Review by BookSeed -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
BookSeed
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookseed.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by BookSeed -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by BookSeed » 03 Oct 2017, 10:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It was a great pleasure and privilege to read this book. Hands off to the author for a marvellous work of fiction, for absolute literary greatness.

We meet Hiram McDowell, an American man with a complex man with an even more complex life and we are immersed into the journey of his life and his family’s life. Hiram is a surgeon, a father, a husband, a humanitarian, and a pursuer of his highest potential. We are told the story of his life, how he has relentless ambition and drive to succeed above and beyond, which only leads him to greatness. However his own ferocious approach to life starts to back fire on him as he losses all he worked for, he makes a few bad decisions that he pays for dearly but not without the growth and introspection that any significant life event can cause. His children are not spared as they also have to deal with the aftermath of their father’s tumultuous life.

Hiram is a strong character, very well depicted and created with layers and layers of humanness, flaws and all, that I loved going through and discovering. There are times I hated him and times I pitied him…I would at times recognise him as a friend and at others a foe…this story is just amazingly written by William H. Coles. It is difficult to put this book into a genre due to its multifaceted themes, but it is definitely a drama. McDowell appears to be self published however it definitely gives the impression of being professionally edited, with very few errors in language and grammar and perfect structure.

Through this novel Coles brilliantly addresses a vast array of relevant issues such as euthanasia, divorce, adultery, religion, journalism, third world humanitarian aid, death, the American justice system, homelessness, music and its culture and he pays tribute to the cities and towns that the story is set in, allowing them to come alive even to a complete foreigner as myself, who has never been to the USA. There is never a dull moment in this book as Coles takes us from one topic to another, using the characters to explore each theme to a satisfying depth.

I honestly cannot fault this book anything. I liked it. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars and I hardly ever do that. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good read, male or female, young or old, from any walk of life. This book is the kind that any and every reader will relate to one way or another.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like BookSeed's review? Post a comment saying so!

Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: Call Her Miss Ross
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa » 02 Oct 2018, 09:12

Hello Bookseed you have done a great job in putting such a wonderful review. You have well explained the details of McDowell character and his family and friends and aliens.

Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde » 05 Oct 2018, 18:46

BookSeed wrote: ↑
03 Oct 2017, 10:31
[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Through this novel Coles brilliantly addresses a vast array of relevant issues such as euthanasia, divorce, adultery, religion, journalism, third world humanitarian aid, death, the American justice system, homelessness, music and its culture and he pays tribute to the cities and towns that the story is set in,
These are some interesting themes. I've just downloaded a copy so I look forward to reading about this current and relevant topics.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”