Review by Mirrow Wise -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mirrow Wise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mirrow-wise.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Review by Mirrow Wise -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Mirrow Wise »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voulhire is a kingdom that is known far and wide for its mages, knights, and people. This is a kingdom that boasts of several cities that are unique, rich, and strong. It is to this kingdom that Galen Bray left his war-torn home in the Lands of the Princes to start a new life. To him, this is a second chance at life and he intends on making the most of it. At the top of his to-do list is becoming a capable blacksmith and what is a blacksmith without iron So he sets out to get just that in the town of Alcovia. He is strong-willed and ready to live up to the expectation of the people of Magnum Caelum. This kingdom which is home to industrious people is also home to those who will stop at nothing to see it crumble to the ground. One of such schemers is the Riva Rohiva. This bitter tribe of dancing warriors seeks to get their revenge on all of Voulhire for kicking them to the curb and shaming their ancestors many centuries ago.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies serves as an introduction to the magical fantasy series called We are Voulhire. Because this is more of a foundation on which the events in the series will be built, the author focused on developing his characters and telling their history. He tells of why the Riva Rohiva is going on a killing spree, why Meldorath is feared so much, and who Galen Bray is. However, he left questions as to Rowan’s past unanswered. I trust that this is a deliberate act to keep his readers interested long enough to demystify the ever-annoying Rowan.

Some things that I love in the book are the fact that this novel is interesting, exceptionally edited, suspense-filled, and funny. The only thing that I found a little displeased with is the unnumbered pages. I do not know if this is the case for the kindle book, but the PDF file of the book that I got lacks page numbers. For all those whose PDF readers do not automatically number pages, you may have a hard time keeping track of your progress or even referencing certain statements made in the book. If Matthew Tysz had paid attention to this and numbered the pages of the book, maybe the book would have been 100% perfect.

I have decided to give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for exceeding my expectation in editing, plot development, interesting storyline, etc. Because the unnumbered pages are not a determining factor on whether or not the book was properly written, professionally edited, and interesting to readers, I will not make that a factor in rating the book.

Readers who enjoy reading fantasy, science fiction, and magic-filled novels will find this book fit for their taste. I must however warn that you should not expect much conflict or war since this book is just an introduction to the series like I said above.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”