Review by Livingstone Ochieng -- Who Told You That You W...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Livingstone Ochieng
Favorite Book: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Currently Reading: Finding My Why
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livingstone-ochieng.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Livingstone Ochieng -- Who Told You That You W...

Post by Livingstone Ochieng »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Review of the Book "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs.
The aforementioned is a Christian book pegged on the creation story and the downfall of man according to the book of Genesis Chapter three.

The author sets off by recapping the story of Adam and Eve as set out in the Bible and in so doing uses imagery and postulatory remarks of how the life of Adam looked like in the first days. He does a remarkable exposition of the circumstances leading to the fall of man and God’s plan thereof to mend the broken relationship.
Every so often the author poses intriguing questions to jog the mind of the reader and broaden their perception of biblical matters. In the long run an avid reader is able to unravel the true meaning of sin not as a list of errant acts and God’s wider plan for redemption.

In the course of my reading the following concepts as projected by the author stood out for me:
That the very reason why God planted the forbidden tree in the garden even though he intended that Adam and Eve do not partake of it was that Adam like every other believer had to live by faith in order to please God.
That at birth infants acquires from their first parents (Adam and Even) an intellectual capacity to discern good and evil but not sin which develops with growth, as such in the event of death, they are able to inherit the kingdom of God.

It is quite commendable that the author buttresses some of the points he puts across with personal and real life testimonies that are quite moving.

Generally speaking I found the book quite informative and most suitable for persons who wish to develop an in depth understanding of foundational concepts of the Christian faith. Clerics and instructors of the word would also benefit a great deal from the book.

It is worth noting that although I agree with the author in many instances, at page 19 of the book I am of a divergent view. The paragraph “She quickly picked ripe samples, placed them in her basket and hurried back home to tell her husband what she discovered,” portrays an image that at the time of ingesting the forbidden fruit, Adam and Eve were at separate places. Contrary to what the Bible accounts in Genesis 3:6 “… she took of the fruit and ate and also gave some to her husband who was with her and he ate,” (English Standard Version).

In conclusion though the book was properly formatted and grammatically edited I came across a few errors, as follows:
“We all waited in the room expecting,” the word “expecting” used in place of expectant. That notwithstanding I rate the book at 4 out of 4 Stars.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Livingstone Ochieng's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”