Review by Fabulous mind -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Review by Fabulous mind -- We are Voulhire: The Fires of...

Post by Fabulous mind »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Following the death of Lord Eldus, Hillport fell into Lord Meldorath's hand. However, due to his betrayal and imprisonment by the King, this powerful mage, filled with hate, plans his revenge on the King and Voulhire at large.

Hillport's fall saw the promise made by Lord Eldus to supply Iron to Magnum Caelum crumble. The city, now in need of Iron, seeks help from the fastest growing city of Voulhire. This made the Mayor of Magnum Caelum request the services of Galen, who is the blacksmith of the city, alongside his two friends, Rowan and Demetrius, to go and get help from Virko.

This journey saw the three friends get involved in the affairs of the city. They learned about a demon, Sod, and they decided to help banish him from the land. But will these friends succeed in this quest, or will they end up unleashing a legion of demons that could destroy the fastest growing city in Voulhire?

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz is the second book in the "We are Voulhire series." The book covers several hidden lessons that revolve around trust, knowing when to sacrifice for other's well-being, and other several lessons I learned from this series.

I loved the author's character development. Coupled with the amazing plot, I found myself glued to the book, to the point that I couldn't help but want for more, even when the pages were exhausted.

The book was narrated in the third person's perspective for the most part, and in some cases, it was narrated in the first person. But I had a little issue with the author's sudden move from the present event to what happened in the past without proper indication. This confused me, and it is what I disliked most about this book.

I was intrigued by how Lord Meldorath manipulated the people of Yamon Soul into bringing his virus into the city, therefore, knowing their every step. Also, I liked how he battled with the Eiodi for his throne as Lord of Yamon Soul. The whole battle was fascinating, and the magic involved was mind-blowing.

In addition, most characters involved in this book played mind games and were calculative. I liked how they reasoned, thus, making things go their way. An example was how Lord Dragan negotiated with the demon, Sod, into sparing the remaining people in the city of Virko, and also, he proposed a way the city should be ruled by this demon without showing any fear. His confidence while speaking with this demon, who had the power to kill him there if he wanted, was daring and this is my favorite part of this book.

This book was edited professionally with few incidences of mild profanity. Based on all that, I saw no reason to deduct a star from this amazing book. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers and people who enjoy reading books about magic and politics.

We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”