Official Review: Maverick Priest, A Story of Life on the ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: Weavy Things
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Love, Time Is Gone by Joseph Bartley Haltom III

Official Review: Maverick Priest, A Story of Life on the ...

Post by Cecilia_L » 18 Sep 2018, 12:21

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Maverick Priest, A Story of Life on the Edge" by Harry J Bury.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I'm finally coming to realize that a life connected to Jesus results in a life that loves more, forgives more, and gives more. Through Jesus, we stay connected with God and one another." Father Harry J. Bury

Father Harry J. Bury is not your typical Roman Catholic priest. Maverick Priest, A Story of Life on the Edge is the first-person narrative of his journey as a messenger of love, peace, and nonviolent political activism.

At eighty-eight years of age, Father Bury's story of his experiences as a priest, professor, and peace activist reads like an adventure novel. His desire to live a life that makes a difference has often placed him in danger with foreign governments. He served alongside Mother Teresa of Calcutta and participated in the release of American POWs in Vietnam. Spanning over sixty years, he has traveled to Vietnam, India, Cambodia, Hong Kong, Costa Rica, Thailand, Israel, and Palestine. He was arrested at the Pentagon, chained to the American Embassy gates in Saigon, and abducted at gunpoint in Gaza. He is a Professor Emeritus of Organizational Behavior and Administration and taught at Baldwin Wallace University for thirty years. He currently serves as a facilitator on the nonviolence committee for the Association of U.S. Catholic Priests. On International Peace Day, September 21, they will be initiating Ten Days of Nonviolence in hopes of creating a nonviolent environment in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

I was enthralled and inspired by the life of service the author has lived. His conversational first-person narrative brought his travels and experiences to life comparable to an adventure movie. The well-written memoir evoked a range of emotions including excitement, frustration, compassion, and joy. The author has truly lived a life that has made a difference, yet he was able to relate his experiences with a voice of humility, which I commend and admire. I was particularly moved by a story he shared during his time serving with Mother Teresa. He described a room housing nine large mattresses with as many one-to two-year-old babies playing on each one. Bury and his companions spent the day simply holding and playing with the abandoned children.

Adding another layer of interest to his story are the interesting people Bury met during his travels. John Denver, and Peter and Mary of the musical group Peter, Paul, and Mary, actually performed concerts as fundraisers on behalf of his travels. He credits Joan Baez for challenging his thinking regarding the hippie movement, which she considered detrimental to the peace movement. Additionally, the book is filled with wise spiritual quotes from the author, so much so that I would enjoy reading a book of his quotes alone.

“If I were to allow someone else to bring unhappiness upon me, I’d be giving away the power and control over my own life that God gave me. Not to accept this gift of power and control would signify a lack of gratitude to God.” Father Harry J. Bury

I found the chapters detailing the author's experiences in Vietnam to be a bit repetitious, and the timeline for this content was less organized than the rest of the book. For example, the book opens with the author's arrest at the U.S. Embassy in Saigon, Vietnam, in October of 1971. After the first two chapters, the timeline resumes in chronological order. However, when the ninth chapter returns to Vietnam, a few months prior to the arrest at the beginning, it was necessary to thumb back to the beginning of the book for clarity.

I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The organizational issues previously mentioned did not significantly detract from my reading enjoyment. Furthermore, I noted only a single grammatical error. The author is described as a warrior of peace and as might be expected, is quite passionate about his political views. Even so, one does not necessarily have to agree with his political views to be inspired by the book. I recommend it to readers who appreciate inspirational stories, especially those interested in peaceful activism.

Maverick Priest, A Story of Life on the Edge
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

Franc93
2018 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Franc93 » 09 Nov 2018, 01:18

I am a sucker for literature that tends to expand my overall knowledge on everything spiritual. I loved the review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

sonya01
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by sonya01 » 09 Nov 2018, 03:01

What a fascinating life this man has had! Definitely worthy of an autobiography. It is heartwarming that he achieved so much, in charitable efforts as well as his own personal growth and I reckon we can only learn from his experiences. I may just try out this book on your recommendation. Thank you Cecilia!

T_stone
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 09 Nov 2018, 07:07

I'd like to know more about Father Harry's adventures, as your review has piqued my interest in this book. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: The rise of Esther, by Paul Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 09 Nov 2018, 07:52

I loved the quotes that you had put in the review. From them alone, I could tell this book would be inspiring. Thanks for your wonderful review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: It's Just a Matter of Balance by Kevin S. Garrison

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Nov 2018, 08:28

Sounds like he's had a full life. I'm particularly interested in what he learned serving alongside Mother Theresa. I'm glad this one was well-done. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Nov 2018, 08:47

Franc93 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 01:18
I am a sucker for literature that tends to expand my overall knowledge on everything spiritual. I loved the review
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Nov 2018, 08:47

sonya01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 03:01
What a fascinating life this man has had! Definitely worthy of an autobiography. It is heartwarming that he achieved so much, in charitable efforts as well as his own personal growth and I reckon we can only learn from his experiences. I may just try out this book on your recommendation. Thank you Cecilia!
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments, Sonya.

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Nov 2018, 08:48

T_stone wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 07:07
I'd like to know more about Father Harry's adventures, as your review has piqued my interest in this book. Thanks for the review
Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Nov 2018, 08:49

melissy370 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 07:52
I loved the quotes that you had put in the review. From them alone, I could tell this book would be inspiring. Thanks for your wonderful review.
His quotes really inspired me. I'm glad you enjoyed them as well. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Nov 2018, 08:51

kandscreeley wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 08:28
Sounds like he's had a full life. I'm particularly interested in what he learned serving alongside Mother Theresa. I'm glad this one was well-done. Thanks for the review.
He really has. Thank you for your comment.

fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom » 09 Nov 2018, 11:46

What a great review! :tiphat:
Sounds like quite a story, and quite a life the priest had! You make the book sound so intriguing with your comment :At eighty-eight years of age, Father Bury's story of his experiences as a priest, professor, and peace activist reads like an adventure novel." Interesting that he also met so many famous people.

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Nov 2018, 13:32

fernsmom wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 11:46
What a great review! :tiphat:
Sounds like quite a story, and quite a life the priest had! You make the book sound so intriguing with your comment :At eighty-eight years of age, Father Bury's story of his experiences as a priest, professor, and peace activist reads like an adventure novel." Interesting that he also met so many famous people.
Thank you for your comment.

Victoroyeneye01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victoroyeneye01 » 09 Nov 2018, 14:04

I am so happy to be part of this. The book is so interesting and so pleasing to the mind. Its gives more knowledge although the creator is d only one that gives wisdom,knowledge and understanding but by reading the book,your intellectual faculty will be high and u achieve more knowledge and wisdom..

Cecilia_L

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Nov 2018, 09:15

Victoroyeneye01 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 14:04
I am so happy to be part of this. The book is so interesting and so pleasing to the mind. Its gives more knowledge although the creator is d only one that gives wisdom,knowledge and understanding but by reading the book,your intellectual faculty will be high and u achieve more knowledge and wisdom..
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”