Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akaraiwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akaraiwe.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Akaraiwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William E. Combs' book, Who Told You That You Were Naked?, is a Christian book with more than five chapters that explore God's grace and plan for redeeming mankind from his sinful nature. We, like all other human beings, are born with a nature that desires to do our own will, which is contrary to the will of God. This nature is referred to in the Bible as "flesh." We can commit sin if we follow our flesh's inclination—lust or desire. Sometimes, we feel as if we can't help ourselves. Adam and Eve ate the fruit, even though God condemned them to not do so. They ate the fruit not just because they were deceived by the serpent, but because they aspired to be like the God they adored. It simply conflicts with God's will in the process of gratifying the desire to be like him. In the text, Combs leads us down the path of overcoming our sinful nature. By giving this message, he first and foremost explores the tale of Adam and Eve, their special time with God, their encounter with the serpent, and the implications of their sin, which affect all mankind.

One of my favorite parts of the book is in Chapter Five, where Combs uses the leper as an illustration of real faith. When the leper saw Jesus, he didn't expect Jesus to cure him; rather, he expected Jesus to cleanse him. The leper was cleansed of his leprosy as a result of his genuine faith. After reading this example of real faith, I couldn't help but believe that my faith is small compared to the leper's. When I am in a terrible situation, all I can think about is God solving my problem. One issue I have is financial difficulty, and I have always prayed for riches. However, after learning more about what true faith entails, I now pray for God's deliverance rather than wealth. Another of my favorite parts of the book is the section on Chapter Seven, where the author talks about the Bible. Here I realize that if we don't have the Bible, we'll have to rely on our own concept of God. I used to try to criticize the Bible because I thought it was just a piece of literature, but now I see that it is more than that. It is an instructive text that helps us build our relationship with God through faith.

The title of the book appears enticing, but after reading it, I was a little disappointed because some of its chapters do not relate to the title of the book. However, this does not detract from the book's engaging and useful content.

This book contains mind-blowing questions that assist the reader in clarifying what they are reading and improving their comprehension of the text. It is well-edited and has no errors. As a result, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This book is recommended for religion and philosophy students who want to improve their critical thinking skills, especially when reading about Adam and Eve and the origin of sin. This book is also for everyone who wants to change their sinful ways and strengthen their faith through Christ.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jerry334
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry334.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Jerry334 »

I love to read this book due to the title. I wonder if it God or the devil that told us we are naked.
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

From the review it seems to be a pretty good book for serious reading. Thanks for sharing a meaningful review.
Happy new year and keep up the good work in OBC.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”