Official Review: Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Battlefield Earth" by L. Ron Hubbard.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 by L. Ron Hubbard was initially released in 1982 and has become a science-fiction classic. I jumped at the chance to review this 2016 edition of the book. I had heard it referenced many times as a great science fiction read, but I had never gotten around to reading the tome. I love science fiction. I especially like the science fiction of the 1950s and 1960s because of the adventure and imaginative technology that the authors devised. I knew that Hubbard had written mostly short science fiction then, but I wondered if he could keep his plot and characters exciting and focused through 1,000 pages. Well, he did.

Our hero is Jonnie Goodboy Tyler, born in Colorado nearly 1,000 years after the people of Earth have been decimated by an alien race called the Psychlos. The Psychlos still inhabit Earth, mining it for its metals and minerals. They send the bounty across 16 universes as part of the work of the Intergalactic Mining Company. They are so busy mining and making credits that they are unconcerned with the small pockets of humans that dot the Earth. However, when one greedy Psychlo named Terl decides to have a little fun with some humans, he unknowingly opens a door of opportunity for Jonnie and his friends to fight back.

These many pages offer countless surprises, cliffhangers, and twists that kept me interested. Upon returning to my reading each time, I was eager to see what would happen next. While the prose in Battlefield Earth is not flowery, Hubbard drops some nice description here and there to help draw the reader into his world. For instance, "The faint light of the dying moon reflected from the snowcapped peak behind him and gave a faint luminescence to the plain." (page 233) But the basis of Battlefield Earth is hard science fiction. There are segments of the text that are heavy in scientific jargon and concept, but it is not an overwhelming read, even if you are not into scientific fact and fiction details.

Adding to the 1,000 pages are extras, including Hubbard's very long introduction, an interview with him, and lyrics to songs he wrote to go along with the book. To readers concerned about whether or not Scientology plays a part in the plot, it does not. However, there are questions and answers about it at the end of the book. There is also an opportunity to receive a free ebook that gives more information about the Battlefield Earth characters. I downloaded it, and I found it interesting. I don't know that it really enhanced the book, but it was attractive and well organized. I do note, though, that while several of the characters are well rounded, they are not remarkably diverse.

I give Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3030 4 out of 4 stars. While there are a handful of punctuation mishaps in the text, there were not enough to require removing a star, quite a feat for such a long novel. It has obviously been professionally edited more than once since this is a new edition. Many of the main characters are multi-layered, and the plot is fast-paced. Potential readers should know that there is a little profanity and some violence, but there is no gore. Additionally, there are no sexual situations and no religious undertones.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy good science fiction and like having a well-defined hero. If you appreciate classic science fiction, you will relish this book. It is for readers seeking heroes, adventure, aliens, and sci-fi technology. Because of the rare use of mild profanity and the lack of sexual encounters, I include young adults in my recommendation. However, if you are looking for diverse characters, strong females, fantasy, or a short read, you will need to look elsewhere.

Battlefield Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The title of the book resonates with the name of a video game. I really enjoyed reading your review. It was amazing.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

It would seem "tome" is quite an apt description, considering its 1000 pages and heavy science fiction jargon and concepts. This sounds like the perfect read for those who love action-packed, well-crafted sci-fi. Thanks for the thorough review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this series many years ago, so my memory of the story is really blurred. Maybe one day I'll read it again. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
David Gaull
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by David Gaull »

This book is a good read, certainly much better than Hubbard’s attempt at religion.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I'm awed. I loved your review, it has really made me want to read this book. Thanks a lot for the well-detailed review. Kudos.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”