Review by Beauty Jay -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beauty Jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauty-jay.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by Beauty Jay -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Beauty Jay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

REVIEW OF ISLAND GAMES: MYSTERY OF THE FOUR QUADRANTS
The novel ISLAND GAMES: MYSTERY OF THE FOUR QUADRANTS by Caleb J. Boyer is about two boys Matthew and Ryan who awaken on a sandy beach on an island. The two boys who are best friends have no idea how they got there in the first place. They face challenges of not having food, water and a decent place to sleep at night. The two best friends have to work together as a team and they are rewarded with food and water. The challenges they face get harder and harder throughout the story as the plot thickens.

What I liked about the book was the use of humor amidst the challenges the boys were facing. Ryan calling Matthew mommy made me laugh while reading the novel. Another sense of humor was when the boys referred the deserted island as a five star vacation resort. I also liked the use of dialogue in the book whereby Matthew and Ryan conversed and it gave me the real picture of how things were at the island. The story line is captivating and I found myself eager to know what would happen next? Honestly I felt like I was watching a thriller movie, I enjoyed the book. The novel made me reflect on life how often we take things for granted like good food, water and shelter. It made me realize that we should be grateful and not wasteful. Family love and friendship is also important to appreciate all the time.

The author uses literary styles like onomatopoeia for example the ducks quack quack and also the crowing cock- a –doodle-doo. These words created the sense of the sounds and it felt like I was hearing them as they were being described by the author. I liked the use of these sounds as they were in the natural settings.

What I did not like was the ending of the book. The suspense was too much to handle and I wished the author had told us what happened to the two boys at the end. After reading the whole novel, I felt like the two boys could have a happy ending. Anyway at the end, the author explained why he left us in suspense.

I rate the novel 4 out of 4 stars. The book is interesting to read in fact very thrilling at the same time it is inspirational because of the challenges that we face in life, we truly overcome them at the end of it all. Our family and friends help us throughout life and should be valued and cherished. The book would be enjoyed most by teenagers and also adults because it is all inclusive in terms of good grammar and the plot of the story is fun and really interesting.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Beauty Jay's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”