Official Review: Me Thinks by Mary Lois Adshead

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: Me Thinks by Mary Lois Adshead

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Me Thinks" by Mary Lois Adshead.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Online blogs are a popular way for authors to quickly write down their thoughts and share them with their readers. Some bloggers have found success with turning blog entries into full-fledged manuscripts that appeal to a wider and different audience. In Me Thinks, writer Mary Lois Adshead has done just that, turning pieces from her blog into this book.

Me Thinks is a series of essays on a variety of topics including the author’s hometown in the South, her move to New Jersey, her time overseas, her work in theatre, and the unconventional school she attended as a child. Later essays deal with her take on various books and movies. To say author Mary Lois Adshead is interesting would be an understatement. Her stories are fascinating and I found myself flipping the pages with eager delight, wanting to know more. The author has lived a very full and colorful life and shares tidbits for the reader to sample. For example, as a young child growing up in the South, her mother grew frustrated with the local customs and societal norms and the family moved to the rather progressive town of Fairhope, Alabama where Mary Lois was enrolled in an experimental school with no dress code, no grades or tests, and required art classes and trips to the beach. Another essay described the realities of online dating as a senior citizen, and another talked about creating a vibrant and thriving theatre community when she lived overseas with her husband in Geneva.

I very much enjoyed reading about the author’s life. Her vast myriad of experiences made for entertaining tales and I could easily see myself sharing a pot of tea with Mary Lois Adshead as she told me about her latest foray into the world of geriatric dating or waxed poetically about her early schooling in Fairhope. We’d pour another cup and banter back-and-forth about the merits of one particular movie or another and then discuss the legacy of Harper Lee. Of course, this little tea time fantasy exists only in my mind, but Me Thinks is so full of life that it’s very easy to imagine.

This book appeared to be professionally edited and error-free and was easy to read and understand. The only real criticism I had was that I simply wanted to know more. The author has been married three different times but does not ever mention her first husband. This marriage resulted in a much-loved daughter and likely was important in Mary Lois Adshead’s life, but nothing is said about it. Some of my favorite essays were about the unique school the author attended as a child and I wanted to know more about it and almost feel cheated that so much was left out. I felt there were real solid stories started in this book, but that most of them ended too quickly with little resolution. In short, it felt like I was reading a collection of blog posts, which, as explained by the author at the beginning of the book, I was.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. I liked the essays and the author’s writing style was appealing and kept my attention. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes memoirs, stories from the South, or anyone who likes quirky and unique authors.

Me Thinks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

It's good to know you enjoyed reading this nonfiction. From your review, it seems like a fascinating narrative.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! Sounds interesting. I think I'll try this one at some point.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wouldn't have thought about doing something like this. I'm glad that the author is able to pull it off. So many times it comes off as unorganized when it's done this way, but I'm glad you enjoyed it!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sierra112
Favorite Book: Kite Runner
Currently Reading: American River: Tributaries
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra112.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by sierra112 »

Your review has left me intrigued. I'm not sure I would enjoy a book that is written in blog form, yet, your review has led me to check out the book to see if I would enjoy it. I'm going to read some of the book for that reason. Thanks for your review!
Mary
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Neat review! Something new that I have not come across before. I like biographies so I will check this out! Thank you for sharing this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

What a very interesting way of piecing together a book! Mary Lois Adshead sounds like an intriguing personality, and based on your review, I would love to get to know her! I especially like your words here:
I could easily see myself sharing a pot of tea with Mary Lois Adshead as she told me about her latest foray into the world of geriatric dating or waxed poetically about her early schooling in Fairhope. We’d pour another cup and banter back-and-forth about the merits of one particular movie or another and then discuss the legacy of Harper Lee. Of course, this little tea time fantasy exists only in my mind, but Me Thinks is so full of life that it’s very easy to imagine.
Thank you for this great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I don't usually enjoy non-fiction all that much, but I really respect how Adshead turns experiences some people might not think are all that interesting into engaging stories. Publishing a series of blog posts is a concept I haven't seen anywhere else, as well.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I think I would be in the same boat as you; wanting more stories. It sounds like the author has a way of really drawing the reader into her world, which I can appreciate. I like the concept of the book and am glad to hear it was free of editorial errors.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”