Review by Marylynn -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Marylynn
2017 Reading Goal: 230
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Review by Marylynn -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn » 24 Nov 2017, 09:12

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Loving is not the first word that comes into the readers mind when they first meet Hiram in the book – McDowell written by William H. Coles and published on the 22nd of August 2015. The book is a fast paced story in literary fiction. The author has written ten other books and more than a dozen short stories so it would be understandable if I don’t go into detail about his other works.

Ambitious, ruthless and cunning are just but a few adjectives that would describe Hiram; president of the board of regents of the international college of surgeons, head of a department of surgery in Denver, loves the adrenaline rush that comes with climbing of high mountains, keeps fit through running marathons, founder of a foundation that up fronts a surgery center in Nepal and on a highway to being in the president’s task force to launch a health care initiative for financing the uninsured. Hiram tricks Michael O'Leary, a key member of the college’s board of governors executive committee, into rallying his medical team behind him during elections with the promise of promoting him (Michael) to the position of executive Director of the college only to appoint Tom Gadner (a colleague).

It is such a pity that Hiram seems to have a phobia for commitment as seen when Carole, his third wife who has practiced clinical psychology, asks for a divorce when she finds out that he has been living with Rima, another woman. Hiram responds by saying that he never promised fidelity; ‘Your choice’, he tells her. He is indifferent to his wife’s needs and even misses her birthday to be with Maria; a random hook up. His selfish nature is revealed when he receives news of Tasha’s, his step daughter, pregnancy. He demands that she aborts the baby citing that Billie, his beloved seventeen year old son, cannot be blamed for Tasha’s mistake. I would, however, play the devil’s advocate and give him credit of being a caring father because he does this to protect Billie whom he terms immature and with a great life ahead of him. Is this book about the rise and fall of McDowell? Find out about his breaking point and his defining moment.

The title is what attracted me to the book. I liked the fact that the author did not go into details when it came to sexual scenes. The author handled the themes of revenge, love, ambition, religion among others with leniency. He allows the readers to make judgement about heavy subject matters such as euthanasia and Lesbianism. I admired the author’s writing style whereby he did not go into detail about petty scenes and issues. For a moment, I thought that the novel was nonfiction. There was a correlation between the tone, pace, mood and flow of the novel. The author addresses the role of the media in reporting free, fair and impartial news. I don’t get along well with my step dad yet in this book, Hiram does not get along well with his step children. This got me wondering whether it is normal for step children to have a strained relationship with their step parents and if it is abnormal, then who is to blame? Who is supposed to be the voice of reason in a family?

However, there seems to be a confusion when it comes to the name Candace and Candice for example in page 31. In page 154 there is an omission in the name Michal; Michael. In page 320, ‘…were at one end the room’’ instead of ‘….were at one end of the room’. Despite the above errors, I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. There is nothing I hated about the book. I highly recommend it to anyone above the age of twelve with a passion for literature. This novel taught me that no matter how well we succeed in hiding our past, it will always catch up with us. I also learnt that we are not always victims of circumstances and that bad situations in our lives are not always pre determined.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Marylynn's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Invisible Martyrs by Farhana Qazi

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Dec 2017, 09:58

Nice review. I have read some of Coles work. He definitely knows how to write characters. They are complex just like in real life! I haven't read this one yet, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 539
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Never Enough Love by AKA John Lazano
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 03 Dec 2017, 13:14

I have heard many good things about Mr. Coles. In fact, I have on my Kindle at least two of his books (including McDowell). I need to start reading them.

Thanks for bolstering his reputation, Marylynn!

Amagine
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine » 04 Dec 2017, 12:29

This sounds like a really great novel, especially if it serves to teach its readers many lessons. I should check this one out.

Great Review! 😁
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Outdoor Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 10 Dec 2017, 05:53

I really enjoyed the bit I read for The First Ten. I've been meaning to pick it back up and now your review is inspiring to go do just that. Thanks for the great review!
Latest Review: "OMG! We"re Pregnant" by Dr. Paul Peebles

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Uncharted by Lyle Sopel

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 11 Dec 2017, 21:16

This is a great, comprehensive review. Thanks for reviving my interest in the book, I could open it in my Amazon library.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: At Home in Mitford
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Maltese Incident by Russell F. Moran

Post by kdstrack » 13 Jan 2018, 14:11

Great review, Marylynn. Your description of Hiram's character is very well done. I also liked the themes you pointed out. Very encouraging review. Thanks.

Marylynn

Post by Marylynn » 24 Feb 2018, 12:20

kdstrack wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 14:11
Great review, Marylynn. Your description of Hiram's character is very well done. I also liked the themes you pointed out. Very encouraging review. Thanks.
Thanks. I think you should also try out the book. :techie-studyingbrown:

Marylynn

Post by Marylynn » 24 Feb 2018, 12:22

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote:
11 Dec 2017, 21:16
This is a great, comprehensive review. Thanks for reviving my interest in the book, I could open it in my Amazon library.
Thanks. I am sure that you will love the book.

Marylynn

Post by Marylynn » 24 Feb 2018, 12:24

Mallory Whitaker wrote:
10 Dec 2017, 05:53
I really enjoyed the bit I read for The First Ten. I've been meaning to pick it back up and now your review is inspiring to go do just that. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks. You should try it out, I bet that the book will interest you.

Marylynn

Post by Marylynn » 24 Feb 2018, 12:27

Amagine wrote:
04 Dec 2017, 12:29
This sounds like a really great novel, especially if it serves to teach its readers many lessons. I should check this one out.

Great Review! 😁
Thanks. I am glad to learn that you enjoy reading books that teaches its readers many lessons. I am sure that you will enjoy this one too.

Marylynn

Post by Marylynn » 24 Feb 2018, 12:31

Miriam Molina wrote:
03 Dec 2017, 13:14
I have heard many good things about Mr. Coles. In fact, I have on my Kindle at least two of his books (including McDowell). I need to start reading them.

Thanks for bolstering his reputation, Marylynn!
Welcome. It is true that Mr. Coles is such an exceptional writer. I would really love to read his other works. I am sure that you will enjoy the ones you have on your kindle.

Marylynn

Post by Marylynn » 24 Feb 2018, 12:34

kandscreeley wrote:
02 Dec 2017, 09:58
Nice review. I have read some of Coles work. He definitely knows how to write characters. They are complex just like in real life! I haven't read this one yet, though.
Thanks, I would really love to try some of Coles works. He definitely has the knack when it comes to writing. You should try this book am sure you will love it.

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 02 Oct 2018, 09:01

This is the last range of the selfishness Marylynn you have discussed in your review when McDowell tries to save his son Billie from his crimes and sins. He cares only for himself and for his generation but step generation is not important for him. You have a good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”