Review by kmittag67 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Review by kmittag67 -- Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by kmittag67 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign is the first book in the Scion young adult fantasy Saga. Adam Caspian, a sixteen-year-old high school senior, is a troubled teenager full of hatred for everyone except his mother. Violent and ruthless thoughts run constantly through his mind. He realizes these thoughts are not normal or appropriate so he has learned to do whatever is necessary to blend in with others. His confusion is even more complex since his obsessive love for his mother consists of dreams and fantasies that he knows is wrong. He struggles to be in control and feels it is a losing battle.

Carly Wit has recently moved to Piure, California. The town that Adam has lived in all his life. When Carly also begins her last year of high school, she meets Adam and they are immediately drawn to each other. Carly and Adam fall in love and discover they have much more in common than either one of them thought. As they learn to trust each other and share their innermost secrets, a bond is formed that is unique and magical.

Carly is a Russian mutant descendant with supernatural powers. She has come to live with her aunt to escape the Iksha who has hunted, tortured, and killed her people for centuries. Adam and Carly become inseparable with Carly’s loving spirit bringing out the best in Adam. Her powers give her a glimpse of his dark, disturbing thoughts but her love and the deep-seated connection she feels for Adam are too strong for her to deny.

My favorite character in this novel is Carly. She is intelligent with a strong and spirited personality. She is a vibrant young woman raised by loving parents who have taught her the skills she needs to survive. She brings a much needed positive presence to Adam’s dark and mysterious spirit.

The character that I dislike the most in this novel is Mark, Adam’s father. He has a bland personality that does not stand out like the rest of the characters in this book. He does not add much to the storyline and could be deleted. Adam’s mother is a strong parental presence in Adam’s life; she could easily be a single mom. Mark would not be missed.

The part of the novel I liked the least is the first chapter with Adam’s dark and disturbing thoughts leaning toward sociopathic tendencies. I was not sure I wanted to continue reading this book but I am so glad that I did. As the book progressed, Calix Leigh-Reign connects everything in a most intriguing and insightful way. There were surprising twists that kept me wanting to read more and more to see what happens next. These twists and turns are what I enjoyed most about this book.

There was one instance of profanity. Adam even acknowledges to himself that Carly said a word she normally does not have in her vocabulary. The word fits the situation perfectly. I believe this book to be well-edited as I did not find grammatical or spelling errors.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I could not put it down. It is well written with strong character development. I am looking forward to reading, Split Adam, the next book in the Scion Saga.

There are a few instances where the subject matter of this book consists of sexual assaults, death, and torture. Therefore, I recommend Opaque for anyone over the age of 13 especially if you are a fan of sci-fi, fantasy, and superheroes.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Excellent review! I like how you describe your liked and disliked characters. I am very interested in reading this book.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”