Review of Soul Seeker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peggs5
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggs5.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Soul Seeker

Post by Peggs5 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Soul Seeker" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren is a story of good and evil. The story starts out with an honest, hardworking family man trying to do right by his family and community. Benjamin Poe is the local fire chief in his town and is admired by all the townspeople; however, at home he has an unhappy, unfaithful wife and a troubled son. When a stranger comes to town asking for Ben by name and starts quoting scriptures, he tells him things that only Ben and his family know. Crighton, the stranger, accuses Gabe of being evil and tells Ben that his son’s soul needs to go to hell. After being tricked, Ben accidentally kills Gabe and ends up in prison for the rest of his life.

The story goes on to tell the life of Crighton. Ben’s life isn’t the only one he has ruined. Being a demon, Crighton is bound to evil doings. Crighton, is one of Lucifer’s best men and takes great pleasure in gathering souls. When he meets an angel on one of his missions he starts having feelings for her and is unsure of what is happening but knows that he wants to be with her at all costs. Now he must escape Hell so he can be with her and fight Lucifer for his freedom.

A positive aspect of the book was the turmoil between good and evil. When reading the book you couldn’t imagine anyone coming from Hell having any good qualities or a heart but Crighton shows that it is possible.

I did not find anything negative about Soul Seeker . I was a little concerned if I was going to like the book with a lot of biblical talk and how it would play out, I loved every page of the book and found myself rooting for the enemy. It goes to show that things are not always what they seem. There is good and bad in everyone and it is how you handle it that makes you who you are.

I give Soul Seeker a 4 out of 4 stars . It was very well written and the author really delved into his characters and gave them very good backstories. The book had me hooked from the beginning to the end, I was constantly trying to figure out how it was all going to end.

I would recommend this book to high school children and above. There was no nudity or vulgar sexual content in the book and there was very little profanity. This book’s content is about Heaven and Hell, I feel it would be too much for anyone younger than high school age.

Soul Seeker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Brittney Bluhm
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: Devil Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittney-bluhm.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Brittney Bluhm »

I agree with the initial feeling of anticipation, whether I would like the book or not. The well-rounded characters are what made me fall in love with the book from the start. Reading this review, it makes me wonder if I was too harsh on my rating of 3 stars out of 4; the review hit multiple positive points that I missed and overlooked. I wouldn't necessarily go back and read the book as one of the few narratives who "roots for the enemy" but I understand Peggs5's insights on the matter.
I just discovered this book is the first of four in the Gehenna series. Peggs5, have you read any of the other books? I'm debating on picking up the second book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”