Review by Maviel -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maviel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maviel.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by Maviel -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Maviel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Altitude Journals is a memoir by author David J. Mauro and spans the seven-year period in his life from 2007 to 2013 in which he attempted to tackle the highest mountain peak on each of the seven continents, known collectively as 'The Seven Summits’. Climbing to the top of even one of these is not for the faint of heart and the achievement is a mountaineering feat that many aim to, and yet fail to, accomplish. Mount Everest which stands at 8,848m above sea level is considered widely as the pinnacle of this challenge.

With honesty, humility, and humour, David J. Mauro shares his mountain climbing experiences as an ordinary man taking on extraordinary challenges. With zero past mountaineering know-how, at age forty-four and fresh out of divorce, his story weaves together the challenges encountered in his own personal life as well as those faced on the gruelling mountain climbs over a seven-year period. It is written candidly with raw insight offering the reader an interesting perspective from a man who never in his wildest dreams imagined his life would lead to such places.

'The Seven Summits’ comprise of Mount Denali, Kilimanjaro, Elbrus, Aconcagua, Vinson Massif, Carstensz Pyramid, and Everest. I found this story opened up my eyes more to the world, something I hope each new book I read will do, teaching me new things about the natural world, its landscape and different geographical areas. It is loaded with interesting facts about the various terrains, weather conditions, history of the mountains, as well as the native people who inhabit the surrounding areas.

The story flows with a genuine ease and is not all about mountain climbing. As with many memoirs, it is a personal account of his life during that period both on and off the mountains. It details the incredible highs and the soul-crushing lows life offers, and is a journey of self-discovery, which more often than not can be quite painful. Prior to beginning his memoir David J. Mauro had an online blog which he used to publish parts of his journey to readers around the world. I think that skill has helped to imbue his memoir with an authentic voice.

The book is quite lengthy, totalling 456 pages, however it is divided up into seven very distinct sections each referencing the authors attempt to reach one of the Seven Summits. I found this made for a smooth and easier read than I was expecting and allowed for time to reflect before moving on to the next part. If you choose to pick up this book and have a go then you can expect a great read ahead filled with some incredible, and true, cliff-hangers!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, very well edited and flows nicely from start to finish. If you take pleasure in reading memoirs about real people dealing with life and the challenges it throws then I recommend this one. Additionally, I highly recommend it to those with a curiosity in the outdoors and travelling, the natural world around us, and the endurance of the human spirit to survive in incredibly harsh environments.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Maviel's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”