Review by rylknotts -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rylknotts
Currently Reading: Playing Chess with God
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rylknotts.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Review by rylknotts -- The Altitude Journals

Post by rylknotts »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David Mauro found himself in a mid-life crisis during his forties. He felt that the had hit rock bottom and was not even sure of who he was. When he was invited to hike a mountain as the team rookie, he was hesitant at first, but when he took the opportunity, it led him down a life-changing path. In his memoir, he wrote about his experience throughout his many adventures and the effect it had on him.

The Altitude Journals was an excellent book that was very inspiring. I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 because not only did it seem professionally edited with no errors, the content was unique and interesting. The book was was, like I said before, was interesting to read. The perspective of the book by writing it from personal experience gave it the effect of real human living.

What I liked most was the beginning when David Mauro told the readers about his feeling of unbelonging as he grew up. He talked about trying different sports and not being successful, but still doing them because he wanted to wear the uniform. The telling of this added to the wonder he felt when he was on his first expedition and the determination he had to reach the summit and keep that success with him forever.

What I disliked most in The Altitude Journals was the profanity and vulgarity of speaking. This is easily overlooked, however, because the book was written in the first person from a real-life situation which means that not everything can come filtered.

The right audience I believe would fit this book ages from 15-50 years. In the personality/person type sense, I think the best group for the book readers to fall into is anyone who likes adventure, is handling a difficult situation of their own, or enjoys to read memoirs and true stories or based on true stories books.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”