Official Review: Merritt Magic by Melinda Merritt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: Merritt Magic by Melinda Merritt

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Merritt Magic" by Melinda Merritt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Merritt Magic begins with the story of a lioness in Ethiopia who succeeds in freeing herself from her captors by remembering the magical power within her. Melinda Merritt uses it as a parable to narrate the history of black African women who were kidnapped and enslaved by white Americans. I think a more suitable word would be “grace” instead of “magic” since it is an inner power connecting them to the Supreme Divine Spiritual Power.

Millions of Africans lost their lives in freedom struggles. They faced two problems: the humiliation associated with kidnapping, and the bodily suffering from being treated worse than animals. I found this part of the book very disturbing. The whites strategically attacked the blacks by convincing them to give up these cultural and spiritual practices; therefore, the blacks saw the need to revive them. Perhaps, the oppression could be overcome by remembering their ancestral knowledge on how to control the elements. The author gives the example of critical moments when she experienced the spirits of her mother and other ancestors coming to defend her family.

Merritt goes further to describe how feminist sages preached the Bible in harmony with the ongoing spiritual communication with their ancestors. This kept hope alive in the community. They also used natural remedies for healing. According to the writer, Eve was the first to receive spiritual wisdom and power by eating from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Moses was married to an Ethiopian woman, but their descendants are not mentioned in the Scriptures. They were prophets and sages who possessed exceptional powers to protect their families. The writer also describes the freedom movement triggered by Martin Luther King, Jr., and others she knew. They had a similar power within them.

In my opinion, Merritt has exaggerated the magical powers of women sages to promote a feminist ideology. History shows that African women have been oppressed not only by whites but also by black men. Ancestral worship and Christianity together seem to be an odd combination. I have not explored this in depth, but I find this book very interesting. I agree that missionaries did much harm to indigenous cultures and traditions. The wounds will take centuries to heal. Nevertheless, Merritt does not seem resentful. Her family of sages continues to follow Jesus Christ with conviction. This is what I liked most about her work.

I am pleased to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It does not seem to be professionally edited, and I found grammatical errors which were distracting. It is recommended for men and women philosophers, theologians and those who are engaged in interfaith dialogue. Social workers, counselors, and feminists will find it inspiring. One does not have to agree with everything that is written, but it is worth reading.

Merritt Magic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Juju15
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juju15.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Juju15 »

I like the metaphor the author made to refer to the women and the fact that she has powers adds an intersting twist. I hope the editorial mistakes don't interfere too much with the story. Thanks for your review (-:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds quite intriguing. I love that she told the story of a lioness as a parable to African women. I'm sure there's a lot of truth here. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

The struggles of African people with slavery is heart-breaking. It sounds like this book was well-written, with the exception of the grammatical errors. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Combining ancestral worship and Christianity does seem to be an odd combination. Your review was very informative and insightful. Great job! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”