Review of Throes: A Transformative Parable

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Review of Throes: A Transformative Parable

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Throes: A Transformative Parable" by Mary Dolor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What kind of grip does substance misuse have on individuals? How should the family of substance abusers keep up with them? These are questions you might have, and this book will answer them.

The parable of Mariah and her parents was narrated in Mary Dolor’s Throes: A Transformative Parable. When Mariah came into the family of Mary and Sepp, she appeared to be the child every parent could wish for. However, she grew up as a substance abuser. She went from being a teenager who smokes cigarettes and indulges in other vices to an adult who snorts cocaine. Her parents, especially Mary, made efforts to get her out of the hellhole of substance addiction over and over again, but it started sounding like a broken record. Will there finally be a success in getting Mariah out of this all? The author also analyzed the nature of addiction.

This parable is a classic illustration of how addicts behave and how their family members struggle with them. Depending on the stage of addiction a person is in, no matter how many near-death experiences their addiction leads them to, they never see a reason to take a step back. Thankfully, the author gave the psychological reasoning behind this.

I loved how realistic and informative this book is. Its teachings will never grow old and will be helpful to many that read it. This parable made me think about the importance of educating people, starting when they are still young, about the dangers of drug addiction. Due to the difficulty on the part of the addict and the helper, it is not sufficient to put in measures to stop already-addicted people. Prevention, they say, is better than cure. Furthermore, relevant agencies or authorities should be stricter in tackling this societal menace.

Honestly, I understand the author was trying to emphasize the nature of addition through Mariah’s life. However, at a point, it seemed like the story was being repeated, and it seemed a tad tiring. The issue of addiction was, in fact, aptly illustrated by the parable. However, this is honestly how I felt. While this is a complaint, it had no impact on my overall appreciation of this book.

I found some errors enough to deduct a star from Throes: A Transformative Parable. Therefore, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. However, it seemed professionally edited. Anyone interested in reading about the topic of addiction or anyone who has a loved one that is struggling with substance abuse will find this book relatable and helpful. Therefore, I recommend it to them.

Throes: A Transformative Parable
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Waldemar Nhambiu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Waldemar Nhambiu »

I find this book to be very interesting and very helpful to people who are dealing with substance abuse.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Mariah’s life is sad, I feel sad for her parents. Wonder if they didn’t pay attention to her enough.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Always glad to see a helpful book on addiction. Great review.
Ikechukwu+12345
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-12345.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Ikechukwu+12345 »

I think this book should be recommended to people struggling with addiction. Thanks for a nice review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”