Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Virginia Mati »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden by William E. Combs is a Christian non-fiction read. It is two hundred and forty-two pages long with ten chapters. It explains the events which transpired in the Garden of Eden and how they forever changed God's original plan for human beings. Combs, a retired Presbyterian minister, takes us through a step-by-step process of how sin was introduced into the world, its effect, and how Christ died to redeem humankind from the power and bondage of sin. Combs sufficiently integrates the Old Testament with the New Testament, signifying that it is one piece. For example, he links the story of Cain not being able to avoid the sin that was so much crouching on his door to how Paul describes his desire to overcome evil but ends up doing that which he did not want to do. In some chapters, he uses imagery, making it easier for a reader to visualize what is written.

The inclusion of some reflective questions at the end of every chapter helped me understand the topic. Some of the perspectives I had regarding sin took a paradigm shift. I liked how the author justified his arguments using scriptural references. The author integrated his personal stories into his writing. For example, he narrates how demonic agents disturbed him and his wife at the beginning of his ministry. He links this to the persecutions of a Christian while standing for Christ. I was able to identify with the themes of perseverance, commitment, and dedication which are at the center of this book.

During one of the illustrations, the author referred to Jesus as Joshua, which came without warning and left me wondering whether he was talking about someone else. It is the only thing that I disliked in the book.

Primarily, this book helped me get a better understanding of sin and salvation. It was easier applying the lessons learned to my journey of salvation. I can describe it as life-transforming and reflective. The author uses short paragraphs with simple, well-structured sentences. I did not encounter any grammatical errors, which means it was exceptionally edited. Therefore, I rate Who Told You That You Were Naked? four out of four stars.

As the book title indicates, there is a bias towards the Bible and what it says. Therefore, I would recommend it to Christians. In addition, it would be a perfect selection as a Bible study guide on understanding sin: its origin, consequences, and God’s remedy for it. Lastly, the clergy could refer to it when preparing for speaking engagements that surround the topic.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”