Review by cats_cats -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cats_cats
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cats-cats.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by cats_cats -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival un...

Post by cats_cats »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, written by Matthew Tysz, is a fantasy book that intertwines the stories of some of the people living in Voulhire, a unified country that has managed to flourish into one of the greatest kingdoms of all. Most part of the book revolves around Galen Bray, a young man who inherits the business of his uncle and travels from the Land of the Princes to the glorious kingdom of Voulhire. At the same time, we are introduced to the life of lord Eldus, a man who, new to his position, tries to fix the mistakes of the lords before him. Simultaneously, this novel tells the stories of other characters and it allows the reader to get a peek at the lives of kings, commoners, lords, and even mages; every chapter oscillates between the experiences of a different person and every single story is truly unique.

What I liked the most about this novel was that it has a little bit of everything. It tells the story of many characters at the same time and none of them is boring. Every time a new character was introduced, the story was so well-narrated that I always wanted to know more about what happened in the life of each person. I love how you never get tired of reading because you can always find something new to explore in each chapter, it almost feels like the whole book is a big puzzle and every page is a piece that fits with another one.

It’s funny, because the only thing that I didn’t like about this book was that I wanted to keep reading and suddenly there were no more pages, just when the story was starting to get even more interesting than it already was, the book ends. I'm not particularly fond of the ending because it didn’t give proper closure, at first I even thought there was a problem with my download and the book wasn’t complete, but that was not the case. However, since it is the first book of a series it’s perfectly understandable because the way it ends keeps you hooked, believe me. I can’t wait to start reading the next one.

This book is professionally edited and I couldn’t spot a single orthographic mistake. Some of the words used are not in English and there are concepts created specifically for this fantasy universe. However, there’s a reference guide at the end of the book, which is pretty useful in case you feel you are getting lost. I find it truly interesting how everything is glued into one big narrative and how you as the reader are connecting all the dots as each chapter passes, which is why I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I can definitely imagine this book being turned into a movie or a TV series with several seasons. If you are not really a fan of fantasy, this novel will be an entertaining reading experience: the book it’s not spectacular but it’s pretty good. However, I would recommend this book for audiences that like stories that include magic or that are set in a medieval time (if you are a Game of Thrones kind of fan, you will adore this book). It had been a while since I last read a fantasy book and this one was the perfect option for me to submerge once again in this wonderful genre.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”