Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samuel Songs
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Samuel Songs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In his autobiography, A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador's Memoir, Dr. Ghoulem Berrah talks about his childhood, his education in France and the United States, his fight for freedom, and his job as President Félix Houphouet-Boigny's personal assistant. Dr. Berrah, who was born while Algeria was still a French colony, witnessed the gradual destruction of his culture as a result of an educational system aiming to make the students forget their roots. He had no idea that his popularity would come from battling for independence and a unified world.

This memoir was enjoyable to read because it struck the proper balance between the perspectives of a seasoned diplomat, a world changer, and a master storyteller. I admired not only the author's remarkable accomplishments but also his deft writing. The book is proof that he was a master of words. I was inspired by the author's selflessness throughout the entire book. He fiercely advocated for Algeria's independence, served as a peace mediator between warring nations like Israel and Palestine, and spread religious tolerance. I respected him for choosing to wed a Christian in spite of strong resistance from his Muslim family. His concern for others was evident in both his personal and professional lives. He was steadfast in his ideas, organizing student protests and mediating peace at the highest governmental level.

Not all of his hopes for world peace and unification have come true, just like those of other great people who have lived on the planet. Fortunately, because of his deep belief in young people and the solid foundation he has built through his work, achieving a unified world is now conceivable. It won't be simple, but it is possible, as he repeatedly discovered and even emphasized in his book. Above all, he demonstrates that the search for harmony and love within the family must never be neglected in the quest for world unification.

Anyone who is curious about the power of diplomacy and the harmony of the world will enjoy reading this book. Nothing about it bothered me at all, though I would have enjoyed a more fair assessment of the president. Since I haven't read much about him, I don't know what his weaknesses are, so I think this topic wasn't given enough consideration. But ultimately, this comes down to personal taste. Readers who value communication above force in settling disputes and moving toward world peace will greatly value Dr. Berrah's ideas and contributions.

I give this book a score of 5 out of 5 stars because I disliked nothing about it. I noticed only a few errors while reading the book. This shows that the book was professionally edited. Honestly, I am in awe of the author's audience communication skills, which were evident in this book.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
Einsthawkton Edeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-einsthawkton-edeh.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by Einsthawkton Edeh »

What really stood out to me was the author's honesty and openness about his life, including his triumphs, accomplishments, negative encounters, mistakes, and even his love life. You summarized this book well.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

This book is truly a remarkable feat. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's dedication to his cause is inspiring, and the detailed approach he takes in describing his journey and activities is remarkable. I also appreciate the inclusion of pictures of the people mentioned in the book, as this helps to bring the story to life.
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

This book, A Dream for Peace: An Ambassador's Memoir by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah, is a must-read for anyone interested in African history, political books, or activism. Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's unwavering dedication to advocating for his country's freedom was essential to Algeria's independence, and his journey from university to special advisor to the then-president of Côte d'Ivoire is an inspiring one.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Ukaegbu Confidence
Favorite Author: Jaide Harley
Favorite Book: The Elder series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ukaegbu-confidence.html
Latest Review: The Virulence by James C. Hendee
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 5%

Post by Ukaegbu Confidence »

Low key I feel like this book is for a more knowledgeable audience. It doesn't look like a relaxing read. It looks like a history book that should be cherished.
Victory Ositaorah
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victory-ositaorah.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Victory Ositaorah »

I would like to know what you mean by the power of diplomacy and the harmony in the book is enticing and this review could make anyone want to read Dream for Peace. Nice one.
Gavice Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Post by Gavice Victoria »

The author doesn't hold back on any part of his life, including his triumphs, accomplishments, negative encounters, mistakes, and even his love life. The book was professionally edited too.
Tony T
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-t.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Tony T »

Wow, this book sounds like an amazing read! Dr. Ghoulem Berrah's unwavering dedication to his cause is truly inspirational and I'm sure this book will be a great source of motivation for any activist.
Amandaruth Ama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iam-ama.html
Latest Review: The Curse of Northam Bay by Keith F Girard

Post by Amandaruth Ama »

The detailed approach and vivid descriptions make this book stand out from other autobiographies and the pictures of the people mentioned in the book are a great touch. Also, kudos to the author for not holding back on any part of his life, as this makes the book more relatable.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

I'm so impressed with Dr. Ghoulem Berrah and his unwavering dedication to achieving freedom for Algeria. His commitment to resolving conflicts throughout Africa is truly inspiring. I'm also impressed with the detailed approach Dr. Berrah takes in describing his journeys and activities.
Nmesomachi Ambie
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange trial
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesomachi-ambie.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nmesomachi Ambie »

I'm not a fan of autobiographies. Although from your review, I think A Dream for Peace is a very unique one. I'm still not sure I'll be reading it soon but thanks for your review.
Neto Chukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neto-chukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Neto Chukwu »

This autobiography has been one of the most honest one I have come across in a while. The author was honest about his challenges and what he went through to achieve world peace.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

This book is truly remarkable! Dr. Ghoulem Berrah has accomplished so much in his life, and his unwavering dedication to advocating for his country's freedom was essential to Algeria's independence. His work as a special adviser to the then-president of Côte d'Ivoire, where he tried to resolve conflicts throughout Africa, is truly inspiring.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

After reading this book, I had a genuine sense of familiarity with the author and his work. I highly recommend it to readers who appreciate political books, those looking to learn about African history, and activists looking for inspiration. The book was professionally edited, with only three errors
Rose Lineani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-lineani.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Rose Lineani »

Dr. Berrah seems to be a man of substance. This book is a must-read for anyone interested in politics, African history, and activism. I would definitely recommend this book to activists, as well as those looking to learn about African history.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”