Review of The Return of Abaddon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of The Return of Abaddon

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Return of Abaddon" by Peter Mooren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wilder Williams is a natural leader among his peers. Still, he never expected to find himself in a position to lead a war against a powerful demigod-like being from another world. No, Wilder's trip to Hiraeth through a magical portal is not a dream. He is the chosen one, destined to fulfill a prophecy and defeat the mighty Abaddon, who almost took control of the world until the phoenixes defeated him. This time around, Abaddon has had 2,000 years to develop a new plan, and he's not going to let a weakling from Earth stand in his way. But how can one teen hope to defeat a well-prepared enemy when he's had mere days to absorb this new reality?

Wilder may have the prophecy speaking in his favor and a new group of magically gifted friends, but he must find a way to rally the four kingdoms and stay alive. Can he convince the kings and queens to stand behind him when it would be easier for them to submit to Abaddon? Find out in The Return of Abaddon by Peter Mooren.

It's always exciting to finish a good book that leaves you desperate for more! In this first installment of The Scars of Hiraeth series, Mooren left me reeling in the possibilities and excited about the future trials and battles. He satisfactorily set the stage for the series by crafting the perfect chemistry between Wilder and his company of magic users and warriors, outlining the motives of the kingdoms, and depicting the sheer power of Abaddon himself. Wilder and Ethan kept the story lighthearted with their antics, while Iris kept the team focused. Myra and Tahlen brought an air of maturity and wisdom to the group, and I loved watching each company member grow as the circumstances tested their abilities.

The author put an extensive effort into developing Wilder's interactions with two of the kingdoms, while the king of a third kingdom added a sense of mystery to the novel. King Xane was one of my favorite characters, and I loved how he drove the story with his unexpected actions. I can't wait to see what role he plays as the series continues! And, of course, there was Abaddon. The reader witnesses the depths of his dark side and the extensive efforts he has made in his 2000-year absence; it quickly convinced me that Wilder has an enormous obstacle to overcome before peace reigns in Hiraeth.

I loved exploring the magic talents of the main characters, supporting characters, and enemies. My favorite part about the magic use in this book was the specific rules that the author put in place to add limitations. These limitations made it possible for the characters to test the boundaries and find new ways to use their gifts without the magic becoming a convenient plot device that made it too easy for the good guys to succeed.

There was nothing that I disliked about the story, but unfortunately, I found just over ten errors throughout the book. For that reason, I had to reduce the rating to three out of four stars.

I'd recommend this fantasy tale to readers who enjoy quest stories with magic, mystery, and medieval weaponry. This book had a cliffhanger ending leading into book two, so it may not be a good fit if you are looking for a standalone novel. The battle scenes were violent but lacked the specific details to make them gory. There was mild profane language throughout the book but no sexual or erotic content. This book would be well-suited for young adult or adult readers looking for a story similar to Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

The Return of Abaddon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Your review makes me believe that this book is worth a try. Great review.
TheGayOne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegayone12.html
Latest Review: Tarja Titan by TC Marti

Post by TheGayOne12 »

I love a good fantasy novel, and this one seems to be exactly that. Excellent review!
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Hmmm. I’d really love to know William fared in the fight. Great review
Mmaduabuchi Eze
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmaduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mmaduabuchi Eze »

This is a mouth-watering review! Thorough, insightful, and sincere. I, too, am curious to read this series and the subsequent series.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I do hope Wilder will be able to win the war against Abaddon. Your review is well written. Good job
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

It's not about trying, I'm definitely looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the review
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

Raymond N wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 10:54 Your review makes me believe that this book is worth a try. Great review.
Exactly. This review is well-written.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

TheGayOne12 wrote: 08 Apr 2022, 02:44 I love a good fantasy novel, and this one seems to be exactly that. Excellent review!
Really? Wishing you an interesting read then.
Ay Obaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ay-obaj.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Ay Obaj »

I love it when books storyline are constructed perfectly, and contains every single element of thrill. A book like this will surely wow any reader. Thanks for a honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel that makes good use of some classic elements of this genre. I like that the author established boundaries for the various powers, as too often they're used at the plot's convenience. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”