Official Review: Something Like the Truth by Tom Soter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Official Review: Something Like the Truth by Tom Soter

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Something Like the Truth" by Tom Soter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Life is a big joke – it only hurts if you don’t laugh.” This quote from the book perfectly encapsulates Tom Soter’s explorations of the comical, the tragic, and the mundane. Something Like the Truth is a compilation of essays from earlier titles divided into six thematic sections: “Romance,” “Life… and death,” “Lost causes… and found ones,” “Dogs and cats and schools… and nuns,” “Family and friends,” and “Famous folks and me.”

Soter comes from a family of Greek heritage. He’s had a successful career as a writer and editor, and he’s also been teaching and performing improv for decades. The book introduces the reader to many aspects of the author’s life, from his family, friends, and even pets, to his encounters with celebrities.

Crushes, online dating, funny stories, sobering reflections on death, you name it; the book has it covered. The reader experiences joy, sadness, embarrassment, and much more as they travel through the wide variety of themes in the book. The fourth part, in particular, is masterfully structured: it begins with fun stories about pets, indulges in healthy nostalgia that leaves you with warm feelings, and ends with a heartfelt tribute to a professor and friend.

The book’s tone is casual and friendly, with a few literary sprinkles and a generous serving of humor. If you enjoy sarcasm, you’ll likely have quite a few chuckles at passages such as: “The last addition to the Soter pet family was Coco. I think he was a gift to Effie from the boys, but he might also have been delivered by Satan.”

My favorite essay was definitely the one about the author’s father and his passing. It makes the reader intimately familiar with this interesting and witty man named George Soter, and it’s easy to tell how much the author cherished him. Though we feel sorry for his departure, we also celebrate his vivid personality by enjoying amusing anecdotes:
On an emergency room visit to the hospital, I overheard this exchange between a nurse and a groggy George: “Mr. Soter, you have a temperature.”
“No, I don’t think so.”
“You do. I just took your temperature.”
“Well, if you knew, why did you ask me?”
I didn’t dislike anything in particular about the book. The only minor issue is the occasional repetition, as a few essays reference the same events. These occurrences are fairly short and infrequent, however, so they shouldn’t bother most readers.

Something Like the Truth is a wonderful compilation that should please many different audiences. It’s also exceptionally edited, as I’ve only found five minor errors in almost three hundred pages. I confidently rate the book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to everyone. There are brief instances of profanities and discussions of mature themes, but the book should be suitable for teenagers. You might want to avoid this one if you prefer objective, analytical essays.

Something Like the Truth
View: on Bookshelves
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like the casual and friendly tone of the book. It sure would also be nice laughing to the various sarcastic references in the book. Nice review.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I like that the tone of the book is very friendly and humorous. Your review was very well-written and enjoyable to read. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Julius_ wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 05:11 I like that the tone of the book is very friendly and humorous. Your review was very well-written and enjoyable to read. Thanks for the review.
Wyland wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 04:56 I like the casual and friendly tone of the book. It sure would also be nice laughing to the various sarcastic references in the book. Nice review.
The book's tone is just right and very entertaining indeed. Thanks for the comments!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The story seems to highlight a variety of relevant themes. I like that you mention the emotional effects the book will have on readers. I might give the book a try. Thanks for the review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I've been reading too many memoirs and essays lately, so I think I'll have to give this one a miss. But your review was terrific. :D
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Coco sounds like a rascal. Thank you so much for this review I'll check it out.
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

A book that has a compilation of essays? Now that's something I haven't seen that much. I might just give it a read for that. Thanks for your review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Juliet+1 wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 21:11 I've been reading too many memoirs and essays lately, so I think I'll have to give this one a miss. But your review was terrific. :D
derialist wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 04:09 Coco sounds like a rascal. Thank you so much for this review I'll check it out.
adamgreenrock wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 09:43 A book that has a compilation of essays? Now that's something I haven't seen that much. I might just give it a read for that. Thanks for your review!
Nerea wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 16:58 The story seems to highlight a variety of relevant themes. I like that you mention the emotional effects the book will have on readers. I might give the book a try. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for the comments! If you decide to read this, I hope you enjoy it.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for this review! Sounds like a light and heartwarming read for almost everybody. Would love to give it a try! :)
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Ellylion wrote: 30 Jan 2020, 08:39 Thank you for this review! Sounds like a light and heartwarming read for almost everybody. Would love to give it a try! :)
It has its light moments and its somber moments, but overall, I do recommend it to everybody. If you decide to read it, I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for the comment!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

A book covering wide range of themes, from crushes to online dating etc. I was particularly excited with your starting quote. Thanks for the review
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah »

Julius_ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 06:52 A book covering wide range of themes, from crushes to online dating etc. I was particularly excited with your starting quote. Thanks for the review
The book does offer a lot of diversity in its themes. Thanks for the comment!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Tomah wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 12:36
Julius_ wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 06:52 A book covering wide range of themes, from crushes to online dating etc. I was particularly excited with your starting quote. Thanks for the review
The book does offer a lot of diversity in its themes. Thanks for the comment!
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

A compilation of essays? That in itself piques my interest. Now add on the humor and sarcasm, and i'm on board! Thanks for the insightful review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”