Review by Dnegrt -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dnegrt
Currently Reading: Salem's Lot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dnegrt.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Dnegrt -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Dnegrt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak is a fast paced and action packed paranormal thriller written by Lincoln Cole and it's the first part of the series World on Fire by the same author.

It begins the story by introducing us to a mysterious character referred to as the Reverend, who we later know as Arthur, while he begins one last mission against some supernatural entity to rescue her protege Abigail. Then we turn to follow Haatim, a young man who has left India for Arizona after recently losing his younger sister and because of it also his fate. Quickly he gets thrown seemingly randomly into a cat and mouse game between a strange man named George and his stalker, a beautiful woman of color who turns out to be Abigail. Only to realize later that he might be a more important piece in the game. Later Abigail and Haatim will have to stick together to face an even bigger haunting in the town of Raven's Peak as we come to know more about Abigail's past, including Arthur, and Haatim's family. Meanwhile the two of them become more acquainted, and perhaps even attached, to each other.

I enjoyed the diversity of the main characters as well as the dynamic they had with one another, which I thought was well written and even provided some funny moments. The action begins quickly and it's very well delivered in its narration, carrying the most exciting parts of the book. I must say I expected a bit more of supernatural elements, even perhaps a few scares but the book uses the paranormal more as a fantasy element than a fear factor. The plot does a bit of exploring of ideas about God, religion, faith and family mostly showcased in the lives of the main characters, but doesn't dwell to much on it.

It surprised me that only about half of the plot takes place in the town of Raven's Peak, given that it's the title of the book. Right about halfway there is an Interlude that takes place exclusively in the town which I considered to be the scariest part of the book by far. The story also makes some references to how the supernatural operates in something known as The Ninth Circle and how humanity faces it in the form of The Council. But it doesn't explain much more about this entities and how they operate, and it's something that I remained curious about.

I would definitely recommend this book to fans of the genre and those who look for something fast paced and enthralling. It's probably better suited for young adults and older given some of the violence described in it. It is well written and I found practically no mistakes in it. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I think it would be better enjoyed if read next to the others in the series.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dnegrt's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I also reviewed this book a little while back and had similar views on it as you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”