Review by Duke mwas -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Duke mwas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duke-mwas.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by Duke mwas -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Duke mwas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire; Someone Else’s End by Mattew Tysz
Voulhire is the kind of place where using magic to annihilate your enemies is the most effective way to win. It is a world where the people in power take every measure to ensure that they are prepared when and if an enemy attempts to use magic against them. Enter Galen our main character. As he is beginning to learn about this new land that he finds himself in, a deadly assassin attacks the nearby kingdom of Virko. He does it with such ruthlessness that he ends up seriously injuring the king’s men and leaving a mark on the king himself. This is a danger to both the king and the people of Virko.

This prompts the king to try and take measures and increase his security and that of his men but this does not stop the assassin. Attacks keep increasing in number and the number of both injured and dead warriors increases daily. No one knows how this is happening and why they are unable to stop it. The bloodshed and chaos ensues and they are almost to the point of despair.

I liked the action in this one. The author manages to come up with one interesting scenario after another to keep the reader on their toes. The pace of the book was also really good. The scenarios sensibly flowed one after another. I liked seeing the character growth throughout the journey. The dialogue is well written and it help see what kind of people the characters are. The book is filled with tension. I did not dislike anything about this book. I found it enjoyable and quite different from what I was expecting.

There are some dark themes in the book. They include; dark magic which is one of the biggest ones. There is also a lot of death in the book. Some of them have graphic descriptions and although they may help the reader paint a vivid picture in their heads, it may be disturbing for some people to read about. There is also war and deceit. Distrust is also a major factor. In these dark times, the characters have to choose wisely who can be trusted and who cannot.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars as it looks like it might have been professionally edited. I also genuinely enjoyed reading this. I liked how sometimes something would happen in the story that I wouldn’t have seen coming. I also like how there are other books in this series that I get to enjoy as much as I did this one. I would recommend this book to someone who is looking for a good dark fantasy novel.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Artedup
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artedup.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by Artedup »

good review. you managed to highlight most of the interesting points about the story

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”