Review by kadinkins14 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kadinkins14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadinkins14.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by kadinkins14 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by kadinkins14 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann is an enjoyable read with a variety of appealing aspects. Amanda, a young woman with a tragic background, happens to save the life of a Chicago police officer one morning on her way to work. Understandably, their lives are forever intertwined but Mark and Amanda discover that their unique connection may have begun decades before they were even born. They both are inexplicably drawn to an antique clock that has its origins prior to the 1800s. While they unravel the tale that binds them together, Mark and Amanda discern their feelings for each other and lean on each other’s support to navigate through their past and present troubles.

I would give this novel a 4 out of 4 stars. I thought this novel was expertly executed and I can tell that the author conducted meticulous research to make the historical details come alive. I’m not sure whether I enjoyed the romance or the historical fiction better but both elements made the novel a satisfying read for me. The varying settings and time periods were fascinating and I believe that this will appeal to a variety of readers. I especially enjoyed the setting of Charleston during the Civil War and the folklore descriptions of St. Michael’s bells. The back and forth between modern day Chicago and then the 1800s won’t let the reader get too comfortable with the plot; I felt as if I were climbing a mountain road with all the switchbacks that the story offered.

I will forewarn any potential readers that my only real complaint regarding the novel is lack of character development. Amanda and Mark are quite predictable and therefore I was never surprised by their actions. Amanda will continue to try to fight her interest in Mark and Mark will continue to appease and coddle Amanda while she fights the demons of her past. Mark is the quintessential gentleman and does not deviate from this role; even when the reader wants to give up on Amanda, Mark hangs in there and won’t let her go. While Mark’s character is an integral part to the plot I found his stubborn resolve to care for Amanda when she keeps rejecting him quite hard to fathom. Mark’s character is exasperatingly too good.

I believe that this novel will be enjoyed by a vast crowd of readers. Historical fiction buffs and romance revelers are the intended target audience but anyone who enjoys fiction will most likely find something to appreciate in this book. The novel is professionally edited and I liked Samyann’s writing style. There are scenes with sensuality and profanity throughout the novel and immature readers should be cautioned of this.

Yesterday entertaining story is a fun read that will keep its readers turning the pages. Who can resist a romantic historical fiction novel? I fall for it every time.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This really sounds like an enjoyable read, full of fantasy and romance, exactly my two favourite things in a book. Thanks for the great review!
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It sounds like a good deal of reading a historical fiction plus romance. Nice review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”