Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Osazuwa Ogbebor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osazuwa-ogbebor.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Osazuwa Ogbebor »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Change is always constant. This is totally true, even in healthcare services. Surviving the Business of Healthcare was written by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C. She is a fourth-generation practice provider. Her father practiced too. I guess it was kind of a family thing. She took us on a journey through the changes in healthcare from then till now. She also highlighted most of the problems encountered in the industry today. She educated the reader on health insurance options, the roles of various healthcare providers, how to navigate hospital admissions, and so on. 

Surviving the Business of Healthcare is a wealth of information for anyone who reads it. It is both enjoyable to read and informative. She shares her experience in the healthcare industry not just from the perspective of a practice provider but also from the perspective of a patient. Yes, she documented her experiences with the diagnosis, progression, and treatment of a rare form of skin cancer called "amelanotic nodular melanoma". She emphasized the importance of choosing the right primary care physician. In the book, she advocated the need for a patient-focused approach to healthcare delivery. She mentioned that in the past, medical practice was personal, not business-centered as it is seen today. 

I liked the fact that Regis didn't make the book complicated to read. It wasn't filled with medical jargon like most books on similar topics would be. She made sure to take her time to explain the medical terms used in the book in a simple manner. Another interesting thing about the book is her use of her experiences and scenarios in her life to explain and provide solutions to some of the challenges in healthcare she mentioned. 

There wasn't anything I disliked about the book. It was well organised and written in such a way that any layperson could understand it. I didn't detect any typos in the book as it was exceptionally edited. Also, there was no profanity or sexual content. Kudos to her.

With all that I have said, I would give the book four out of four stars. It was a good read for me, and it raised vital issues in healthcare delivery that, if addressed, will go a long way towards improving the system. I would recommend this book to healthcare practitioners and anyone interested in improving the healthcare system. I actually also think that anyone will gain a lot from this book, as health is a very vital issue that affects us all. 

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”