read the sample and was hooked. The first character I read about was so unusual and tortured in spirit. The book seems to be well-written and very detailed. I want to know how this depraved character will be used for good. I'll be purchasing this book!

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 1:07 pm by Momlovesbooks.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance books. Having read the sample, I liked how the character's feelings were described. However, there were many descriptions. The book seems professionally edited. It has a favorable onlinebookclub review. I do not read this genre usually and hence, I will not be purchasing the book today.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 1:15 pm by AA1495.

jamesabr

The exposition was well done in the first ten pages. I was left wanting to know more about Arthur's past life and why Frieda was dependent on him. If I were not a part of this program, I would have sampled this book due to the positive review that it received on Online Book Club. The reviewer noted that the book's story drew him/her in from the first page, and I can see why. The most thrilling portion, for me, occurred when Arthur held the older guard's arm as if he was going to break it. The suspense supplemented the tone and gave me some insight into Arthur's mindset and status in the prison as "The Reverend". I will definitely purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 1:45 pm by jamesabr.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I would pick the book up because I like the genre and the storyline sounds interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I definitely think the author does a great job hooking the author in. The prologue was very chilling and entertaining. However, I don't think I am going to finish it mainly because this book is the first in a series and I really am not enticed enough to read the rest of the series.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 2:13 pm by CrescentMoon.

Kdonegan91

The cover and title drew me to this book immediately. However after reading the sample, I have decided not to buy this book. It was too gruesome and graphic for me. So much so that it was hard to finish the sample.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 2:59 pm by Kdonegan91.

Bfrisco

Frankly, the title might have interested me, but I don't think I would have looked into this book given its cover. The description also put me off a little, perhaps because people were described as "acting crazy". I'm glad I read the excerpt, however, because I was entirely engaged from the first sentence. The official review also helped give me an overview of the book's plot and the relationship between the main characters. I was excited to hear that it didn't become romantic. I have already downloaded the book to continue reading, so yes, I do plan to continue reading. I think the author did an incredible job establishing the characters and conveying feeling as well as setting.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 4:21 pm by Bfrisco.

Vermont Reviews

This is one scary story. After reading the preview I knew I wanted to finish the whole story. Well written with great characters. Arthur and Abigail are about to have quite the adventure. Congratulations to Lincoln Cole he has that rare storytelling gift.
Vermont Reviews

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 4:53 pm by Vermont Reviews.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. It looks interesting from the cover and blurb. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. The writing was engaging and I especially liked how the dialogue was written in short bursts, a few words at a time from each person. It was professionally edited. The official review made me want to read the book a little less because the reviewer had a problem with one of the main characters.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 7:01 pm by psychopathycathy.

bookowlie

The Amazon summary really grabbed me as well as the stylish cover. It's well written and the plot looks interesting. I also read another book by this author and liked his writing, so that's another plus. The sample pages are also well written and the story seems very unique. I also read the positive Official Review, although I am not thrilled knowing that there are very gory scenes. Taking everything into acocunt, I am definitely intrigued enough to read further.

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 8:05 pm by bookowlie.

CataclysmicKnight

The cover definitely hinted at the darkness of this book well. So far this book has absolutely captured every bit of my attention, it was hard to stop reading the sample to write these few sentences! The writing is beyond engrossing and it's already clear there's a great plot coming. The fact that it's also book of the month is all the more reason to continue reading it!

First Ten review added on March 24, 2017, at 10:07 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

Shreyoshi Sen

I would definitely not go with the editorial reviews completely to purchase this book but sure I would buy this book because I personally like Arthur's part but nothe now offcourse. The book is professionally edited as I did not find noticenable mistakes and it also had an official onlinebookclub review. I liked Arthur's part very much.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 12:26 am by Shreyoshi Sen.

Gravy

I was interested in this before, and, despite not enjoying the sample as much as I thought I would (the mood wasn't what I expected), I'm still interested, though on the fence. What I read was well written, with strong character development (always a plus for me), and seemed to be professionally edited. The cover is brilliant and fitting.
I'm strongly considering reading this, but am waiting for a few more trusty opinions, so I have to answer no at the moment.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:06 am by Gravy.

hsimone

I love how the cover and title seem to fit very well together. I would have liked to know a bit more about how the town's people are acting crazy, but aside from that the blurb piques my interest. The genre (horror) is one that I have visited at times, and find myself interested. The reviews, in general, seem mainly positive, including the OBC one. Also, this is April's Book of the Month on OBC. Overall, I would have sampled this read without this program.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. I find it interesting that the "crazy" that might be affecting the town is potentially something that makes people hurt themselves? To be honest, I cringed each time the Reverend hit/hurt himself. This both intrigues me and puts me off. I fear for more violence and goriness, but want to continue reading. Because I was pulled into the story fairly quickly and the fact that this is OBC's April BOTM, I do plan on purchasing this book and finishing it prior to the book discussion next month.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 5:31 am by hsimone.

dhomespot

The cover and the blurb drew my attention to this book. The review just reinforced my desire to purchase this book. I bought it and started reading it right away. I was caught in the books spell within the first 10 pages and beyond. It does seem to be professionally edited from what I have read so far.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 7:06 am by dhomespot.

ananya92

The book has been categorized in the horror genre, and circles around demon hunting and the question of whether to believe. From the prologue itself, which focuses on the morality of certain acts committed by a Reverend, it is evident that morality and faith are two important issues in this book, within the larger canvas of a horror story. The book tries to explore both of the issues through the story. The editing is slightly patchy in some places, which needs to be corrected. Though the review was quite encouraging and the author's writing style was pretty engaging too, I confess that I'm not too fond of gore, and based on solely this personal inclination I would skip this one.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 9:12 am by ananya92.

chocomeiske

What an intriguing cover and the description has surely piqued my interest. The sample was it was amazing! I would love a print copy of this to read at my leisure. It sounds right up my alley and that Reverend is an interesting character for sure. This book has been professionally edited in my humble opinion.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 9:54 am by chocomeiske.

MarisaRose

When I first saw that "Raven's Peak" was going to be the April Book of the Month I decided I would read the book so I could participate in OBC discussions. The plot synopsis intrigued me as well; I enjoy books dealing with paranormal/horror themes. After sampling the beginning of the book, I was really drawn in by the writing as well as the story. I was easily immersed in the prologue; both the well written imagery and the disturbing characters pulled me in. I didn't notice anything in the sample that I did not like, nor did I notice any grammatical errors. The OBC review did not sway my decision in this instance, but the fact that it will be April's Book of the Month did. If not for that, I would probably not have decided to read Raven's Peak at this time simply due to time constraints.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 3:38 pm by MarisaRose.

mratdegraff91

The cover of this novel is frightening. It did catch my eye though and encourage me to read the summary. However, what really sold me on the book was the OnlineBookClub review. I enjoyed the sample and did not observe any errors, but the review is what sparked my decision to go ahead and download the novel. I am curious to see where the adventure takes Abagail and Haatim.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 4:44 pm by mratdegraff91.

L_Therese

I really had a debate about finishing this one. On the one hand, the cover is intriguing. On the other, the horror is not a genre I typically enjoy. Then again, the reviewer said all kinds of nice things about this book. But then also, I have WAY too many books on my "to read" list. The sample was intriguing and seemed well written, but it didn't demand my attention. In the end, I decided that I would not add it to the list at this time.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 6:01 pm by L_Therese.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read this book because of the genre. I love horror. Plus, the cover was inviting and it sounded like a great story.

I bought the book and I intend to read the whole book eventually. I was already drawn to the book and what unfolded in the first ten pages was very promising.

The book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

The book starts off very dark, setting up a story that already seems to be compelling and creepy. I even found myself reading past the first ten pages. I'm looking forward to finding out how the story turns out.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 11:17 pm by truebookaddict.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the genre. It's been a while since I have read a horror story, and this one sounded interesting. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I thought the imagery was great, but the story itself isn't for me. I also didn't realize initially that it was the first book in a series. Unfortunately I don't have time for a series currently, and I don't like leaving a series unfinished. It did seem to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on March 25, 2017, at 11:57 pm by anneloretrujillo.

Cjgarland89

I would have sampled this book based on the cover and title because it screams horror and intensity. Both of which I love. The OBC review confirmed my thoughts about the book and just further convinced me I would enjoy it. After sampling I was instantly into the story and had to purchase the book to finish it. I can't wait to see where the plot goes.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 12:16 am by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I think I will be reading this book because it seems interesting and I am in the mood for a horror novel. I will be reading this book because the first ten pages kept the plot going, and it wasn't just filled with information. The plot also sounds very interseting with Raven's Peak. It seems professionally edited. I did not see any review, and I don't think that would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on March 26, 2017, at 3:27 am by jungkookblog.

ZenaLei7

I usually don't read books like this book and after reading the first ten pages, I will not finish reading the book. The book had a lot of suspense and tension in it, but it didn't interest me enough to read it. I didn't notice any major grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added 6 days ago by ZenaLei7.

Amagine

I love the front cover image of the crow. It gives me an eerie feeling and I can immediately hypothesize that the book is dark just from the cover. The plot is well placed and there are no grammatical errors. The action scenes are a little too long but still quite exciting. The characters are fleshed out and readers will take a liking to them. This is a book that will attract many fans who like the supernatural genre.

First Ten review added 6 days ago by Amagine.

klbradley

The first thing that caught my attention on this book was all the incredible 4 star ratings from volunteer reviews. To have that many readers to give a book a perfect rating, really says something about the writers ability to catch and contain a reader. I'm looking forward to reading this one, and hopefully agreeing with the great ratings!

First Ten review added 5 days ago by klbradley.

Christina O Phillips

I had already heard about this book because it is the book of the month. Based on the summary, it sounded right up my alley. I enjoyed the prologue; it set up the mystery of what was going on in the outside world and I wanted to know more about the Reverend (why was he flogging himself, why was he in that jail place) and the world that the story takes place in. The first few pages are very well-written: readers get a good mix of story and questions. It made me want to keep reading.

First Ten review added 5 days ago by Christina O Phillips.

Total ~ 58%

This book earned a score of 58%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 58% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has Raven's Peak in their shelves?

More than 28 members have Raven's Peak in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

Scott

Currently Reading Shelf

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

gali

3-Star Shelf

Divephantom19

Want To Read Shelf

KelseyE

Want To Read Shelf

NookWorm

Want To Read Shelf