Review by Browlyns -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Browlyns -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Browlyns »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That Were Naked? By William E. Combs is a religious book. It is more of an exposition of the book of Genesis chapter two and three with the main focus being on how sin came to the world and redemption from sin through faith and Jesus Christ.

This book is divided into ten chapters with each chapter further broken down into various topics. The writer starts his introduction with his childhood story about light, how he compared different sources of light i.e. a lamp, flashlight and the aurora of the Alaskan skies. This shaped how he viewed light differently and influenced his understanding of the bible and preaching. He approaches the topics as if he is giving a sermon to a congregation. He tries to show sin in a different light away from traditional belief and understanding, how and why it followed us from Adam and how Christians should approach and overcome sin.

What I liked most about this book is the author’s style of writing. When talking about a biblical story, unlike other writers, he comes up with a setting or additional story. This made me understand the book of Genesis like never before. The author goes ahead and writes down the bible verses instead of just quoting them. This gave me the time to read the book without stopping to consult the bible hence maintaining the flow of the story. This book also contains study questions meant to guide the reader to understand the bible more. There are a couple of personal testimonies that made this book entertaining as much as encouraging to immature Christians. These testimonies taught me to understand how to fight spiritual battles and know when God is talking to me.

There are some things in this book that I didn’t like, for example, the author uses phrases such as Three-holer which I did not understand its meaning nor does he explain its meaning; this slowed me down a little. There are some errors, omissions and mistakes in this book. Most errors are in the biblical quotations, but this did not slow me down any bit. The book appears to have a professional touch; it is well organized in terms of planning and builds up its story-line well. The author occasionally uses some new interesting words such as rancorous which helped me improve my language. For this reason, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This book will appeal more to lovers of Christian material more so for the spiritual and biblical study. It is not suitable for those readers who don’t like reading religious material, and even less appealing to non-Christians.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Browlyns's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”