Cover for The Warramunga's War

The First Ten Focus Group Feedback for The Warramunga's War

Because The Warramunga's War was Book of the Day, some of our most trusted members have carefully looked over the cover, the description, and other aspects of this book as a part of purchase-intent focus group. We then asked each participant in the focus group if they planned to buy and read the book, and why they planned to buy and read the book or not. Their answer to that question and reasons are displayed below. We call this awesome feature The First Ten Focus Group.

Keep in mind, the responses from the members are not reviews. This is purchase-intent focus group which means the participants are people who have NOT yet bought or read your book. A purchase-intent focus group is an important and extremely useful marketing tool for any product, not just books. For other products, you might walk on the street and show people an item in a package and poll them about whether they would buy if or $X or not. These kind of focus groups are one of the ways big marketing companies find the ideal price points for products and test the effectiveness of different packaging. The focus group can help you identify your market so you how to target ads of your book, and it can (but may not) provide you new useful info about your "packaging" (e.g. your book cover, your book synopsis on Amazon, etc.). The point of the focus group comments is to give you information from people who have not bought or read your book about why they plan to buy your book which will help you in marketing the book. These are not reviews or critiques of your book because they are not from people have read the book. This is a marketing tool, not reviews. The trick of book marketing and book advertising is that you have to convince people who have not read your book yet that your book is worth buying and reading. For marketing, it doesn't matter much if people love your book after reading it if you cannot convince potential buyers before they read it that they will love it.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable. This is because we only poll about 20 or so readers, and all readers have to say "no" to almost all books. Over a million books are published each year. Even a very active reader cannot come close to even reading 1% of books out there.

This is also why publishing books is such a tough industry.

ritah

Based on the cover and title, I wouldn't have sampled the book because it doesn't appeal to me. I read the official review. However, the only available format on Amazon is paperback and the Barnes and Noble link led to a no results page. Therefore, I can't comment on specifics such as what I liked/didn't like and whether it appears to be professionally edited. I saw that there is a copy of the book available for review, however, based on the summary, I don't feel the storyline is for me, which is why I won't be reading the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:37 am by ritah.
Do you plan to read the whole book? No

Tiny_Turtle

My first thought upon seeing the title was that I really didn't want to read a war story. Yet, the combination of pyramids and kangaroos on the cover was interesting.

The Official OnlineBookClub Review was insightful. I learned that "Warramunga's War" is not a typical blood and guts, blowing people up, war story. It's more about the intricacies of espionage and suspense during the war. I also learned that Warramunga is an Aboriginal Australian Tribe. At this point, I was a little curious and I would have wanted to sample the book, even without the First 10 program.

Unfortunately, I was not able to read the first ten pages, as there was no sample offered on Amazon. That put a damper on my enthusiasm. Based on the description of the book on the back cover, and the reviews on Amazon, the story is about Jamie Munro, an Australian Officer, and Jack 'Jacko' O'Brien, a half-caste Warramunga Aboriginal, who work together to get information on the German spies during the World War II.

I liked the idea that the fictional characters interact with real historical figures and that the places mentioned in the book are real places. One review mentioned that the main characters go into the Australian Outback. That sounded interesting.

Since I was not able to access an actual sample, I was not able to evaluate the punctuation or grammar. I have two suggestions for improvement, not on the book itself, but on the presentation. It's hard to tell if I think I will like it, only based on other people's opinions. So, providing a sample would have made a big difference. Also, I would be more inclined to make a purchase if it was available in Kindle format. I enjoy hardcopy, but at the price of $21.38, in addition to having no sample, I will be passing on this one.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 11:45 am by Tiny_Turtle.

revna01

The Warramunga's War is a historical fiction novel following Aussie army personnel, James Munro and Jack O'Brien as they fight the pro-Nazi Vichy French. The sample only revealed two small errors, one of which was when Jamie said, "Bloody hell no!" There should be a comma after "hell". I enjoyed the mysterious and timely appearance of Jacko and the quirky manner in which he speaks to Jamie. I liked the intensity of the enemy machine-gun fire, but thought the dialogue fell flat and think a different cover design may work in its favor. The OnlineBookClub review mentioned this book is part of a trilogy, but due to its war theme, I most likely won't be picking this one up.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 12:33 pm by revna01.

ZenaLei7

After reading the first ten pages, I decided not to finish reading the book. The sample wasn't interesting enough for me. While reading the sample, I like how Jacko and Jamie interact with each other. I do like the book cover and title so if I were to sample the book based on just the cover and title, I probably would have chosen to sample it because they both look interesting. While reading the sample, I didn't notice any grammatical errors either. I also read the official OBC review for this book which was helpful in solidifying my decision on taking a pass on this book. There isn't anything I would change anything about this book.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 12:36 pm by ZenaLei7.

cristinaro

Unfortunately, I did not have access to an available sample of the book to be able to decide if I want to read and review it or not. I could only read the OBC official review, but I usually do not make a decision solely based on the review. In this case, the reviewer praises the author's sharp and entertaining writing style and his mastery of historical knowledge. The book does seem to be well balanced with realistic dialogues and complex characters. I like the fact that the action takes place in Egypt and I am curious how James Munro and Jack O'Brien will deal with the war and conspiracy atmosphere of the 1940s. However, without a preview of a few pages, I will not add this book to my already full list, at least for the moment.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 1:24 pm by cristinaro.

bookowlie

I wouldn't have sampled this book without First Ten, as I don't care for war or spy-themed novels. There is no Amazon summary, although the OBC review contains a clear explanation of the story. The sample pages are well written with action-packed battle scenes to start off the story. The writing is crisp and fast-paced and Jamie's character is introduced well as a Lieutenant who comes under heavy fire from the pro-Nazi Vichy French army. Although the imagery is excellent, I am not interested in the subject matter so I am not planning to read the rest of the book.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 2:51 pm by bookowlie.

gali

I wouldn't have sampled the book on my own, as I am not fond of war/spy stories. Neither the cover nor the blurb appealed to me. Reading the sample didn't change my mind. The book follows the adventures of two soldiers during War World II, as they were sent on an espionage mission. Although the premise is interesting, the sample failed to grab me. It started in the middle of a battle against the Vichy French, where a half-aboriginal soldier saved a young Australian army officer's life, not once but twice. It was odd that they had time to chat in the middle of all that excitement. After the hospitalization of Jamie, the pace slowed down and I started to lose interest. The book seems well edited, as I didn't notice any glaring errors. There was a missing comma, but it wasn't that significant. I found it irritating that Jamie kept saying "Bloody hell" all the time. I liked the interactions between the two men, but I am not curious enough to see how they bond in later chapters. There was no kindle format, but I wouldn't have bought the book anyway as it failed to engage me. The official review didn't sway my decision either way.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 2:54 pm by gali.

cpru68

Jamie finds himself in a terrible position in the opening pages of this novel as he is trying to take cover from enemy fire. Suddenly, an ally unexpectedly shows up and they work together to fire upon and kill those who seek to take them out. Jamie and Jacko became quick friends on the battlefield as Aussie’s against the advancement of Hitler’s troops. When Jamie is injured, Jacko rescues him and gets him to a safe French hospital for recovery. I liked Jacko’s confidence and demeanor. He has a sixth sense about him that allows him to do away with the shooter that was not visible. I think we all would want a friend like Jacko by our side to help us on the battlefield. That character’s strength shone through in the sample. I did not see any errors in the sample, and I have no suggestions to make. I will be passing on this one because it just didn’t connect with me. I don’t read a lot of war novels, and being that it is a first of three, I just don’t find myself wanting to read more. However, I do have plenty of friends who would find this trilogy to their liking.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 3:32 pm by cpru68.

lavellan

I probably would have read the sample of The Warramunga's War even if it had not been a part of The First Ten program. The Book of the Day review was positive and left me interested in the book. The book seemed like it was professionally edited and I did not notice any errors while reading. I enjoyed Jacko's plucky personality and how he saved James. I didn't like how not much introduction was given to James' character. As a result of this and my lack of interest in war novels, I will not be buying the book today.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 3:44 pm by lavellan.

hsimone

Without this program, I would not have sampled this book. The cover isn't very appealing to me, the title is confusing, and war-based books aren't my go-to genre. The mixed customer reviews are a bit troubling, while the positive OBC one doesn't convince me this book is for me. Based on the sample provided, the book could use another round of editing. For instance, the line, "Just as well I've got no grenades in it! he thought.", the "he" isn't capitalized and it seems out of place. Perhaps the removal of the exclamation point, italicizing the phrase and adding a comma would make this sentence more grammatically correct. The relationship between Lieutenant James Munro and Jack O'Brien seemed sweet and almost comical. I smiled when Jack called James 'Cap', even though James told him not to. I can see the scene of when the soldiers at the Vichy camp were attacked and James lost consciousness as exciting for many readers. Also, the fact that now James will be going to Egypt also can be considered exciting. The only issue I took from the book is the inevitable wartime scenes that I prefer not to read. Other than that, I can see how *The Warramunga's War* will pique many readers' interest. For me, though, I do not plan on buying and reading this book due to the focus on war.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 3:55 pm by hsimone.

CinWin

The cover showed me exactly what the book would entail - a war story. "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater is the first book in a trilogy based on WWII. The two characters, Jamie and Jacko, are delightful. I especially like Jacko's personality. He is witty with a lot of common sense and yet he is very self-assured in his abilities. Jamie and Jacko make a great 'war-buddy' friendship. Even though I enjoy the banter between the two, I will not be finishing the book. War stories and historical fiction are not genres I typically read. The sample was entertaining and I would not have improved on anything. There were no grammatical errors so it made for an easy read. There was an onlinebookclub review.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 3:59 pm by CinWin.

Julie Green

I have a general impression that this book has been receiving positive reviews. The title puts me off a little as I do not recognise the cultural reference. Having read the synopsis and the opening pages, however, the title makes sense - it is just that I might have given this book a miss if I had not seen the positive reviews. The front cover image is clearly intentionally dated but it has more the look of a history book, than fiction (albeit based on history). That said,the opening pages are dramatic and I am already bought into the characters and plot. Based on the opening pages, I am tempted to buy and read the book.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 5:26 pm by Julie Green.
Do you plan to read the whole book? Yes!

Kendra M Parker

When I first saw the title of this book, I quickly skimmed on past it. I am not typically a big fan of war or historical fiction novels focused on wars. When I read the official review, I was pretty impressed with how much the reviewer enjoyed the book, though, which did make me reconsider. Reading the first ten pages, I was quickly drawn into the book. I loved the interactions between Jack and Jamie. They way they helped each other out, Jack’s incredible shot against the gunner, and then his humorous retelling of his heritage were all great elements. I quickly went over to Amazon to see about acquiring this book. When I saw that it was only available in paperback and that it was almost $23, that quickly put it out of my price range. If it had been a Kindle Ultimate book, I probably would have added it to my reading list. I’m not sure that I would would have bought it even if it had been a digital download book, but I would have at least considered it.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 5:50 pm by Kendra M Parker.

FictionLover

I'm not sure I would have sampled this book based on the title. War novels don't always appeal to me. But the cover with the pyramids and the kangaroo got my attention. Reading the onlinebookclub review made me realize this is the type of novel I like, some suspense mixed with history and intrigue. The sample pulled me in with the mysticism of Jacko couched as "sense of direction" and the the re-assignment of them both to a situation that would need to liaison with MI6. Spies? Okay, I'm in. The first 10 pages were well written and paced, the tension was there throughout and it left me wanting more. The book seems professionally edited, and I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors. I can't think of anything I would change.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 6:19 pm by FictionLover.

juliecsa

I wouldn't have read this book if not for the program, because war stories don't interest me, although the official review shows that for people who do like it, it is a great story. I did not notice any errors, but I felt that the conversation between Jamie and Jacko was awkward and forced. I will not continue reading it for these same reasons.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 6:40 pm by juliecsa.

lesler

Had I not sampled this book and just looked at the cover, I would have chosen to not read this, as it does not interest me. Upon sampling the book, I enjoyed it, but not enough to keep reading. I found the book to be professionally edited, with no typos or grammatical errors that I noticed. I liked most the interaction between Jamie and Jacko during and after WWII. I also loved that this was about Australians, and the authentic dialogue included. I did not like the graphic war violence described in the book. I know that is what war is like, but I was not in the mood to read the vivid imagery today.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 6:47 pm by lesler.

meadhbh

I would not have read this book without the programme, as I am not a fan of historical fiction. I was intrigued by the character of Jacko, although I felt a lot of what he said just sounded like an excuse for exposition without any real justification, and none of the fighting felt very real. I did notice one mistake - the line 'just as well I've got no grenades in it!' should be in quotes, or the following word should be capitalised. This extract was not very interesting to me, and I will not be purchasing the book.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 7:12 pm by meadhbh.

BunnySTx

After reading a few pages of, The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater, I have decided that I will not be purchasing this book. When I saw the cover for this book, it looked like a war novel. I am not a fan of war stories so I did not think this book would appeal to me. If I had not read a sample of this book, I would not have picked it up. I say this because this book does not have a blurb. I wanted to get a feel for the book before diving in. I'm unable to do this with this book. As I read a few pages of this story, the author starts off with Jamie in the middle of a firefight. Bullets are whizzing all around him, and I fear for his safety. I wonder what is going on with the people around him. The author hints that Jamie is in a foreign country, but I'm not sure which one. The author indicates fighting French in Syria and Lebanon but isn't specific. I'm a stickler for detail, and I want to know, where the character is. The storyline is intense in these first moments. Based on what I have read this book appears to be professionally edited. This book does have an official OnlineBookClub review. The reviewer speaks positively of this story but does not pique my interest. This book is not going to be a good fit for me. I will not be putting it on my to-be-read shelf.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 7:46 pm by BunnySTx.

psychopathycathy

If I had not read the sample I would not have read the book; I do not really read historical books that often, and I did not think this was my genre. After reading the sample, I have not changed my mind; while I liked the dialogue, as the language used seemed authentic. However, there were some lines of dialogue that felt a little unnecessary. Lines like '"Great shot, Jacko." "Thanks, Cap."' were not really sentences that had any content within them, and personally, I do not like to read dialogue that doesn't seem to serve a more important purpose, as it also slows the pace down. Overall, the book was still professionally edited. I did not read the official review but that did not affect my decision.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 7:54 pm by psychopathycathy.

britt13

I was a bit torn on this one because the plot did not really pull me in but I love both historical fiction and mystery as genres. The official review was also very positive so that was a pro. I was eager to read the first ten to see if the writing was enough to pull me in. I do not think it was. It was not really bad, I just had some personal issues with it. I had trouble with the jargon (and maybe that is because I am tired or do not know much about weapons and such). For some, this would not be an issue. I also did not like the repetition of "bloody hell" because it seemed really forced. I know that seems like a small thing, but a lot of the dialogue felt kind of forced. I did, however, absolutely love the imagery surrounding Jamie. Sentences like "Insects and sweat competed for space on his hands, face, and inside his shirt" really help the reader to feel what he is. It also seemed professionally edited because I found no grammatical errors, though the dialogue could have been formatted a bit better in some places. Even though I will not be reading further, I do think this is a pretty decent book (from what I read).

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 8:48 pm by britt13.

LV2R

I was not attracted to the book cover or the title, though using “Warramunga” in the title made me curious to what that was. Reading the sample helped me a lot to see what the story may be about and how a friendship was developing between Jamie and Jacko. Jacko saved Jamie twice from getting killed by the French in the Middle East. I thought the whole book would be about war, but it seems like there may be more to the story since Jamie will be going to Egypt on an intelligence mission. I like how the first ten pages explain a little about what a Warramunga is, which Jacko is half of one and has special skills of shooting on target without seeing it. The book seems to be very well edited and I like the author’s style of writing. The OBC review helped me to see that the story is indeed more than just about war and includes romance, suspense, and includes information on Egypt’s famous monuments. I am not going to buy the book at this time because even though I can see that the book may be more than just about war, I do not want to read a war story. However, this may be a book worth reading in the future.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:01 pm by LV2R.

micoleon13

While not a bright, eye-catching cover page, I was interested in finding out more about the book due to the photo. The OnlineBookClub review was very complementary and outlined a story that I would be interested in. I enjoy reading war based books, and as my grandfather was stationed in Egypt, I was curious about learning more, even if it was fiction. Unfortunately, I could not get a copy of the book to open so I am unable to say if it was well-written or not. However, I am still interested in finding out more so I would read this book if it were possible to download.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:16 pm by micoleon13.

CataclysmicKnight

When I first saw this one I was very interested - clearly this is a war novel, but the kangaroo really caught my attention! I'm fairly certain I would've checked this out if I came across it randomly on Amazon.

So far the book is quite interesting - a man who's trapped under fire is rescued by someone else in a scene that reminded me of a less absurd version of the introduction of Lethal Weapon 3. Their friendship is covered wonderfully and at the end of the first ten pages the espionage aspect of the novel is set up. I also love that this is based on real events, and it covers a war I've never heard about from a point of view I never would've considered. It's also well edited, although I did find a single error with the formatting of a character's thoughts. This is a book I'd likely read sometime if it was free, but this book is an odd exception to the book of the day titles in that it's only available in paperback (for over $20!). I'm not really a fan of physical books now that digital ones exist and are so much easier to hold and read, so I definitely have to pass on The Warramunga's War for now.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:39 pm by CataclysmicKnight.

ladycraic

I would not have chosen to sample the first few pages of The Warramunga's War apart from First Ten due to my disinterest in both the cover and the title. Oddly enough, I couldn't find the blurb for this novel. For me as a reader, if I don't take an interest in the cover, I find the blurb really helpful in determining whether or not I plan on reading a novel. As a suggestion to the author, I would highly recommend providing a blurb for this book on Amazon, where readers like me browse and select their books to read. The first ten pages moved slowly for me and my interest was not captured. I didn't think the setting was engaging with the ongoing war and all. Overall, this book isn't my cup of tea, and from what I've read from the book and review, the plot won't be of much interest to me. This book seemed professionally edited and I didn't notice any grammatical errors.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:43 pm by ladycraic.

Mely918

I think I would have been mildly interested in this book from the title and cover art. There does seem to be something appealing about it. The sample made me want to read this book all the more. As a fan of historical fiction, I found myself very captivated by this book. I greatly enjoy reading stories set during the WWII era as well. I really want to read more about James and Jack. I also want to know whether or not they succeed in their mission in the end. I liked how there were no grammatical errors anywhere in the sample that I read. The book is very suspenseful and well-written. Any fan of historical fiction will love this book. The official review simply gave me more reasons to read this book. I fully intend to read this book in the near future.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:53 pm by Mely918.

scratchcat318

The cover for this book is alright, as it has some nice colors and a good image of soldiers and their camp. I thought the focus of the image, the man with the kangaroo, was very amusing to see among the figures of war-trained soldiers. The blurb does a good job of capturing what the basic plot of the book is, but I feel like it provides too many spoilers for my liking. It feels like something the author should have spent more time writing before deciding to put it up on the page. Usually, I don't read books about war or espionage, but I am going to make an exception for this book. I thought both of the main characters, Jacko and Jamie, were very likable and very fun to follow along with. I especially liked Jacko's easygoing personality and his dialect, and I thought he and Jamie made a very great partnership in the first two chapters. I liked that the first chapter began right in the middle of the action, and I liked that it was easy to follow along with what was going on. The author brought a great sense of urgency when it was necessary, making the tense moments seem tense and the calm moments seem calm. I caught a couple comma errors in the text, but I couldn't find any distracting grammar errors in the book. In the end, I enjoyed the first two chapters of this book more than I expected to, and I definitely recommend it to people who enjoy war books with great action and great characters.

First Ten review added on August 5, 2018, at 9:59 pm by scratchcat318.

briellejee

The cover says a lot of things about the book and I love it. I like historical fictions but I am careful in choosing which ones because some don't have the writing style I am fond of in the genre. With that note, I wouldn't have sampled this book if it weren't for the reviews. I am genuinely interested in World War II and Egypt. After sampling the book, I found that it is too technical for me but I think it should be because of the setting. It bothers me because at first, it cannot hold my attention for long. However, I like the character of Jacko. He's like the opposite tone of the book, a much-needed one for me. And with that, I think I would want to read the whole book if I get the chance. The seriousness of Jamie is being balanced by Jacko and I think that's a pretty good start for a historical fiction. I wanted to learn more about Egypt and definitely want to read more of Jacko and that is why I want to finish reading it. The events and the facts about the war also intrigued me. The book seemed to be professionally edited because I have found no noticeable errors. I have found an official OBC review and it certainly helped in considering whether to read this or not.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 2:27 am by briellejee.

va2016

The title and the cover of the book are very indicative of the theme of the book, although the title is a little bit confusing, as it is not the Warramunga tribe's war, but a series of operations in which a Warramunga person take part. The Amazon summary provides a clear and detailed summary of the story. There are 7 Amazon customer reviews that gave an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars for the book. I am impressed by the Amazon summary, and I am interested in action-packed narrations, so I would have picked the book for sampling, even if not for the First Ten program. As I sampled through the book, I found the narration extremely thrilling. Specifically, the scene in which Jamie and Jacko get introduced to each other in the middle of a war-field. The way Jacko fires and exactly hits the invisible target, a capability that he had inherited from his Warramunga background is amazing, and made me sit straight and read the rest of the sample with interest. I am going to read the book in full! I found the book to be professionally edited, and I didn't find any mechanical or grammatical errors. What I liked most about the book is its thrilling narration. I could not find anything that could be improved in the book. Although the book has obtained a perfect 4 out of 4 stars rating in an OBC review, my decision to read this book in full is based on my own sampling.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 2:39 am by va2016.

Bianka Walter

I am not a big fan of war books, so I would never have sampled this book without the first ten program. The pyramids on the cover gave me an idea of where the book would be based, and at the end of the sample, Jamie was sent to Egypt. I would assume that Jacko will be on the same mission, because of the title, and he was a very likeable character. Unfortunately, the war aspect of the book didn't grab me. I find myself getting bored by war based books, and I don't know if this will continue as a war book as Jamie is sent to Egypt on a 'spy' mission, but I wasn't sold by the sample. The OBC review was complimentary, but not enough for me to change my mind. I thought the book was professionally edited, I found no errors in the sample. Still, this is not a book that I will be reading as it didn't interest me.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 4:36 am by Bianka Walter.

SamSim

Prior to sampling this book, I was already interested in it because it looks like historical fiction, which I generally love, and I have previously read a blurb for it when it was available for review. I enjoy historical adventure fiction that is exciting and gives a glimpse into unique cultures. (Side note: I do think the cover could be more pleasing to the eye.) I would personally want the characters' unspoken thoughts to appear in italics. "Just as well" should have a comma after it. There should be a comma between "hours" and "when." I immediately liked Jack and could almost hear his Australian accent. It was funny when he continued to call Munro "Cap," even after being corrected. Jacko's creative shooting methods were humorous and his backstory is interesting. There should be a comma between "Queensland" and "where," as well as between "dump" and "raising." There should be a comma between "headquarters" and "although," as well as between "and" and "after." Munro's new "undercover" assignment sounds very intriguing and I do wonder how that all pans out for him and Jacko. I find Australia and its history very interesting in general, so that's another draw for me. I do think this book probably needs some more editing, at least with regard to commas. I enjoyed the sample. I can't really comment on whether I would buy it in digital format because I can't find any purchase information except for paperback. I would need to know the price for the Kindle version in order to give an answer on that. I definitely wouldn't spend over $20 for the paperback just to satisfy my curiosity on this one, so I'm going to choose No.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 7:03 am by SamSim.

Sahani Nimandra

The Warramunga's War by Grey Kater is a historical fiction read that interest me after I read the sample. The cover illustration needs improvement, it isn't attractive. The official OBC review was descriptive, but it didn't create a curiosity in me. The plot had a different effect in me. It maintained a slow pace, but it's an exciting read. The start was effective, and it was filled with action. This plot reminded me of a World War 2 film called Fury. The environment of the story sets in a battle field where we could hear a plea from a Lieutenant. The plot is about the battle against the pro-Nazi Vichy France in Syria and Lebanon. The story also describes the friendship between Lieutenant James Munro and Corporal Jack O'Brien. There weren't any hindrances while reading. It was a very interesting story, yet I have to say the cover illustration won't attract a lot of readers even though this plot has a lot of potential.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 8:20 am by Sahani Nimandra.

Sicily Joy

I didn't care for the cover, title or description as I don't usually read war stories. However, the official review made me more interested in the book and it could have compelled me to read it. After I read the sample, I understood this was more than a war story. My favorite part was the dialogue between James and Jack. It showed that this was going to be a historical fiction that was character driven. While I wasn't convinced to buy it today, I will read it eventually as I want to learn more about the characters and am interested in the historical elements The book seems well written and the sample was fast paced. There was nothing I didn't like about the sample. I think the description can be improved to show that the book will deal with cultural issues such as Jack's background for readers that are interested in that. I believe the story was professionally edited as I found no errors in the part I read.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 9:07 am by Sicily Joy.

DancingLady

I was initially intrigued by the title of this book because I did not know what a Warramunga is. The review supported my interest from a historical perspective. The sample opened with an intense scene of battle. Jacko’s introduction was pretty brief as far as getting to know who he is and what his cultural background is. I was surprised that he didn’t seem to be the main character though. The book is definitely well written and edited but as I do not realistically have time to read it, I will not be buying.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 10:10 am by DancingLady.

MsTri

I knew upon seeing the cover and title for this book that I do not want to read it, as I have zero interest in war stories. The Amazon synopsis and OBC review (the only one I read) only served to solidify my initial thoughts. Upon reading the sample, it seemed to be professionally edited, and I have no suggestions for changes because it's written well even if it isn't my cup of tea. I DID, however, like the part where Jamie woke up, and the nurse was talking part English and part French; I always find it cute when two or more languages are spoken together. With that being said, I will NOT finish reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 11:19 am by MsTri.

ButterscotchCherrie

I wouldn't have sampled this without the programme as I don't normally read war stories. I won't buy and read it today for the same reason. The first ten pages seemed professionally edited as I noticed no errors. What I liked best was the way Jacko tells Jamie he's as Australian as he is, saying "even more so" in reference to his aboriginal heritage. In terms of what could be improved, I was a little confused about why Jacko kept calling Jamie "Cap" - I didn't know that this was a higher rank than his actual one until that was explained at the end of Chapter 1. It might have been helpful for the uninitiated if that had been explained earlier. The OnlineBookClub review mentions that Egypt is well-described, which sounds intriguing. So, although I didn't find an electronic copy readily yet, I'll keep this in mind for the future.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 1:10 pm by ButterscotchCherrie.

kfwilson6

Stories that revolve around war and war times do not appeal to me. That's pretty much all it took to eliminate any interest I might have. The cover doesn't particularly draw the eye and the Amazon reviews are somewhat mixed so they fail to convince me otherwise. The sample, of course, starts right in the midst of a battlefield. The descriptions of the scene and the weaponry are not at all interesting to me. I did find Jacko to be an interesting character right from the start. He seems to be an intriguing figure who would be entertaining to read about. The Warramunga's War could use more thorough editing. There were a few commas missing to separate two dependent clauses. Other than that, this book seems like it would be appealing for fans of war fiction; I just don't care for the genre.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 1:46 pm by kfwilson6.

Sarah_Khan

At first glance, I would not have picked up this book because I am not a fan of war stories. The first ten pages were professionally edited. I liked the mixture of french and English that the nurse speaks. Unfortunately, I feel like the beginning of this book seems too familiar (fighting scene, then person ends up in hospital). The lack of originality is why I will not be reading the rest. I did not read the OBC review and I doubt it would have changed my mind.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 2:31 pm by Sarah_Khan.

IsabelMay

I wouldn't have sampled the book without this program since I don't often read post-war historical fiction. The premise sounds original and I've seen a lot of reviews on OBC with a high rating. Even though the book seems well-written, I wasn't hooked by the storyline. I'll start with what I liked. The author made the dialogue lines more credible by using the real spoken language which can be seen in words like G'day, Cap, naw etc. I also like that the story started with action. I didn't find any mistakes, so the book had been edited. There isn't much to be improved. I didn't find the storyline interesting at all, though. It's true that there are many plot twists and turns, but definitely too many for my taste. The twists were mentioned in the summary and confirmed by the two chapters offered in the sample so I'm quite sure the book is full of them, which is not something I'd like to read. Therefore, I won't buy the book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 2:55 pm by IsabelMay.

MarisaRose

I enjoy historical fiction; however, I dislike historical fiction that focuses on war. Thus, 'The Warramunga's War' is not a book I would normally choose to read, given its focus on World War II. The OBC review did not sway my opinion in this case because, as I stated, the synopsis of the story in this book didn't pique my interest. After reading the first ten pages, my initial opinion about the book didn't change. The first scene in the book details an event during a battle. I dislike reading about battles, as I typically find the descriptions to be boring. In this book, however, I found the descriptions to be almost comical. The author uses the word 'zap' to describe the sound of a machine gun bullet hitting a rock wall. I hardly think this word really captured the sound of a machine gun. Further, I failed to connect to Jamie, the story's protagonist. He seemed like a character I had read about before - a young man fighting a war he was not prepared for. Otherwise, I didn't have any issues with the formatting or text; I noticed no grammatical errors in the text. However, I wasn't impressed with other non-grammatical aspects of the writing, nor was I impressed with the introduction to Jamie. I don't plan to read any more of this one.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 3:25 pm by MarisaRose.

JuliaKay

The title and cover of this book do not interest me. It is not something that would capture my attention if I was browsing. The blurb and reviews for this book are favorable, but it is not a genre that I would choose to read. I probably would not have chosen to sample this book if it were not for this program. The story starts with more action than I like, with the machine gun pellets slamming into Jamie's backpack. There also seems to be a lot of military lingo such as names of units and so on, which is boring for me. I can't imagine hiding for hours from gunfire as Jamie was doing. I am interested in finding out about the Warramunga mystic skills that Jack mentioned. I did not notice any technical errors in the sample, and it does appear that this book has been professionally edited. My only problem with it was that I was bored. It seemed like after Jamie had gotten out of the first gunfire situation with the help of Jack and then ended up right back in another one. It just isn't something that interests me enough to read about. I will not be buying and reading this book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 5:31 pm by JuliaKay.

Scerakor

From the cover, review, and description of this book, I probably might have considered it. There are a lot of exciting elements about this book that I like including espionage and war. After reading the first 10 pages, I didn't change my mind, and will definitely be looking to buy and read the rest of this book in the future. I loved the immediate jump into both action and humour. Jacko's character was both nonchalant, funny, and fearless. I particularly enjoyed the scene where he took out the machine gun fire, all the while amusingly interacting with the lieutenant. There was nothing that I would have changed that I saw within the short sample that I read and it looked very well written and edited. The official review did not affect my decision at all.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 6:10 pm by Scerakor.

RebeccasReading

This is a book I would normally read. I like war stories and historical fiction. After reading the sample, my opinion is the same. It seems like an interesting story. I liked the sense of comradery developed between Jacko and Jamie. I did notice a few run on sentences which could be improved. On the first page, there appears to be a typo with "25th Battalion", which is typed as "2/5th Battalion". It may not have been professionally edited.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 7:13 pm by RebeccasReading.

Momiji1987

The review got me interested in this book because of the historical aspect and exploration of exotic places. I really enjoyed the sample and the realistic way the author portrays bombs going off and the funny, tanned Australian who wasn’t phased by it in the least. I’m curious about him and learning more about his life and personality. I like the way he says “cap” all the time. I’m interested to see where the story goes and how it develops, so I will add this book to my want to read list for future reading. I didn’t notice any errors or typos in the book and I think the editing looks good. The cover image is interesting and makes me want to study it. I don’t read a lot of this genre, but I have always been interested in this period and love history, so I think I would enjoy this book.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 7:36 pm by Momiji1987.

ccrews0408

Based on the genre, had I not read the first 10 pages, I would not have read this book. I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction nor do I enjoy war novels. Now that I have read the first 10 pages, I still don't plan on reading this book. The story begins fast-paced with Jack saving Jamie's life and Jamie soon finding himself in another deadly predicament. However, war stories tend to be too graphic and gory. So far, the book seems to be professionally edited. I didn't notice any typos or grammatical errors and there was an official OnlineBookClub review.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 9:52 pm by ccrews0408.

KRay93

The design of the cover is somewhat rudimentary, but it is acceptable since we are talking about a historical fiction book around war as the blurb proposes. The official review speaks of a suspenseful and absorbing story, with well-constructed protagonists. The first ten pages open with the protagonist in the middle of a war situation during which he loses consciousness, to then wake up in a hospital injured. The prose is quite fluid and immersive, while the editing work looks acceptable at first glance. War books around World War II are usually of my preference, and this one particularly caught my attention because of the espionage plot, which is not so common in this kinds of stories. The official review seems to confirm my first impression, which is why I will continue reading it.

First Ten review added on August 6, 2018, at 10:33 pm by KRay93.

anneloretrujillo

I would have sampled this book based on the genre and OBC review. I've been reading a lot of World War II stories, and this one seemed like one I might enjoy. After reading the first ten pages, I won't be finishing this book. I do like World War II era books, but I don't usually like to read about the direct fighting. The military terminology threw me off. There was also a lot of dialogue, which isn't really for me. It did seem to be professionally edited, and I did like the new perspective of the War this book gave. The final deciding factor for me (along with the other downfalls I mentioned) was that there isn't a digital version available for purchase on Amazon, and I can't afford to buy any books right now. I can get them from Amazon with my gift card balance, so I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't available digitally.

First Ten review added on August 7, 2018, at 12:27 am by anneloretrujillo.

Mercy Bolo

Judging by the cover, I wasn't going to read this book, and the OBC review didn't sway my decision when it mentioned that it's a tale of two army officers on a mission to detect and neutralize German agents. When I read the sample, I liked that Jacko and Jamie worked together to neutralize the machine-gun operator. As I noticed no errors, I'll conclude that the text underwent professional editing, but I won't read the rest of the book because the story didn't appeal to me. As it is, there's nothing I would change about the bit I read.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 10:46 am by Mercy Bolo.

Laura Bach

"The Warramunga's War" is a historical fiction about a soldier who remembers his time in the World War II. Jamie, an Australian Army officer, and Jacko, a Warramunga soldier become friends after Jacko saves Jamie's life. As much as I like the captivating writing, war stories are not for me. Because of that, I wouldn't have tried this book without this program. I won't continue reading it because I don't usually like historical fictions. It was professionally edited.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 2:10 pm by Laura Bach.

mtsnel006

I am not a big fan of war books, so, I would not have chosen to read the book. From the review and the sample, the book is very detailed and descriptive. This historical fiction is about the war that occurred in Egypt, of which Lieutenant James Munro and Corporal Jack O'Brien were among the Egyptian troops against the Germans. I loved how the book detailed setting of the book. Kater mentioned some of the structures of Egypt, such as the Giz, the Pyramids, and the Sphinx, in giving the fair account of the war. I did not notice any editorial errors with the book. Thanks.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 3:22 pm by mtsnel006.

HRichards

I probably wouldn't have picked this book up on my own, as I generally don't really like war novels. After reading the sample, I will not be continuing on with this book as I wasn't really keen on the writing style nor did the story win me over enough to continue. The sample deals with Jamie, an Australian who explains to his comrades that he is a Warramunga native on his mother's side. This is during WWII, and Jamie is soon injured and has some conversations with other soldiers that establish some of his background. There is a lot of action, and someone who likes war novels might like this book. I'm not really interested in war stories, so I wasn't interested enough to continue. The author could use a little grammar editing, as I saw a grammar error in the second paragraph where there should be a comma after the "just as well". I haven't read any other reviews of this book.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 4:09 pm by HRichards.

Yolimari

I would not have sampled this book without this program because I do not want to read about war at the moment. The OBC did not convince me to read the book. I liked the idea of learning about the Warramunga. However, I am not into the main subject of the story: war. After I read the sample pages, I thought the book was professionally edited. It was incredible how Jacko shot the enemy without having a visual. I also liked that Jacko went to see if Jamie was hiding under rocks. I do not want to read about war, so I will pass.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 4:57 pm by Yolimari.

sarahmarlowe

How cool was the sample of this book! If I hadn't sampled it, I probably would never have picked this book up. Why? The title means nothing to me. I didn't know about Warramungas. From just the title, I didn't know if this book was historical fiction, fantasy, or science fiction. But, after sampling it, I would like to finish reading this book, and I have added it to my Bookshelves. The characters' interaction in the sample was fun, and the dialogue was clean and not forced. My interest is sparked, and I'd like to know more about the setting and actions in the story. It seems to be professionally edited, and I didn't see anything in the sample that needed to be improved. I look forward to finishing this one!

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 5:24 pm by sarahmarlowe.

sonya01

After reading the first ten pages of the sample, I was impressed by the clear and conversational way the author describes the meeting of the two main characters of this book. My first impression was not one of huge interest: the cover was pretty drab and clearly indicated a war theme, which does not interest me in the slightest. Even though the book received an outstanding review and rating on the OBC, I am still not sure I would be able to read this one through to the end. Too much war and by implication, the heavily male storyline, would soon tire me and I would lose interest. I saw no grammatical issues or errors so can commend the editors for a thorough job. I really like the way the story incorporates real life characters ( although this is not evident from the first ten pages) and I think this lends great credibility to the story. However, I shall lean on my instincts about my aversion to this genre and not try to read any more of this book.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 6:34 pm by sonya01.

Camille Turner

I would not have sampled this book without the program because I'm just not interested in military stories, which this clearly is from the title. After reading the sample, I believe the book was professionally edited as I didn't note any errors. My impression hasn't changed since the book started off with a lot of military action (Jamie being fired at by the Vichy French), so it is obviously a very military-centered book. I won't buy the book because, like I said, war fiction just isn't my genre. However, I wouldn't improve anything as I think the book will appeal to military genre lovers. I liked that it started off with action, and you can already see that it will in part be about the bond that is being built between Jamie and Jacko after Jacko saves him twice, both from enemy fire and friendly fire. They are then given an assignment as spies in Egypt (pretending to merely be recovering soldiers). I like that the book will also likely tackle race, seeing as Jacko is part Warramunga and already details this at the beginning when he recounts the story of his parents. Despite these positive aspects, it's still just not the genre for me.

First Ten review added on November 4, 2018, at 7:05 pm by Camille Turner.

melissy370

I would give this book a try because even though I don't particularly like the time it is in, I do enjoy espionage. I still have that same thought after reading the sample and I would like to finish it. Jack's character was funny when calling Jamie "Cap" before he even became a Captain. He was very intriguing with his aboriginal background. This doesn't seem a typical war story with them working with MI6 and that is what will keep me reading it. I did not see any errors.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:18 pm by melissy370.

Cher432

If I had not read the sample, I probably would not have read the book. This is because the blurb and the official OnlineBookClub review stated that it was historical fiction. At the moment, I have no desire to read this genre so I concluded that I would pass on this one. The sample opens with one of the characters being shot at and we are immediately immersed in action. The story was quite captivating but unfortunately, it was not enough to make me want to read more. I would not buy and read this book as the genre does not interest me. I did not see any typos, so I think it was edited.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 2:48 pm by Cher432.

Kareka88

I apologize, I was unable to download a sample of this book. I tried on Barnes and Noble as well as Amazon. I also looked on my Kindle, just in case I had it from the previous time it was BOTD. I don't remember enough from the last time to be able to complete this exercise. I do know that I was not interested in reading it.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 8:57 pm by Kareka88.

Vickie Noel

On my own, I wouldn't have read this book outside the program because I don't like to read about war, mainly as a result of gory details. However, I just fell in love with this book because the writing style is topnotch. The ease with which Jacko was able to
maneuver and rescue Jamie from the pelting bullets of the relentless, German soldiers while carrying on a carefree banter with him was nothing short of beautiful and skillful. It was especially funny as Jacko plainly refused to refer to Jamie with a title other than "Cap," short for "Captain." I can't wait to read further and I saw no grammatical errors. The OBC review was equally exciting and I was inspired to check out the book.

First Ten review added on November 5, 2018, at 10:05 pm by Vickie Noel.

Fuzaila

The cover and blurb didn't really interest me. But the sample was interesting to read. It was more action-packed than I would have liked. Jamie's character sounded a bit childish, speaking with exclamatory sentences. I liked Jacko and how he invited Jamie to witness his tribe and their warramunga ways. There wasn't anything I particularly disliked. The writing was error-free and professionally edited. I won't be reading this book anytime soon, because I don't want to read war stories.

First Ten review added on November 6, 2018, at 4:50 am by Fuzaila.

Kajori50

'The Warramunga’s War' is a book written by Greg Karter. The title, blurb, the OBC review, and the customer reviews in Amazon did a good job of convincing me to give the book a try.

The first ten pages of the book leads me to believe that it is a historical fiction. It revolves around two soldiers named James Munroe and Jack O’Brien. It is set during the Second World War. The book is extremely well-written. I liked this about the book. I have to mention that I did not find a single error. This leads me to believe that it is professionally edited. I will give this book a try as I am a history buff. Also, I am interested to know more about the Warramunga.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2019, at 2:17 pm by Kajori50.

KristyKhem

The blurb and title were not appealing to me because I don’t enjoy reading stories about war. The cover design was also bland because the picture on it was black and white. There were good reviews about the book on Amazon but even these could not encourage me to buy the book. I read the sample so I could participate in the First Ten Programme. The book began with a scene set during the war. Jamie and another soldier, Jacko, were using a stick to lure out another soldier from the opposing army. They were successful due to Jacko’s foresight and shooting skills. This didn’t interest me because I really dislike war stories. However, I appreciated the intermingling of culture and race in the story as Jacko attributed his skills to pure mystical talents which he inherited from his Warramunga ancestry. Furthermore, he described his people as being ‘masters of song, dance, and spectacle’ who celebrated spirits and animals. I think the book was professionally edited because I did not come across any errors. I saw that the book was excellently rated in a review done by the review team, but I think this book would be better for historical fiction fans. Since I don’t enjoy historical fiction I won’t buy and read this one.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2019, at 6:41 pm by KristyKhem.

Jsovermyer

The cover art and title, The Warramunga's War, are not appealing to me. I'm not a fan of war novels and so I would not choose this book. The part l liked best in the ten pages I read was the camaraderie between Jacko and Jamie. This book has been professionally edited and I found no grammatical or spelling errors. The official review rated this book highly, but I will not be finishing it.

First Ten review added on February 1, 2019, at 7:00 pm by Jsovermyer.

OloladeO

Based on the cover and title, I would not have read the sample because I am not a fan of war stories. From the sample, Lieutenant James Munro was part of the army engineers' unit attached to the 2/5 Battalion fighting the pro-Nazi Vichy French in Syria and Lebanon. Currently, he is under fire and his rifle, out of his reach. He planned to stay still till nightfall, so he could retreat under the cover of darkness. Corporal Jack O' Brien came to his aid. This was the beginning of an interesting relationship between both soldiers. Jamie was spotted by enemy soldiers and was attacked. He lost consciousness. The book seems well edited. There was an OBC review which had positive things to say about it, so I am sure that those that its genre appeals to would find it entertaining. As for me, I would not be reading the rest of the book because it is not my cup of tea.

First Ten review added on February 2, 2019, at 7:00 am by OloladeO.

CrescentMoon

After reading the blurb, I don't think I would pick this book up. I'm just not interested in reading historical fiction, especially those on War so I'm not the target audience for this book. After reading the first ten pages, I didn't see any spelling or grammar errors. I thought the introduction was a great way for the reader to get hooked into reading the book. Machine gun bullets poking holes through Jamie's knapsack and the war scene at the start of this novel and the description of the scenery is very apt for this genre. However, this isn't for me so I won't read the rest.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2019, at 12:34 am by CrescentMoon.

Christina Rose

Since I do not typically read war novels, or historical fiction books in general, I have to say that I would doubtfully pick this book up to read or sample had it not been for this program. The title and cover don’t really stand out to me, either.
After reading the Official Review from OBC, as well as the reviews posted to the Amazon website, my opinion hasn’t truly been swayed one way or the other. It sounds like the book has its share of both good and bad qualities - although the mention of rape does steer me more towards not finishing the novel.
The author does set himself apart from other historical fiction authors, though, with the use of a casual and conversational tone. This is actually my favorite part of the bit I read - the light tone and easy flow. It makes the book more approachable. There isn’t anything I think the author could improve upon in these first ten pages; the book is simply not for me. I’m sure fans of this genre would continue reading after the sample. However, I will not personally be buying or finishing this book.

First Ten review added on February 3, 2019, at 4:18 am by Christina Rose.

Total ~ 23%

The Warramunga's War earned a score of 23%.

In other words, out of the top-level reviewers who read at least the first 10 pages of this book, 23% plan to read the whole book.

IMPORTANT: Any score over 10% is considered very good. And any score above 0% is acceptable.

Over a million books are published each year. Any given person could not even read .0001% of the books out there. This means readers have to be very selective. Even taking the time to look over reviews and blurbs, let alone read samples, is more time than most readers can afford for most books. The First Ten is a powerful focus group that addresses those issues. It creates a helpful tool for authors, publishers, and other readers.

Go to main Bookshelves page for The Warramunga's War