Review by angiejack456 -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
angiejack456
Currently Reading: What She Knew
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by angiejack456 -- The Altitude Journals

Post by angiejack456 » 01 May 2019, 16:14

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Mauro had reached a low point in his life. Freshly divorced and feeling like a failure, he found himself despondent and hopeless. While he may have given up on himself, others had not. His brother-in-law sent him a set of hiking poles and an invitation to climb Denali, the highest mountain in North America. At age 44, he had never climbed before but accepted the offer. He explained, “A person who believes he has nothing left to lose is a fantastic and dangerous soul.” He clings to the confidence placed in him and hopes this pursuit can help him find the ability to believe in himself again.

The Altitude Journals, a memoir by David J. Mauro, details not only his successful Denali climb but also his struggles and triumphs as he goes on to climb all of the Seven Summits, the highest peaks on each of the earth’s continents. This rare quest sets his life, “on a path through forest and wasteland, over glaciers and clouds, bedside cannibals and penguins, and in the company of elephants and gunrunners.” His journey and experiences were so compelling that I was hooked as soon as I read the prologue.

Mauro writes with such openness and vulnerability that it is impossible not to get caught up in his story. He is not a world class athlete. He is a normal guy with challenges who decides to climb a mountain and work through his pain. His story is completely genuine and entirely relatable. I appreciated his humble approach to each climb. After his first successful summit, he does not set out to conquer the rest but rather listens to an inner voice and follows its promptings. In his words, “I believe life has laid out an incredible path for each of us, and when we quiet our minds, it is revealed one stone at a time.”

The magic of Mauro’s writing is demonstrated in his ability to make his readers become part of his incredible journey. From the mental and physical preparation for each unique mountain to the life-affirming summit of each peak, I felt like I was a part of the expedition. Through sweltering jungles and across wind-blown glaciers, I thrilled in each new experience Mauro shared while I stayed safely on my couch. He deftly weaves facts, details, and humor along with his own personal narrative, creating a story that flowed with ease across each page.

I know I am reading an amazing book when I can’t stop thinking and talking about it. This is exactly what happened as I read The Altitude Journals. In fact, my compulsion to overshare all the insights I gained while reading this book may be its only negative takeaway. Mauro’s breathtaking account sparked an interest that left me wanting to discover more.

I am delighted to award this book 4 out of 4 stars. With writing so engrossing, I had a hard time finding any errors and applaud the excellent editing job. I was hoping to read a memoir filled with adventure and excitement, and I was pleased to find this book offered this and so much more. I recommend this book to all ages seeking adventure and upliftment. This introspective and exhilarating journey will leave you feeling on top of the world.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like angiejack456's review? Post a comment saying so!

bigscarythingy
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy » 27 May 2019, 01:22

So true that the writer's accessibility is a big plus here. A beautifully written review.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 27 May 2019, 01:49

This sounds very interesting and inspiring. I’ve never read anything like this before, and I’m intrigued to know more about Mauro. I’ll have to keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 27 May 2019, 06:17

Thank you for the review! I'm currently reading this and I love it so far :)
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 27 May 2019, 23:00

Letora wrote:
27 May 2019, 06:17
Thank you for the review! I'm currently reading this and I love it so far :)
Glad you are enjoying it. It's definitely one of my favorites!

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 27 May 2019, 23:09

bigscarythingy wrote:
27 May 2019, 01:22
So true that the writer's accessibility is a big plus here. A beautifully written review.
Thanks for your kind comments!

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 27 May 2019, 23:26

maggi3 wrote:
27 May 2019, 01:49
This sounds very interesting and inspiring. I’ve never read anything like this before, and I’m intrigued to know more about Mauro. I’ll have to keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review!
I don't think you would regret giving this book a chance. It's truly an amazing read. Thanks for your comments!

Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 » 30 May 2019, 19:55

Sounds like a fascinating tale. To go from a state of giving up on himself to conquering all the seven summits must be inspiring to other readers. I think I must give it a try. So, thanks for your wonderful review.

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 31 May 2019, 09:38

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote:
30 May 2019, 19:55
Sounds like a fascinating tale. To go from a state of giving up on himself to conquering all the seven summits must be inspiring to other readers. I think I must give it a try. So, thanks for your wonderful review.
It really is inspiring. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for commenting!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 02 Jun 2019, 12:24

The idea that the author is just a normal guy climbing all these summits is appealing. This sounds motivating and uplifting. Thanks for your beautiful review!

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 02 Jun 2019, 21:06

kdstrack wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 12:24
The idea that the author is just a normal guy climbing all these summits is appealing. This sounds motivating and uplifting. Thanks for your beautiful review!
Thanks for commenting! I think that one of the the more appealing aspects of this book is how normal and real the author is. Like he could be your neighbor telling you about all his adventures!

Shrabastee
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 113
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Shrabastee » 04 Jun 2019, 00:42

I would say you caught the spirit of the book perfectly in your review. Having read and reviewed this book myself, I can attest that his vulnerability,openness,and humble approach hold much of the charm. With so many books around,we often do not find time to go back to a particular book. But for this one, I feel it is worth reading again and again. Thanks for the insightful review!

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 04 Jun 2019, 08:43

Yes! This is definitely on my list of favorite books of all time!

angiejack456

Post by angiejack456 » 04 Jun 2019, 08:46

Shrabastee wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 00:42
I would say you caught the spirit of the book perfectly in your review. Having read and reviewed this book myself, I can attest that his vulnerability,openness,and humble approach hold much of the charm. With so many books around,we often do not find time to go back to a particular book. But for this one, I feel it is worth reading again and again. Thanks for the insightful review!
Yes! This is definitely on my list of favorite books of all time!

Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Charlyt » 19 Jun 2019, 00:51

Seems like a wonderful and inspiring book. I'd like to read it some time.Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”