Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It’s not often I come across a memoir that I feel particularly connected to. However, A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Barrah is one that I did.

Born in 1938 in Algeria, nobody knew that Ghoulem was destined for greatness. Although his devoted mother made his schooling and education a priority, even she couldn’t have predicted that he would go on to work as an advisor to President Houphouet- Boigny of Cote d'Ivoire. He maintained quite a successful life before securing this significant job. Not only was he sent to prison for protests in his younger days, but he also obtained a Master’s degree and Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Indiana. This was after diligently studying medicine in France.

Luckily for us readers, Dr. Berrah was convinced by Dr. Nana Yalley, his dear friend and neighbor, to ultimately write the remarkable story of his life. I would strongly suggest that anyone reading this review gives this book a chance.

I enormously enjoyed this book. I loved Dr. Berrah’s writing and the way I was able to feel connected to him as a result of it. I find it so bizarre that I am able to sit here today and learn so many things about life because of a baby born eighty-three years ago. I constantly struggle to decide whether I enjoy memoirs or not, but this book has aided me to realize that I very much do. I feel profoundly thankful that Dr. Berrah took the chance to put his life story to paper before he passed away.

One thing, in particular, I enjoyed about this book was that it showed readers that there are no limits to what they can achieve. Dr. Berrah was able to accomplish all the brilliant things that he did even though he came from a country that did not even offer higher education. I find it to be exceptionally inspiring.

Evidently, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loved learning about the author’s life and loved hearing from his wife and friend. I found that reading what his friend, H.E. Monsinger Justo Mullar Garcia, and his wife had to say about him made me quite emotional. I think it is quite an achievement and privilege to make such an obvious impact on people’s lives.

While reading this book, I could not come up with a single negative thing to state about it. I genuinely appreciated the author sharing his impressive story with readers. I found this book to be exceptionally edited, as I discovered no errors whatsoever. As a result of the numerous reasons listed above, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy well-written and thought-provoking memoirs. I believe it would be well suited to all ages as the book contains no profanity at all.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”