Review by Ladybug1516 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lara Leduc
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug1516.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Game Ever Played...Maybe by Otto L. Wheeler

Review by Ladybug1516 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Lara Leduc »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adam is a high school student that has never fit in and doesn’t approve of the way humans act. One day, a new girl, Carly, starts at the school and Adam feels an immediate connection to her. After their bond develops, Carly introduces Adam into a whole new world, one he could have never imagined. After being introduced to Carly’s world, Adam understands why he never fit in with any of the other students. Adam learns to love and trust while he goes on dangerous adventures and is faced with hard decisions.

After reading Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign, I would give it a four out of four star rating. Opaque was extremely well-written and exceptionally well-edited. At first, I wasn’t enthralled with Adam’s character; however, Leigh-Reign did a phenomenal job with character development and I grew to love Adam by the end of the book. Leigh-Reign had me falling in love with each and every character as well as crying right alongside them.

One of the things I liked most about Opaque is Leigh-Reign’s descriptive writing. Leigh-Reign did such a great job with describing scenes and emotions, which kept me engaged throughout the entire book. One of the things I liked least is that there was one dark scene towards the beginning of the book that did not contribute to the story and could have been left out. I also disliked that there were some Russian sentences and words that were never explained leaving me feeling like I was missing out on part of the book.

The book did have a couple words where I had to look up the meaning, which put a halt to the story while I looked up the definition. I think the larger words could have easily been replaced with words that every reader would understand. Even with difficult words, the story kept me interested the entire time and kept me wondering what was going to happen next. I had a hard time putting this book down and would pick it right back up the next morning.

I would recommend this book to young adults who are interested in stories of urban fantasy and science-fiction. This book would be great for a reader who enjoys stories about superheroes or mutants. Opaque is a fast-paced book that will keep the readers on the edge of their seats. I look forward to reading the second book in the series.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”