Please log in to add this book to one of your shelves. If you do not already have an account, register one now! It's easy and completely free, and will let you create your own shelves at Online Book Club!

Average Rating: 3.5 out of 4

Book added to OnlineBookClub.org
on August 15, 2016, at 4:00 pm by katiesquilts.

View shelf-filling rankings

Nominate/Vote for Book of the Month

ISBN: 9781681600727

The 11.05 Murders

by Brian O'Hare

The First Ten

Because The 11.05 Murders was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted reviewers have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book. The reviewers even read at least the first 10 pages of the book. They have each written a short review explaining why they plan to read the whole book or not based on the sample they read and other aspects of the book. Their feedback is displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

gali

I may have sampled the book on my own, as I like the genre. The cover suits the book, and the blurb is adequate. The official review is the one that had me hooked though. The book sure starts with a bang (with the rape of the student), but the pace slowed down after that. Still, the next scene was well done and well written, introducing the heroine. The premise sounds promising enough, but it doesn't seem too different from other books of its type. I would have read the book based on the sample if I had time. As I have too many books on my list as it is, I won't buy the book right now.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 10:43 am by gali.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

ashley_claire

I find this cover intriguing and really like how the clock is subtly worked into the background. It seems like it would stand out among other books. The multiple rave reviews of this book promise an entertaining read. The book is professionally edited and the story moved along quite easily. DS Stewart seems like she will be a very interesting character to read about with lots of layers to delve into. The only thing holding me back from wanting to continue the story right now is the romance aspect. In the first ten pages there are already two potential love interests. Right now I'd prefer to read a book that focuses more on the mystery and less on romance. I could see giving this book a read at another time, but right now it's not what I'm looking for.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 10:54 am by ashley_claire.

Vermont Reviews

The 11:05 murders today's book of the day by Brian O'hare is a story about Detective Denise Stewart who exposes a corrupt inspector and brings him to justice. I love murder mysteries. I decided to add this one to my 2017 reading list.
Thanks vermont reviews

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 11:47 am by Vermont Reviews.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, the cover art and the title do not appeal to me so I doubt I would have picked this book up if it was not part of the first ten program. Although the online book club review was favorable, it did not do anything to change my first impression.

After reading the first ten pages, I was pleasantly surprised. This novel seems professionally edited and it is well-written. The plot was intriguing from the start, and I did not want to stop reading. Unfortunately, I feel like murder mystery stories are all the same in the end, therefore I do not intend to read the rest of this book.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 1:09 pm by Sarah_Khan.

bookowlie

I like mysteries so the summary blurb caught my interest. The stylish cover also made me want to know more about the book. There is one error in the blurb - "university" should be capitalized because it's part of a proper name (Queen's University). Also, the review excerpts should be in quotes. The beginning pages are well written, but it was harsh that a woman is about to be raped in the first chapter. It made me think that there would be other violent sex scenes in the book, which is not my reading taste. Although the Official Review is very positive, this book doesn't seem to be my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 1:49 pm by bookowlie.

jamesabr

I enjoyed the look into the mind of a rapist (not really, but it was interesting) in the Prologue. The perspective was disturbing, but managed to lead into the first chapter very well. If I were not part of The First Ten program, I would have likely sampled this book due to the positive review it received on Online Book Club. It was very positive about the style. The best part, to me, was the beginning of chapter one, in which Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart enters the story. I will definitely purchase and read this book. There were no typos or grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 3:05 pm by jamesabr.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample, I would have read the book. The blurb is extremely interesting and I like the cover as well. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind. I was hooked from the very beginning; the writing was extremely engaging and I loved how the story started off in somebody's thoughts. The book was professionally edited - though I wonder why 11.05 (instead of 11:05) is used sometimes (like in the blurb). I did not read an official review but this did not change my mind.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 5:20 pm by psychopathycathy.

CrescentMoon

I think the cover is fitting for what the book is about. I generally like reading crime and mystery novels so I would probably pick this book up out of curiosity. After reading the first ten pages though, I found it kind of dry. I wasn't really enticed to read the rest.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 5:42 pm by CrescentMoon.

Momlovesbooks

I love a good mystery/thriller. The cover of this book looked interesting. I read the review by the OBC, which was a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. After reading the sample, I knew my initial impression was correct. The main character seems to be a strong individual. I was drawn to her from the beginning. This book will be full of suspense. I can't wait to read the rest of it.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 8:11 pm by Momlovesbooks.

Bfrisco

The cover was not very engaging for me, but the blurb was interesting enough that I might have looked into this book if it wasn't the book of the day. I personally wouldn't choose to continue reading the book.
The beginning was very engaging and seemed to portray a sociopathic character effectively, however, it was a little difficult to read, because sexual violence is a difficult subject for me personally. Additionally, I was a little frustrated with the characterization of the detectives after I finished the prologue. Perhaps they would become more endearing after the fact, but from what I read, I didn't find them engaging or likeable.
I did think the book was professionally edited. As I said, the prologue was engaging, and I didn't notice any errors. I think seeing the inner world of the character in the prologue was the most interesting part for me. I also feel like descriptive language was relatively good.
I think the dialogue was a little stiff and unrealistic. I also felt like the discussion regarding the circumstances surrounding Denise's promotion could have been brought up a little more naturally. It felt forced to me.

First Ten review added on February 22, 2017, at 9:47 pm by Bfrisco.

ZenaLei7

The story started off pretty well. It had suspense and tension in the first chapter but as I got deeper and deeper into the book, I didn't like how the book kept switching narratives from one character to the other. It was a lot to keep up with. I won't read the whole book, because it didn't interest me enough. I also didn't see any grammatical errors either.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 12:09 am by ZenaLei7.

Kdonegan91

Honestly, I was not very interested in this book by the cover and title alone. However, the sample completely changed my perspective. The author's style of writing really captivated me and left me wanting more. The OBC review just enhanced my curiosity. I will be purchasing this book.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 12:35 am by Kdonegan91.

ananya92

While the description and the official review piqued my interest, after reading the sample, I'm completely convinced that I definitely want to read this one. The narration is superb: telling the story from the point of view of different characters, the smooth flow of the story, the adequately vivid writing and most of all, the realistic depiction of the characters and their interactions with each other. Apart from excellent writing style, the characterization itself is quite interesting. Women Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart figures prominently in the sample, though the story is part of the Sheehan series. Though I was intrigued by the sample, I think there is scope for a higher degree of unpredictability in the plot line. However, the review suggests that the novel scores high on suspense, so I'll go ahead with reading the complete book. Another point in its favor is that this book can be read as a standalone novel and reading the previous book is not necessary.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 3:19 am by ananya92.

L_Therese

As I was considering this book, there were three factors that mattered: the praise for the suspense and plot twists, the criticism of Stewart's character development, and the warning about violence and gore. Not being enthusiastic about reading particularly violent books (with rare exceptions), I was thinking that I probably would not finish this one. When I read the first ten pages, horrifying sexual violence was immediate. When the narrative switched over to Stewart, it was a little easier to read, but I knew by that time that this was not a novel for me. The author made it too vivid for me.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 7:49 am by L_Therese.

SandraTWP-BRW

The cover illustration itself would not have drawn me in two read this book. However, I found the title intriguing, and the use of color on the cover really offset the title and drew my attention. The real draw, though, were the blurb and reviews on the listing.

Having read the first portion of the book, I can say that this feels like a "comfy" mystery - the plot is being set up with a complex but relatable character who's going to through a tough time at work, couched in the familiar plot setting of internal police relations. I settled in pretty quickly, listening to the main character's thoughts and pondering how this will all move forward in the larger arc of the story.

I noted no editorial or typographical errors.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 8:04 am by SandraTWP-BRW.

James Craft

I actually already purchased my copy of this book and I'm seriously looking forward to checking it out. The cover is awesome, though the words could be a little bit easier to read, and the hook of the book captivated me right away. All in all, this seems like a really well rounded project and one I'm looking forward to reading!

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 12:14 pm by James Craft.

hsimone

Everything about this book intrigues me - the dark, yet intriguing cover, the mysterious title, the genre, the amazing ratings (both customer and OBC), and then the blurb ties everything together nicely. Therefore, even without this program, I would have sampled this read.

Based on what I read, the book does seem to be professionally edited. The beginning sort of gave me a creepy/uncomfortable feeling even before the first girl was knocked out, which is something I think is appropriate for this book and speaks volumes of what this author can do. I will say insinuating rape is a bit of an uncomfortable subject. However, the book seems to be crafted so well that I plan on purchasing and finishing the read.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 2:24 pm by hsimone.

kstockard

First off, the cover and the title draw me to this book. The reviews that I have read so far would make me pick up this book to read. I really enjoyed the first ten pages of the book and I definitely will continue to read this one. The first ten pages are enticing and make me curious about the rest.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 2:41 pm by kstockard.

Cjgarland89

Immediately I knew this was going to be to my liking based on the cover and the description. After sampling the first ten, it felt like I was reading one of my favorite author's books/series. The immediate action really got my attention, and I love starting a book that way. I didn't see any errors in the sample. The OBC review was great and convinced me even more so that this was a good fit for me. I will be reading this one soon.

First Ten review added on February 23, 2017, at 10:42 pm by Cjgarland89.

jungkookblog

I think I would be reading this book because the time 11:05 seems like there's a lot of mystery behind it. I am going to be reading this book because it seems like it would be a great book that keeps me on my toes. The first ten pages were really in depth and they caught my attention. It seems professionally edited. I did not see a review, and I don't think it would affect my decision.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 1:17 am by jungkookblog.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book without this program. I like the cover and title. The genre is one I usually enjoy. The OBC review also had me intrigued. After reading the first ten pages, I will not be buying this book. I really wasn't a fan of the sentence structure. The sentences were lengthy with choppy phrases. It wasn't my style. The description was good. It made me visualize what was happening. It also seemed to be professionally edited.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 1:28 am by anneloretrujillo.

Gravy

I didn't notice any errors, and the style was very readable. Sadly, mystery is just not something I read very often. I can't really put a name on what draws me to read them, but this didn't do it. I would likely recommend it to fans of the genre. I don't plan to read this.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 2:17 am by Gravy.

AA1495

Had I not sampled the book, I wouldn't have read it. I usually read romance or comedy books. Having read the sample, my opinion remains. I liked how the characters were introduced. However, I found the pace of the plot a little slow. The book seems to be professionally edited. It has a favorable Onlinebookclub review. While I'm sure it is a well written book, I will not be reading this book further.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 4:07 am by AA1495.

klbradley

I love murder mysteries, especially when they have a physiological thriller theme included, which I feel like this one will. I like the addition that the murders always happen at the same time, giving an eerie feeling to an already creepy story. If my list to read was not so long currently, I would definitely snatch this one up. I feel this is one I would have chosen on my own as well.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 6:47 am by klbradley.

truebookaddict

Had I not sampled the first ten pages as part of this program, I would have chosen to read/sample this title based on it sounding like a first-rate mystery/thriller, and because of the number of high ratings it has received.

I normally would not buy a book at this price, as it's above my eBook spending limit. However, in this case I did buy it and plan to read the whole book eventually; probably sooner than later. The first ten pages really set up the story well and I look forward to finding out the outcome.

This book seems to be professionally edited. I did not notice typos or grammatical errors.

Wow! This starts off with a very sinister edge. I was immediately reminded of stories from Val McDermid. That alone made me want to keep reading. This sociopathic (I'm assuming) man in the early pages is very scary in his calculating coldness. Definitely makes me want to keep reading.

This book was officially reviewed on OBC.

First Ten review added on February 24, 2017, at 8:44 am by truebookaddict.

Total ~ 52%

This book earned a score of 52%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 52% plan to read the whole book.

Who Has The 11.05 Murders in their shelves?

More than 28 members have The 11.05 Murders in their shelves. Log in to see the full count. If you do not already have an account, create one now. It is easy and free! You just choose a display name and password. It is that easy!

When you log in, you can sort all the books by how many members have the books in their shelves (i.e. see the most popular books on Bookshelves). It is a great way to discover new books to read.

ilovebooks2

Want To Read Shelf

Mom14043

Want To Read Shelf

Radhika_17

Want To Read Shelf

sherriska--22

Want To Read Shelf

mstoya901

Want To Read Shelf

karatheredhead

Want To Read Shelf