Review by DorcasToo -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden, is an amazing and epic non-fictional Christian-written book. It consists of ten chapters with several subtopics between them. The book is an eye-opener and undoubtedly a must-read for Christians and Bible scholars in general.
“I heard the s-sound of you w-w-walking in the garden and I was a-a-a-afraid because I was n-n-naked . . . and I hid,” he stammered nearly uncontrollably. “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten the fruit of the tree I commanded you not to eat?” the Lord asked.
I am starting with this quotation from Chapter 2 of the book that forms its foundation, hence, the title. Also, the author quotes this from the Bible confirming this is a Christian non-fiction.

The garden of Eden has had so many theories formulated to explain its existence and its contribution to the fall of man. Adam and Eve and the story of creation are a mystery. In this book, the author tries demystifying sin, the origin and the facts surrounding it. He takes us step-by-step from the beginning; in between, he refers to scripture, provides personal testimonies and experiences and then describes any of the points given. He continues delving further into its consequences and the finality. When I reached the end of Chapter 3 I felt like the book was done as much had been covered. As a result, I was surprised at the angle the author takes when he delves into the epistles and the New Testament.

Rev. Bill Combs has produced a stunning work on this book. He's mastered the scriptures and with the wisdom he holds, openly shares with us. The book has been written using different fonts and at times the texts italicized. This is a writing style he has used to differentiate quotes from the Bible, description/explanation and his personal experience/testimony. I think this aspect inadvertently makes reading and comprehension of the book even better. Another divine aspect is the questions at the end of every chapter. I think this is extremely beneficial for Bible study both as a person or a group.

There is nothing not to like in this book. The editing was excellently done as I didn't detect any errors. The style of writing was beautiful, the plot was smooth and the language easy to understand. Apart from one incident where there is no backup from the scriptures; I can't say much about it since I will be providing a spoiler. I didn't uncover anything that could cause the liking of this book to reduce.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars as I enjoyed every bit of it. I recommend this book to Christians and Bible scholars who feel the need to expand their knowledge. Lastly, the book can be read by a general audience as there is no vulgar language used.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”