Review of A Dream For Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Review of A Dream For Peace

Post by Judy46 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dream For Peace" by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Total peace, although sometimes an illusion, is desired by all. War threatens peace, and nature provides people who tend to teach us to walk in the way of peace. A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah is a memoir written by the author who tells us his life story. It has seventeen chapters, with each chapter describing in detail a particular aspect of the author's life. An Algerian by birth, he was born in Constantine province. He is the only surviving son of his family.

The book begins with the story of Ghoulem's early life. The first chapter covers his birth and the background he was born into. It also goes further to describe his schooling up to the university level. At this point, Algeria was still under French colonization. The second chapter is not all that rosy, perhaps because it highlights the difficulty this author passed through at some point in his life, which spanned through his father's death, racism, and discrimination that he faced at university. This made him establish an anti-racism society to counteract racism and its effects. He achieved a lot during his lifetime; he was a doctor, a freedom fighter, a revolutionist, and the first scientist to formulate a hypothesis that was later identified as the "Reverse Transcriptase Enzyme." He had an eventful life, having circled the world forty times and marrying three times.

This book is nothing short of incredible. I think it has to do with the fact that the man whose life is being described is well accomplished. Ghoulem was a man of peace and tolerance, traits worthy of emulation in our society today. Another thing worthy of admiration was the fact that the author did not let religion get in the way of his relationships with the people in the book, as shown through his actions, like in his marriage and with the diplomat who wrote the prologue. The writing style of the book is very nice. The author employs the use of simple language in writing his story. Although the book talks a lot about history, it is still a major page-turner. The average reader can enjoy this book perfectly.

I did not like the length of the book. It intimidated me at first, until I started reading. This could be a major turn-off for some readers. Another thing was the picture quality. A lot of factors could have contributed to this, but it would have been nice to see them better than they were. I found some minor errors, but they did not disrupt my reading experience.

This book deserves nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. It is a professionally edited work, told with so much enthusiasm and dedication. The life of Dr. Ghoulem is an inspiring one. There are a lot of life lessons to be learned from it. This work would best suit those interested in non-fiction works and memoirs.

A Dream For Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”