Review by TheSeelieCourtJester -- Who Told You That You ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Review by TheSeelieCourtJester -- Who Told You That You ...

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? is a Christian nonfiction by William E. Combs that focuses the story of the Garden of Eden, and that, no matter what, God will always be there for you, despite the insecurities that haunts you.

The book begins with a vignette about Adam in the garden, as well as a retelling of how the original sin first came to be. The book later indulges in what the sin actually was, and how the tree was poisonous to the relationship between God and humanity. The book then delves into a brief retelling with the relationship between Cain and Abel, and shows how this sin affects all of humanity, and not just Adam’s family. In further chapters, Combs reaffirms our relationship with God, and reminds us of old truths in Christianity, such as having faith, and believing in God and not relying on our own understanding. Combs also includes biblical verses and anecdotes that show how God can work in our lives.

I loved how Combs portrays Adam and Eve. Unlike many of the sermons I’ve seen, he shows that the couple were and have always been only human. They were loved by God, but were tricked by the serpent because they relied on their interpretation of God’s words. They didn’t ask God himself. So when they took a bite of that fruit, they realized their own inadequacies, and were afraid to come to God because of them. I enjoyed reading this interpretation, because it was so different from what I’ve heard before. I was so used to regarding Adam and Eve as the bearers of the curse to humanity and nothing more, that what they did was so horrible they were cast out of the garden. I’ve never seen anyone actually analyze the Garden of Eden. However, Combs brought a level of realism to the story. He shows where they went wrong without judging them. Combs persists with this interpretation, dissecting the dialogue between God, Adam, and Eve. He demonstrates that the words God spoke to the couple weren’t out of anger, but rather love and sorrow.

Combs also shows what Christianity is and isn’t. Divisive messages and organizations have caused people to compare themselves to others and feel threatened, or even inadequate, at times. Combs reaffirmed the basic principles of Christianity, that we are all human, and thus, imperfect. A question Combs asks at least twice in the book was “Who told you that you need to be thinner, younger, healthier, prettier, more athletic, more intelligent, ect.?” We don’t have to subscribe to the extravagance of material objects or pride, as long as we know we’re good enough for God. Combs carried a tone that isn’t used to condemn, but rather to comfort. Still, it’s all he can do to offer up his own interpretation, yet it’s one that I’m deeply grateful for.

I grew up in a conservative Christian community I’ve heard these messages before, but they were so fleeting that I would usually forget them later. When they were brought up again, people wold agree with them, but then they’d go back to whatever they were doing, whether it be supporting hateful policies, belittling minorities, or even gossiping about each other. Even the pastor had engaged in a few questionable activities, one that laid the foundation for an eventual schism. I was shaken by this experience, and was naturally distrustful of other religious authorities. So when I picked up this book, I was suspicious. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try. After reading this book, I realized that I had to do my best, and that my relationship with God is my own concern, and no one else’s.

Thus, I would give this book a rating of a 4 out of 4 stars. Combs delivers a beautiful message beneath the scorching words of the Garden of Eden. He relates what happens in the garden to the simple insecurities we have in life, all the while reminding us that we are only human. He also shows God’s love for us, and that we don’t need self-inflated pride to feel special. The book contains anecdotes and verses that support these principles, and bring about a hopeful image that Christians can cling to during their time of need. Because of this, I would recommend this book to Christians who are struggling with their faith, as well in their walk with the Lord.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like TheSeelieCourtJester's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am happy that this book is reaching out to so many. I laud Christian authors who are able to find creative means to share the message of God's love and mercy.

Thanks for sharing your realizations, TheSeelieCourtJester!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”