Review by Mdindo -- I Know My Way Memoir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mdindo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mdindo.html
Latest Review: I Know My Way Memoir by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson

Review by Mdindo -- I Know My Way Memoir

Post by Mdindo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Know My Way Memoir" by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Know My Way: Always Remember to Color the Sky Blue by Theresa Marafito with Linda Odubayo Thompson is a non-fiction memoir depicting Marafito’s life with a visual disability. This book warmly captures life’s transitions from childhood through adulthood, yet adds the humbleness of doing so from the perspective of one who was diagnosed as legally blind from a very early age. Beginning in the years just prior to World War II, Marafito details both the medical and educational structures in place for those with visual disabilities and what their subsequent prognosis might be if one were to stick to these structures and programs. This includes surgeries, special education courses and schools, the role of learning Braille, and specialized organizations. Moreover, Marafito outlines how each of these, for better or worse, played a part in her overall well-being throughout the course of her life.

What I liked the most about this book is that while Marafito smartly captures her own sentiments of navigating life with a disability, she does the same for those around her including her parents, sister, spouse, children, and friends which brought me fully into her world from the very first page. She is an excellent writer paying attention to details, but keeping the heart of the story intact. Additionally, I enjoyed Marafito’s sense of humor and ability to weave lightness into the heaviness that often accompanies a disability.

Due to my work with individuals who have intellectual disabilities and Autism, I found the supports available to Marafito and her family over the years interesting. At times throughout her young adult life, the programs and assistance she described were rather forward-thinking given it was during the 1950’s-60’s. On the other hand, it was disheartening to learn what supports have been discontinued or haven’t really made much progress since. This historical information I consider to be important as we navigate forward in developing ways to include our peers with disabilities into our everyday lives and communities.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will no doubt read it a second time; therefore, I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I Know My Way kept me enthralled with Marafito’s life and her sheer will and determination to keep giving it her all. This book was well formatted and edited as I only found one typo throughout the entire work and it has an easy flow from start to finish.

I Know My Way, would appeal to anyone who enjoys non-fictional books especially memoirs, those who like human interest stories or work in human services, or those who are personally impacted by a disability as Marafito’s work is both inspirational and grounding.

I Know My Way Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mdindo's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”