Official Review: The Many Moods of Maggie Mu and Molly, Too

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Official Review: The Many Moods of Maggie Mu and Molly, Too

Post by Cecilia_L » 23 Jan 2019, 09:55

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Many Moods of Maggie Mu and Molly, Too" by Julie Fox.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I hear you. I see you, and I love you," are the words Molly has whispered to her furry friend, Maggie Mu, since the day she brought her home from the pet store. The Many Moods of Maggie Mu and Molly, Too by Julie Fox is an educational children's book that teaches young readers how to identify their emotions and learn to advocate for themselves.

Beautifully illustrated by Brent Metcalf, the book features colorful art on every page, as well as cute characters including Maggie's hedgehog, who makes appearances in random places and is sure to delight young readers. In addition to the whimsical illustrations, the adventures Molly shares with her lovable pet will entertain young readers while teaching them vocabulary related to moods and emotions. Even though she is a young girl, Molly who struggles in class and is overwhelmed by background noise, sets a positive example for children who learn differently, by stepping outside of her comfort zone and requesting help from her teacher.

This is the type of book that is a pleasure to read to children. It's entertaining and well-written, and the illustrations are lovely. The overall message is teaching children self-advocacy, and I applaud the sensitive manner that the author introduces Molly's different way of learning. It isn't the focal point of the story and doesn't define who she is. Molly mentions having difficulty tuning out noise and focusing at school. The emotions she experiences are taught on a child's level. The author seamlessly weaves the vocabulary into the storyline, and throughout the book, the new words are subtly underlined in gray and included in a glossary at the end of the book. Initially, it may be necessary to explain the meanings of certain words. For example, according to the glossary, Maggie Mu is a nickname for "maguntuk," an Inuit word for howler. However, most children will learn the vocabulary by reading and rereading the story. Young readers will relate to a little girl who loves her dog, sometimes gets frustrated, and is learning to ask for help. Honestly, I was hooked from the time I read, "I hear you. I see you, and I love you." I can almost hear my grandson repeating the words with me, and I look forward to reading it with him soon.

I was equally impressed by the talented illustrator; not only because the illustrations evoke an emotional response based on the close bond between Molly and her pet, but also by the abundance of personality Maggie exudes. Young readers will be quite taken with Maggie Mu. I was particularly charmed by the hedgehog, Harry, who popped up randomly with appropriate accessories for the occasion and was usually placed somewhere that wasn't immediately obvious. I know from experience that children will be amused by searching for him on each page, followed by giggles and exclamations. "There's the hedgehog--look what he's wearing!"

I really can't think of anything I disliked about this book. In addition to the delightful way it teaches self-advocacy to young readers and its exceptional illustrations, it's also flawlessly edited. I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to young readers and parents, teachers, and grandparents of children ranging from preschool through second grade. It may also be resourceful for those who read to children who have been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder.

The Many Moods of Maggie Mu and Molly, Too
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

plukozu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by plukozu » 31 Jan 2019, 06:31

Great book which reminds how me it was trying to gain an understanding of learning concepts when growing up in a different way from others.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jan 2019, 07:39

plukozu wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 06:31
Great book which reminds how me it was trying to gain an understanding of learning concepts when growing up in a different way from others.
Thanks for your comment.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 31 Jan 2019, 09:03

I love the cover. I love that there are animals in this and that it has such a great message for children. All in all it sounds perfect! Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jan 2019, 09:05

kandscreeley wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 09:03
I love the cover. I love that there are animals in this and that it has such a great message for children. All in all it sounds perfect! Thanks.
It really is a fun book with a wonderful message. Thanks for your comment.

Usualsuspect
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 51
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Usualsuspect » 31 Jan 2019, 10:38

I loved this review! The wording is exceptional. The book seems very interesting, and I am going to read it soon.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 31 Jan 2019, 11:26

I enjoyed your comments about this book. I am a big supporter of pets for children. They help children develop responsibilities while giving them emotional support. It's interesting that you recommend this book for autistic children. Thanks for a beautifully written review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jan 2019, 12:24

kdstrack wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 11:26
I enjoyed your comments about this book. I am a big supporter of pets for children. They help children develop responsibilities while giving them emotional support. It's interesting that you recommend this book for autistic children. Thanks for a beautifully written review.
Thanks for your kind comments. Some of Maggie's difficulties at school are consistent with behaviors of children of high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder.

chewy4uto
2019 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto » 31 Jan 2019, 18:00

Love your review. I look forward to reading it to my nephews. They love to learn and enjoy books with good illustrations. It' so nice to see books that help children deal with there emotions.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jan 2019, 18:01

chewy4uto wrote:
31 Jan 2019, 18:00
Love your review. I look forward to reading it to my nephews. They love to learn and enjoy books with good illustrations. It' so nice to see books that help children deal with there emotions.
Thank you. I hope your nephews enjoy the book.

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 01 Feb 2019, 07:43

This is an amazing children's book that seems to hold everything a good book has to offer, such as beautifully illustrated colourful art, cute characters and a moral like how children can identify emotions and learn to advocate for themselves. Great review.

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Angels and Demons
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 01 Feb 2019, 11:44

This sounds like a cute book with a great lesson to read with my niece, who's currently in kindergarten. Great review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 01 Feb 2019, 18:24

Rose Harebate wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 07:43
This is an amazing children's book that seems to hold everything a good book has to offer, such as beautifully illustrated colourful art, cute characters and a moral like how children can identify emotions and learn to advocate for themselves. Great review.
Thanks for your comment, Rose.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 01 Feb 2019, 18:25

Mbrooks2518 wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 11:44
This sounds like a cute book with a great lesson to read with my niece, who's currently in kindergarten. Great review!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 01 Feb 2019, 20:22

I am impressed that the author thought of writing a book that will teach kids how to distinguish their emotions. I think children need this kind book so they will know the emotions as early as possible. It was a good read, thanks for the review!

Return to “Children's Books”