Review of Days of the Giants

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blucabana
Currently Reading: The girl that loved carravalagio
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blucabana.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Review of Days of the Giants

Post by Blucabana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Days of the Giants, written by R.J. Petrella, is an exciting fiction that is centred on the life of a medical intern named Slater Barnes. Slater is a fourth-year medical student at Borough Med in New York City. He is an alcoholic, and this affects every aspect of his life. Slater is diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition. Despite the diagnosis, he decides to train in Boston City Hospital. This hospital is one of the toughest teaching institutions in the United States of America.

At the beginning of his training, he is assigned to the accident floor; it is a horrific experience for him. There is so much blood, pain, injury, and confusion; Slater feels overwhelmed. The protagonist breaks up with his girlfriend, Sofia. He is at a very low point in his life. After a while, Slater finds his purpose and passion in Boston City Hospital. He is inspired by the staff of the hospital, who render service to people without seeking monetary compensation. The infrastructure in Boston City Hospital is dilapidated. The mayor of Boston launches an ambitious plan to refurbish the hospital. However, this plan is hijacked by corrupt politicians. A resident is killed! Can Slater save the hospital and his own life?

This book is simply amazing. During the period that I read this book, I could not stop thinking about it. The character development in this book is world-class. Slater is introduced to the audience as a sick alcoholic, who is disillusioned about his career and life. At the end of the story, he is a responsible young man, who has found his purpose and will do anything to protect what he loves. His strengths and flaws are subtly expressed in the novel. He is intelligent, but he is very emotional and easily gets distracted. Other characters in the novel, such as Pamela, Sofia, and Don Lindy are well-developed.

I love this story because it reflects themes that are relevant to society. Service to humanity is one of such themes. Slater and his colleagues at Boston City Hospital render their professional services to people without really seeking financial compensation. Another dominant theme in this story is justice. Slater and his colleagues fight to protect Boston City Hospital from the wicked plans of corrupt politicians. This is a very entertaining and satisfying story. It is professionally edited; I found only one error in it.

I did not notice any flaws in this novel; consequently, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to medical students who are disillusioned about their careers.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”