Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Conrad Writes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book is called A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador’s Memoir. It is an insightful piece by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah. It is centered on real events that deeply impacted the author and shaped him into the man he is today. A life of activism had taught him quite a lot, and he decided to use his personal experiences to help others. His message entails freedom for all people, regardless of their religion or cultural background. He stands against colonization on the African continent and uses his influence to aid the people in achieving total independence. Despite losing his father at a young age, his mother decided that she was going to do everything she could to ensure her son was raised in the right way. After witnessing the maltreatment of natives by the French colonists in his home country of Algeria, he vows to use his voice to fight for a greater cause.

This book had several positive aspects. I applaud the author for including intimate details of his life in the book. It made his message seem more authentic. He shares his thoughts about different factors in his life, such as his wife, Titi. He emphasizes the love and admiration he has for her and how grateful he is for her sacrifices. The romance between them was a surreal thing to read about, and I love that he included pictures of them in the book. The book is filled with many themes, but I think the most important would be the theme of courage and perseverance. The author lost his scholarship and faced a lot of criticism from his community for working with the Cote d'Ivoire government. Despite all the trials he had to face, he never backed down and humbly fought to maintain his dignity. The unpleasant experience faced by his people encouraged Ghoulem to participate in activism. 

This piece offers exceptional insight into Algerian-African culture and customs. My favorite lesson is acceptance of religion. Ghoulem understood that despite the major differences in religious beliefs all over the globe, we all believe in the same notion of a supreme being. The author sets a good example by marrying a Catholic Christian woman despite his Muslim background. The book also offers a rare, intimate perspective on the political workings of African countries. In addition, the book showed a lot of insight and emphasis into the author's diplomatic obligations. This will give confused readers a close-up look at the complex procedures that are necessary to ensure peace and development. The footnotes and illustrations included by the author made his story easier to follow. 

The only negative aspect I encountered in this book was the inclusion of some French words, which initially confused me. I was able to do some research to clear everything up, so my reading experience was not ruined in any way.

I will not hesitate to rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The author describes everything in such a delicate and enlightened manner that one cannot help but learn more. His writing was simple and easy to understand. I did not find any grammatical errors, so it is safe to say that it was exceptionally edited.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in historical autobiographies and conflict resolution in politics. 

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Ignacio
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

The boom talks about a man who really worked for the good of his country and the world in general. His detailed and chronicled life is worth emulating by the younger generation.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Well done for this review. Reading memoirs make one appreciate other people's experiences and the journey that catapulted them into the person that they became.
Reader_noc
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-noc.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Reader_noc »

Reading your review creates a mental image of a man who lived by principles, and worked extremely hard to create a difference. This is a beautiful review.
Stephen Grace Wonders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-grace-wonders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Stephen Grace Wonders »

I'm a new member here, however, I've come across this book and it caught my attention. Reading this review now, makes me want to read it more. There are a lot of things I want to learn more from this book. A good example is the aspect of religion where he married a Catholic Christian despite having a Muslim background. I want to know how the couple lives together. If he ever changed her religion because that's the norm these days.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Dr. Berrah and his wife, Titi have different religious backgrounds, Muslim and Catholic respectively, but this was not a hindrance to their living because they understand each other of their differences in beliefs. And I appreciate that. It shows love and support. Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

I loved the relationship between Dr Ghoulem Berrah and his wife, Titi. Their relationship promoted inter religious marriages, which is not something you see everyday. Great review.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

Their comment on the book's coverage of various topics, including marriage, war, and religion, is helpful, as it highlights the book's multidimensionality and its exploration of complex issues.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”