Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gra Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gra-kelly.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Gra Kelly »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Dream for Peace is the memoir of Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. As an Algerian child, he longs for his country to be liberated from French colonialism. He got a scholarship to study medicine in France, where his immersion in politics and activism began. As an activist fighting for the rights of discriminated African students, his role gets him imprisoned for a time and eventually exchanged for prisoners in Morocco. Moreover, he hides for a while, providing medical services to the Moroccan people. He was fortunate to continue his studies in America, where he made an essential step in the scientific world by presenting a hypothesis that was later confirmed.
Furthermore, he also had the opportunity to teach at the Yale School of Medicine, where he worked for a while before resigning to pursue a top diplomatic role at Côte d'Ivoire as presidential advisor and chief of staff whom they shared the same belief of zealously serving poor Africans. His job was to travel to different countries on diplomatic posts, delivering missions and messages deemed confidential by the government. Together with President Houphouët-Boigny, they fought for the economic development of African countries. I admire his efforts to bring these countries to the fore in the Dialogue of Nations for Peace concerts. He is a devout Muslim and a strong interfaith leader, even initiating the construction of a mosque and a church on the same site.
The book fascinated me as I learned about the struggles most African countries endured to gain independence from colonial countries. It gives a deep insight into the ways of governing in the past and the different strategies under different rulers looking for peace among themselves.
I did not find any grammatical errors. Hence I commend the editor for the work well done. The diplomatic letters attached are visible and legible.
I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars, as the book clearly explains the author's diplomatic roles. I will remember Dr. Berrah's emphasis that we must engage in dialogue to solve humanity's many problems.
I recommend this book to anyone interested in the memoirs of remarkable people like Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. It's also a good read for those eager to learn the history of African countries during colonialism.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”