Review by K Geisinger -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by K Geisinger -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by K Geisinger » 30 Sep 2018, 17:29

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Few things seem to propel a plot more than the combination of politics, familial duty, and love. Linnea Tanner takes these topics and adds a strong dose of druid magic to create a story that sweeps you away. Apollo’s Raven is set in 24 AD in the southeast Coast of Britannia and is written as if the Celtic beliefs of magic are real. In this world, curses are real, and the gods’ blessings are sought before pivotal meetings.

There are many major and minor characters who come together in this painting of political intrigue and backstabbing. Lucius is a Roman delegate who was once held in disregard. He is highly motivated to ensure his family remains in the good graces of the Roman Empire. He brings his son, Marcellus, and several other Romans to Britannia in hopes of seeing whether there are opportunities to further the Empire. Little seems to go as planned, and the Romans fear that Apollo is not looking favorably on their meetings.

During the diplomatic mission, Lucius’ son Marcellus is carrying on a relationship with Catrin, King Amren’s youngest daughter and a powerful druidess. Catrin is afraid of another powerful magic user, her half-brother, Marrock, who was disowned years ago. Marrock is trying to take over his father’s kingdom and is colluding with a neighboring kingdom run by King Cunobelin. There are many other characters which bring additional depth to the plots and themes.

What I liked best about the story were the nuanced characters and their believable motivations. Catrin is very young and she is quick to fall in love. Catrin feels compelled to support her family and clan, but that devotion does not extend to her heart which she freely gives to Marcellus. Agrona is cast as the story’s antagonist, but she is not a one-dimensional bad character. She has legitimate reasons to be upset with the ruling clan and a fierce motivation to improve her powers as a druid priestess.

There were no aspects of the book I did not enjoy, but some readers may be put off by the sexual situations. They were well written and not excessive, but it may not be expected in a historical fiction novel. Additionally, the synopsis does not explicitly say that there is magic in the book. Readers looking for a more realistic portrayal of the period may be disappointed with the occult aspects.

This was one of the easier books for me to rate. I enjoyed reading Apollo’s Raven and rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It easily kept my interest and the character motivations were believable. I would recommend it to lovers of historical fiction and fantasy.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like K Geisinger's review? Post a comment saying so!
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 09 Oct 2018, 06:22

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is reviewed by you and you have given very distinctive subjects in addition to the description of love story of Catrin and Marcellus.

K Geisinger
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by K Geisinger » 09 Oct 2018, 13:31

Fozia-Bajwa wrote: ↑
09 Oct 2018, 06:22
Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is reviewed by you and you have given very distinctive subjects in addition to the description of love story of Catrin and Marcellus.
Thanks for your comment! I think the book had more to offer than only the love story of Catrin and Marcellus. They're important characters, but the ruling clans and politics are what make their romance distinctive. Without the political backdrop, it's just two teenagers falling in love.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”