Official Review: Beat The Odds by Mona AlHebsi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Spirits of the Land by Mark Gomes

Official Review: Beat The Odds by Mona AlHebsi

Post by SpencerVo » 21 Jan 2019, 07:33

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beat The Odds" by Mona AlHebsi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is the wisdom of a woman who has risen above many social norms and professional obstacles to become one of the most sought-after hoteliers in the United Arab Emirates.

Mona AlHebsi is the eldest daughter in a traditional family. Throughout her life, she has always been the stubborn fish who refuses to swim along the current. Despite the initial disapproval from her family and friends, she determined to become a renowned hotelier. After fourteen years facing many challenges and self-doubt, she is now confident to reveal her winning formula for professional success. The advice is designed to build an independent and visionary mindset, strong integrity, cunning skills, and a stellar reputation. She also shares many encouraging words and dares you to reach the heights of your own field.

The stories of strong-minded women who fight their ways to become formidable forces in the business world are popular in mainstream media. And yet, what I find so exceptional about AlHebsi’s book is that it is neither a generic self-help book nor an inspiring fairy tale. In fact, Beat The Odds resembles a personal coaching session. Each chapter will equip you with a fundamental tool to achieve professional fulfillment. It starts with a condensed piece of advice and then expands into a practical, step-by-step action plan. Following is a short Q&A section where she addresses your inhibitions and discusses possible dilemmas in workplaces. The chapter ends with instructions to craft a personal game plan to suit your character and goals. Supplementary references, including a list of recommended books written by experts and assessment tests designed by trustworthy institutions, are also provided. My favorite part is where AlHebsi shares some tips on how to broadcast your accomplishments to further your credibility and assist others without coming across as boastful and irritating.

Mona AlHebsi’s spirit shines in every word and builds her up to be a commanding and steadfast figure. At the same time, she speaks from personal experience, thereby reminding you of a supportive and reliable sister. All in all, she projects the image of an extraordinary yet ordinary woman, which will convince you that you can achieve the same level of success by emulating her wisdom, patience, and determination.

The book is well edited, and it is written in clear and concise terms. If there is any critique, I think AlHebsi could have dedicated a chapter to deal with specific difficulties which women are more likely to face, such as sex discrimination and the struggle to balance between family and career. Despite that, the book is still wholesome and satisfactory, so I am happy to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Beat The Odds is highly recommended to professionals who desire to achieve long-term success in any field requiring business savvy and adept social skills. Besides, ambitious college students should read it to plan out their future paths. However, women who do not focus too much on their careers can find this book counter-intuitive and demanding.

Beat The Odds
View: on Bookshelves

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Jan 2019, 08:24

This sounds very intriguing. With Mona coming from a traditional family, I'm sure that added even more obstacles to her success. I love the fact that this isn't like every other self-help book out there as well. You've got me wanting to read this, even though I don't really go for this type of book very often. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Spirits of the Land by Mark Gomes

Post by SpencerVo » 25 Jan 2019, 12:12

kandscreeley wrote:
24 Jan 2019, 08:24
This sounds very intriguing. With Mona coming from a traditional family, I'm sure that added even more obstacles to her success. I love the fact that this isn't like every other self-help book out there as well. You've got me wanting to read this, even though I don't really go for this type of book very often. Thanks.
Thank you for your kind comment. I hope you will enjoy this book as much as I did.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

JanetLe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JanetLe » 27 Jan 2019, 01:34

"it is neither a generic self-help book nor an inspiring fairy tale. In fact, Beat The Odds resembles a personal coaching session". This book is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks for your great review. Keep up your good work! :tiphat:

ufuoma jerome
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by ufuoma jerome » 30 Jan 2019, 06:59

This book sound intriguing.
I would love to read this book.
Thanks for the review

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 18 Feb 2019, 02:16

This looks like a good self help book. The author is a true inspiration to other woman struggling to survive in an environment oozing with testosterone.

Mantha1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mantha1.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Mantha1 » 09 Mar 2019, 10:54

I think it is not too much to ask if we have more women come out to share their success stories. I would sure love to get some nuggets from this book. Great review!

hedwigwhite
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hedwigwhite.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by hedwigwhite » 10 Mar 2019, 00:14

SpencerVo wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 07:33
If there is any critique, I think AlHebsi could have dedicated a chapter to deal with specific difficulties which women are more likely to face, such as sex discrimination and the struggle to balance between family and career.
Completely agree with this. Mona is one of the most sought-after hoteliers in the United Arab Emirates, a place with plenty of discrimination against women. I'm sure Mona encountered plenty of struggles in the workplace on top of being part of a traditional family.

Still, your review piqued my interest! Thanks for the wonderful review. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: My Rabbit in the Moon by Mandy Mazure

Post by Eva Darrington » 11 Mar 2019, 11:23

This sounds intriguing. A successful female entrepreneur in the UAE would have a lot to impart, I would imagine. Really interesting review. Thank you.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”