Review by beth-wanjira -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
beth-wanjira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-wanjira.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Review by beth-wanjira -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by beth-wanjira »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked by William E Combs is a Theological book based on the book of Genesis in the Bible. God created Adam and placed him in the garden of Eden. He gave him the responsibility of giving names to all the animals. Then God realized that Adam was lonely and decided to create a mate for him. He made Adam get into a deep sleep, removed one of his ribs and made for him Eve, who was to be his helper. Eve was deceived by the serpent and ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge and evil which God had asked them not to touch. He told her that if they ate the fruit of the tree their eyes would be opened and they would be like God.

Immediately after eating the fruit, they discovered that they were naked and were ashamed. When God came looking for them later, they hid among the bushes. He asked them why they were hiding and Adam said it was because they were naked. Adam blamed Eve for giving him the fruit from the tree of knowledge and evil while Eve blamed the serpent for convincing her to eat the fruit. The author then goes on to explain that, that is the way sin entered the world.

After each chapter narrating the dramatized Bible story is a theological analysis of the concepts arising therein followed by revision questions. The author also incorporates his own experiences in the book. The book features a great number of Bible verses. He finishes up the book by highlighting views of early Christian scholars on sin and gives quotes from their presentations.

I loved reading the book as it enlightens the reader on the real meaning of the fruit of knowledge and evil as the story of creation in the Bible is written in form of parables and is interpreted differently by different people. I would recommend the book to Christians striving to understand the Bible better and increase their faith as the narrations are full of insight, wisdom and enlightenment. It is also a resourceful reference material for students of Theology. However, I would not recommend it to people who are offended by Biblical principles.

What I didn't like about the book is that it is too repetitive. The author in a bid to limit himself to the topic of sin tends to just revolve around the same issues over and over again. He has also used some Bible verses more than once.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 as it is professionally written and well edited.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like beth-wanjira's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The author has certainly given us a very creative take on the Adam and Eve's issue in the Garden of Eden. He has also presented to us how we should deal with problems in our own lives and should, therefore, be commended. Thank you for your very insightful review of this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”