Review of The Bridge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julia_Review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-review.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of The Bridge

Post by Julia_Review »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Bridge" by Andrew Palmer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is the meaning of moral values? Can it be true that the ends justify the means? Are my actions capable of having an impact on the world? These are just a few questions this story may answer. A leap in time in the form of a diary transfers two students into the present moment of an event that will become a resounding tragedy. What should have been a dull student project became a lesson for life. This is a story about adulthood: a young man begins to understand how significant the consequences of his deeds turn out to be. Now he sees that it is his duty: to be honest and thoughtful for the sake of the well-being of other people. The Bridge represents an immersion through the power of literature into this tragic event that occurred in real life. Every absorbed word is an intimate experience of what happened that is not mere fading history but feelings of real people like us.

Andrew Palmer is an author that can get under the reader’s skin. The story develops in a cinematic manner that makes you hold your breath in each sentence. The rich vocabulary of the text is an escape for a mind prisoned in the comfort of the day-to-day words. The complexity of the relationships between the characters reflects the author’s knowledge of the subtlety of human psychology. Andrew Palmer devoted a unique and unidealized personality to each of his characters and described them as realistically and relatable as possible. The chronological lines that are parallelly displayed accentuate how much has changed in the world’s pace since the tragedy, but the memory of it remains significant as ever.

I haven’t found any negative aspects of this book. I consider this story of great importance to know in order to not repeat the mistakes of ignorance and greed.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed every moment of this book, and I am grateful for the opportunity that it gave me to expand my general knowledge. A book is always priceless when it is able to drag you out of the thinking routine that you are used to and can maybe even plant a little empathy in your heart.

I would recommend this book to everyone, especially to readers who are interested in history and psychology. It would also be a captivating one for future engineers since it’s a reflection of a beautiful profession which can expose someone to high risk as well.

The Bridge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“How small a thought it takes to fill a life.”
― Ludwig Wittgenstein
SINGH JAY
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-singh-jay.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by SINGH JAY »

For any aspiring engineers, I believe it would be useful to read this. To prevent history from repeating itself, it is imperative that we learn from our forebears.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”