Review by emidio125 -- Sophistries of Summer Days

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by emidio125 -- Sophistries of Summer Days

Post by emidio125 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sophistries of Summer Days" by Jenny Lofters.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sophistries of Summer by Jenny Lofters. This book narrates a story that is set in the West Indies around the 1930s, and it tells us the life story of a woman "Cherrimina" from adolescence to maturity.

In the beginning, Cherrimina, her mother Mary Mary, and her grandmother, a family of devotees to God, lived their lives in peace on the island of Naggo Head. But then due to a hurricane, Cherrimina meets Dove, an American girl who had just committed murder. In an attempt to help her, Cherrimina is going to force her family to break the laws of God that they tried so hard to keep. From then on, Cherrimina's life will change dramatically. She will face pain, Loss, and betrayal until she becomes a mature woman.

The character Cherrimina has a very strong love for her homeland. And this is explained by the fact that the author of the book is from the same area in which the story was set. The author transferred the love she has for her land, to the main character of the story, who, even after having heard reports from friends who considered Naggo Head to be a cursed land, she chose, in the end, to return and stay in her homeland.

I would like to congratulate the author for the way she built the characters in the story, the physical and psychological description of the characters is impressive. So much so that just by reading the books, we can shape the images of the characters in our minds. Another thing I would like to mention is that by the title of the book, it is likely that many think that it is a love story. However, this is not the case, as the main character says, "is a story about an island in the sun, it's people coming from autumnal age, and the sophistries of Summer days. It is a story of regrets and unforgivers and redemption.", as you can read, there is a lot of aspects being mentioned in this cote, but love isn't one of them.

It is a very interesting story, and I recommend it to everyone who enjoys historical fiction, drama, and whoever enjoys a good story. However, one aspect that I think will confuse readers is the written dialogues of the people of Naggo Head. But soon as they get used to them, they'll enjoy the book. The book was professionally edited and for that, I congratulate the author. I was able to find very few errors. Therefore, they won't be enough for me to give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars .

Sophistries of Summer Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”