Official Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition) by Biju Vasudevan

Official Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy

Post by Kibetious » 04 Jul 2019, 11:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy" by GJ Neumann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Christopher Martin Storm was born on April 1, 1951, in New England. During delivery, his mother developed a complication and had to be rushed to the hospital. She was pronounced dead on arrival, and this had a huge impact on Martin Storm, Christopher’s dad. He blamed his little son for the death of his wife and could not leave the hospital for many days. Therefore, the little Christopher was taken care of by Mrs. Wolf. Christopher Storm had a latent memory gift that astonished many people even before celebrating his first birthday. He preferred storybooks to baby toys and would hold them and make noises pretending to be reading. This boy prodigy most certainly had a promising future ahead of him. This book chronicles the life of Christopher from his birth in 1951 to the time of his disappearance from a farm in Cambodia in 1980.

I really enjoyed reading The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy: The New England Boy Prodigy Becomes the World Renowned Memory Genius by GJ Neumann. The book is made up of thirty-seven chapters contained within its 262 pages. This is a religious historical fiction told in the present tense thus I felt as though I was an observer looking on as various events unfolded. The plot of the story was meticulously built, and all events flowed in a manner that was easy to understand. The characters were also adequately developed. Their qualities and dialogues were so realistic that I felt like this was a nonfiction historical novel. Christopher Martin Storm had a strong personality and a firm faith in God. However, he also possessed weaknesses that made him relatable. This was the same for all the characters in the book.

The author intertwined several themes to produce this fascinating novel. The most prominent themes included love, family, faith, diplomacy, sacrifice, slavery, salvation, faithfulness, pain, and child-trafficking. My favorite themes were love and family. The author did not describe superheroes and superheroines who had perfect relationships but people who experienced challenges in their relationships and had to seek ways to resolve them.

What I liked most was character development. All the characters were endearing, and I found myself looking up to most of them. Every character had a significant role to fulfill. The author also employed vivid description in the book. When describing Duluth, the author reveals a delightful place that most readers will definitely desire to visit. On the other hand, one is left pitiful when the deplorable condition in Phnom Chisoris is described. The ending seemed rushed, though, and this is what I did not like.

The book was well edited although it had a few grammatical errors. These errors did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the book, though. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of historical fiction. It will appeal mainly to Christians although anyone with an open-mind will most certainly enjoy devouring it.

The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: I Guess I Just Wasn't Thinking Part Two by W K "Jake" Wehrell

Post by Wyland » 14 Jul 2019, 05:47

I like how you have introduced the book and the description of Christopher and his father. I am glad he attributes his gifts to God. But his disappearance? How sad. Thanks for your enjoyable review.

DorcasToo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by DorcasToo » 14 Jul 2019, 07:10

Also loving the introduction it's really catchy and interesting enough to make someone want to read. Nice review.
He lays me besides still waters. He prepares a banquet before my enemies.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall not fear.
For the Lord is my Shepherd
:techie-reference:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Vine and the Cross by Jean Marie Ivey

Post by Cecilia_L » 14 Jul 2019, 09:44

The author intertwined several themes to produce this fascinating novel. The most prominent themes included love, family, faith, diplomacy, sacrifice, slavery, salvation, faithfulness, pain, and child-trafficking. My favorite themes were love and family. The author did not describe superheroes and superheroines who had perfect relationships but people who experienced challenges in their relationships and had to seek ways to resolve them.
This sounds like a very inspirational story. Thanks for your enlightening review.

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wriley » 14 Jul 2019, 10:24

With the main character going missing this sounds like a nonfiction book. I like happy endings. The concept of having memories as a baby is interesting. Maybe it's a real ability someone in the world has. I would read this if not for the ending.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Learning to trust yourself by Lisa Flannigan

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Jul 2019, 13:37

Christopher sounds like quite an interesting person. I'm curious about his disappearance. Thanks for all the information on this book. Still, I don't think it's one I'd enjoy.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by LinaMueller » 14 Jul 2019, 14:24

Christopher Martin Storm seems to have been a gifted individual and a decent person. His disappearance was really sad. Nice review, kibetious.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: With My Papa at Cowboy Pond by R. K. Lindsey, Jr.

Post by Tomah » 14 Jul 2019, 14:49

This novel seems to feature quite a diverse range of themes and plotlines, from faith to kidnaps and child-trafficking. I suppose the book should be suitable for non-Christian audiences as well since there's plenty of content to please everyone. Characters who are too perfect can ruin a story for me, so I'm glad to hear this author manages to balance the protagonist's strengths and flaws. Thanks for the review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Meg98 » 14 Jul 2019, 21:34

Wow. This sounds like a very insightful and tear-jerking read! I am very interested in this one. Thanks for this great review!!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The 36 Watchers, by Dan Bar Hava

Post by Prisallen » 15 Jul 2019, 07:58

I love books with well-developed characters, especially when people have flaws but seek to overcome them. This sounds like a very interesting story. I enjoyed reading your review!

janelwhite
2019 Reading Goal: 22
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite » 17 Jul 2019, 09:29

Thank you for that review. This story sounds intriguing. I like that the characters are endearing. It means so much to have believable characters you can connect with.

Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Post by Areej Tahir » 19 Jul 2019, 15:31

Your review has a very nice start, the introduction was well put. Christopher's disappearance is sad and has also piqued my intered. Thanks for this review, loved reading it!

CommMayo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: &lifegoeson by major thomas
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 20 Jul 2019, 09:09

Nicely written review. You make this sound like a very interesting book. Good job!

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: A Second Chance at Dancing: A Memoir of Sorts
Bookshelf Size: 782
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition) by Biju Vasudevan

Post by Kibetious » 31 Jul 2019, 07:52

Thanks all for all the wonderful comments and views on the book and the review. I am very grateful.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Historical Fiction”