Official Review: Tofu From Scratch by Iris Blume

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Tofu From Scratch by Iris Blume

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tofu From Scratch" by Iris Blume.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since the 1970s, tofu has become a staple plant-based protein in the United States because of its low cost, versatility, and nutritional value. When Iris Blume discovered she had high cholesterol, she adopted a plant-based diet, free from cholesterol-causing animal products. Blume lives in rural Alaska where fish and game are standard fare and health foods are scarce. Tofu, a staple for vegans, was not available in her town, so she decided to learn how to make it herself.

In Tofu From Scratch, Blume distills her experimentations into a cohesive, step-by-step guide to making homemade soy milk and tofu. She includes over twenty-five additional recipes for her favorite vegan marinades and sauces, and other delectables, such as sweet and sour tofu, tofu coconut curry, tofu sushi, and even tofu chocolate mousse. A section on the history and science of tofu follows the recipes, and a resources section rounds out the book. Who knew Benjamin Franklin was the first person to make tofu in the United States?

What is tofu, anyway? It’s a spongy, high-protein product that results from processing soy milk. Making good, healthy tofu, Blume emphasizes, depends on the quality of its primary ingredient, the soy milk. Homemade organic soy milk is best. The soy milk recipe requires a commitment of time and energy or an investment in a soy milk maker. Making the block-shaped tofu product involves a couple of specialized tools, including a tofu mold.

Tofu From Scratch is beautifully presented, with the bulk of the information pertaining to the process of making the tofu: the materials, ingredients, and methods. The information is presented concisely and professionally and includes a series of quality, instructive photos detailing the whole process. I could tell Blume’s methods were time-tested, as she includes many tips and tricks to avoid making beginner mistakes. My only small critique is that the font used for the recipe titles shows very faintly on my Kindle version. This made it somewhat challenging to browse through to find a certain recipe because other font types, sizes and formats overshadowed the recipe titles. It appears the book was professionally edited, as I found only two small typos.

Iris Blume lost thirty pounds and brought her cholesterol into the normal range with a vegan diet. Having spent two years as a raw-foods vegan, I can attest to the health benefits of plant-based diets. Even if you do live near a city with plenty of health food options, there are still good reasons to consider making tofu from scratch: It requires a small investment in a few tools initially, but over the long term homemade tofu is cheaper, tastier, cleaner, and more nutritious. I rate Tofu From Scratch: A Beginner’s Guide for Vegans 4 out of 4 stars. It is the second book in Blume’s Vegan in the Wilderness Mini-Series. Health food chefs and home cooks alike will appreciate this elegant cookbook for its clarity and simplicity. I am encouraged to become more savvy about tofu as a healthy protein source and will seriously consider placing a tofu mold in the cabinet next to my Vitamix.

Tofu From Scratch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvelynBlake
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelynblake.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by EvelynBlake »

I have wondered about how hard it is to make tofu from scratch. I go through quite a lot of the stuff and it can be expensive. I'm intrigued!
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I don't think I could ever become a vegan. Two words: bacon and cheese.
If your only critique is a font error on your Kindle, then kudos to the author! I think it's wonderful that you were the one to review this book - as a vegan I'm sure there were loads of tidbits for you to absorb :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I have friends and family members I'll be recommending this book to. The fact that it contains the steps to making tofu itself is a plus because I've always wondered how tofu is made. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

I do not intend to go vegan, but I'm considering cutting down on protein from animal sources, so I hope this book will give me some great advice and recipes. Thanks for this review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I love tofu! I'm not vegan but I fast from meat sometimes and tofu is my go-to meal. I prepare it scrambled, curried, stewed, and even add it to stir-fry veggies. I've never thought to prepare it from scratch, and I'd love to read this book. Thanks for writing such a great review!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I have never had tofu. Maybe I'll try it. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love tofu; it's almost a staple in my diet. I have seen videos of its making, and it seems arduous, so kudos to Blume for making her own, definitely! I would certainly be interested in picking up her book for her recipes and her tips. Thanks for an amazing review, Eva!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

"Who knew Benjamin Franklin was the first person to make tofu in the United States?"

:) Wow. This sounds amazing. I like tofu but it seems like there's only so much you can do with it. I'm interested to see what Ms. Blume has concocted. Thanks for this review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I admire the author for going to all the trouble to make her own tofu. I've tried tofu, and I just can't enjoy it. Therefore I don't think this is the right book for me. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I don't think I've ever known anyone who made their own tofu. From your review, it sounds like the author did a great job. It's doubtful I'll ever become a vegan, but I enjoyed your review.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Did you make any of the recipes from the book?
I really struggle with tofu, it falls apart as I cook it and leaves the meals looking like grey cat food. I should give this book a try to see where I'm going wrong.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

EvelynBlake wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 16:05 I have wondered about how hard it is to make tofu from scratch. I go through quite a lot of the stuff and it can be expensive. I'm intrigued!
I think you might enjoy this book. The process is involved but the author has written the steps very clearly. There is also some down time in the recipes while certain processes happen. It's really interesting.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 16:41 I don't think I could ever become a vegan. Two words: bacon and cheese.
If your only critique is a font error on your Kindle, then kudos to the author! I think it's wonderful that you were the one to review this book - as a vegan I'm sure there were loads of tidbits for you to absorb :)
Great review!
Thanks Bianka. I have backslid on being a vegan through the years (might have something to do with that bacon and cheese thing:) but I do still eat a lot of plant proteins for health reasons. Thanks for dropping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 16:41 I don't think I could ever become a vegan. Two words: bacon and cheese.
Great review!
Thanks Bianka. I have backslid on being a vegan through the years (might have something to do with that bacon and cheese thing:) but I do still eat a lot of plant proteins for health reasons. Thanks for dropping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”