Official Review: The book of David God life and recovery

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Official Review: The book of David God life and recovery

Post by Verna Coy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The book of David God life and recovery" by David O'Meara.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book of David God, Life, and Recovery by David O'Meara is a book of contemporary free verse. The writings in this book reflect the author's struggle with addiction, depression, and mental health issues. It also reflects his spiritual walk with God through these difficulties and his progress along the way. Some of the early poems feature subjects like hope and freedom, while the middle of the book concentrates on darker thoughts before again moving into lighter tones toward the end. I appreciated this progression of accomplishments and trials.

The illustration at the beginning, the only one in the book, says much about the work as a whole. It outlines a human figure with lines of sincere expression. Anguish, fear, and sadness permeate the pencil rendering, which is interspersed with small illustrations of skeletal form throughout. It leaves the reader with a taste of the kind of work they are about to delve into on the first page.

This book, comprised of 333 pages, is not for fans of a quick read. It is formatted with two books in one, which makes it quite long. It could, however, be read in sections. It is written in a way that makes it easy for readers to pick up anywhere in the book and follow along the theme without feeling that they've missed something key to the story. I appreciated this style of writing as I progressed through the author's free-verse style.

What I liked the most about this book is how the author communicated that this work is about his dreams and experiences. His hope to touch someone with his story is commendable. He went through many difficult times, and his writing delivers the emotion one would expect of someone going through drug and alcohol addiction, mental health problems, and suicide attempts. His walk with God is an insight into his inner self, and that personal revelation of self will resonate with many readers.

The author brings up questions designed to make people think. "Why is there terrorism?" "Why are there gangs?" The thoughts brought to mind by these questions are vivid and draw the reader into the book. This tactic keeps the book fast-paced all the way through.

Despite some of the heavy subjects in this book, there is a good deal of encouragement for discerning poetry fans. The poem within entitled "Hope" is a great example. "Succeed in the way you choose." The lines are a simple expression of the essence of hope. That said, I have to issue a word of warning. The poetry in this book is for adults only and is liberally laced with vivid, strong profanity. It contains detailed descriptions of the sexual abuse of a child by a pedophile. I recommend it to only the most mature readers. The bad language and sexual content are what I disliked the most about this book.

There was a formatting issue where the font size changed in one poem and then reverted to the previous format. That mistake and the spelling and spacing issues made the book look as though it had not been professionally edited. Also, the cover design and title, while showing that the book is spiritual, did not reflect the level of sexual content and strong language in the book. For these reasons, I am rating this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rank it lower because the author's intent and delivery in the text seemed to match up evenly. It will appeal the most to readers who have dealt with addiction and mental health issues. If you aren't up to strong language, adult situations, and violence, this may not be the book for you.

The book of David God life and recovery
View: on Bookshelves
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I don't love poetry that much. However, I've come across a few that I've loved. Despite this, I don't think I'd like this for it's use of strong language and sexual content. On the flipside, you did a great job!
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Having to deal with mental health, addiction and depression at the same time aren't easy to come by. I'd like to uncover how the author was able to conquer and come out stronger. Detailed review. Thank you.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I am not a fan of poems, but the book would be very helpful to people facing certain emotional distress. Thanks for your review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

The author is one strong fellow. I'm grateful he can put his story out there for others suffering from depression, addiction and all round mental health issues to draw strength from.

Thank you for a beautiful review.
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Zee_Zee wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 03:14 I don't love poetry that much. However, I've come across a few that I've loved. Despite this, I don't think I'd like this for it's use of strong language and sexual content. On the flipside, you did a great job!
Thank you so much for your comments!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 05:35 Having to deal with mental health, addiction and depression at the same time aren't easy to come by. I'd like to uncover how the author was able to conquer and come out stronger. Detailed review. Thank you.
Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Splendour0606 wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 13:45 I am not a fan of poems, but the book would be very helpful to people facing certain emotional distress. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for your comment!
Verna Coy

Post by Verna Coy »

Adanna Inya wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 17:56 The author is one strong fellow. I'm grateful he can put his story out there for others suffering from depression, addiction and all round mental health issues to draw strength from.

Thank you for a beautiful review.
Thank you so much for your great comments!
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I totally agree with the author that it's only God that can help one to progress out of any form of addiction. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”