Review of Soul Seeker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexia Kravath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexia-kravath.html
Latest Review: Totem by Charlie Sheldon

Review of Soul Seeker

Post by Alexia Kravath »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Once a respected firefighter captain in his town, Benjamin Poe is on death row for shooting and killing his 21-year-old son, Gabriel. Four years later, awaiting his execution date, Ben still insists that he never intended to harm his son. As his final day approaches, he agrees to tell his lawyer his story. It all began the day the College Inn burned down during Gabriel's shift, killing three of the workers. A few days later, a stranger with glowing green eyes appeared at the scene of the crime. Crighton is Lucifer's best soul seeker, and he had come to play a horrific trick on the Poe family. These events lead Crighton down a new path where he is captured alongside an angel named Ariel and faced with a prophecy of an inevitable war.

In this book, Kaylin McFarren utilizes multiple storylines split into two parts. Soul Seeker includes a family being torn apart by their son's secrets, fated soulmates from warring factions, and throughout it all one long story of redemption. The characters in this book show how good and evil can coexist, each serving their purpose as a part of the whole. Each of them carries an internal struggle in choosing between the two with each decision they make. The author does a great job of tying all of their sub-plots together leading into the conclusion, leaving nothing to feel unfinished. Wherever the story went, whichever life we followed, I was anxious to turn pages and learn more.

I enjoyed how Crighton's character was introduced through Ben's story, and then through Crighton's story, we received closure for Benjamin Poe. Something I found enjoyable was how Soul Seeker had no coincidences. Each person, bit of information, or event ties into the main plot in some way.

There was nothing about this story I could pick out as something I disliked. I rate this book 5 out of 5 starsSoul Seeker is a supernatural thriller and romance filled with action and drama. The characters are realistically written, and the romance unfolds naturally. I noted a few minor errors, but this work does appear to have been professionally edited.

I would not recommend this book to people who aren't open to other interpretations of biblical themes. The plot and dialogue both utilize real biblical themes to create a compelling work of fiction. There are scenes of violence and torture. I would recommend this book to a mature young adult or older audience. It contains profanity and sexual content, including an issue regarding consent that may be triggering.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”